I Opted Out of Ebay Global Shipping Program

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by SoCal Sam, Jan 25, 2018.

1. willyrover

willyrover Super Member

I skip over listings that use GSP. In fact, I wish eBay offered a search results filter for that.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

I once shipped a $7.50 packet of specialized precision washers to Italy. I tried to talk the buyer out of the sale, but he said he couldn't find them anywhere else. The postage and all that cost about $40, and once they hit Italy, tracking died. I never got a complaint, so I assume they were delivered. I said "no more".

Then I noticed quite a few of my obsolete Mercedes parts were getting shipped to an address in Florida - same street, but different box #. I looked into it, and it was a combination mail box/mail forwarder. Ends up they buyers were from Cuba or South America using that service to get the parts. From then on, whenever a foreign customer would ask about international shipping, I would give them the forwarder's number. They could sign up, get a US address, then get have their package sent to them. Once delivered to the address, my obligation is fulfilled. It eliminates returns, since THEY have to pay return shipping.

I'd say 85% of the people I sent to the service signed up and made the purchase. So far, no complaints or returns.

3. kmolles

kmolles AK Subscriber Subscriber

I did opt out of GSP a few months ago. Mostly I sell tubes on eBay. GSP was great for awhile.....then tubes I was selling overseas weren't being delivered because once they got to Kentucky, cutoms would confiscate the merchandise as "prohibited"! They (GSP) did fully refund the buyer and let me keep the money. It happened three different times, so I dropped out. It pained me to see some of the Premium tubes taken and who knows where they go. My sales did increase once I pulled out of GSP. They only Country that was problematic afterwards was Russia. I no longer sell there.

4. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Just sold another part that is going to a freight forwarder in Florida. That must be the cheapest way since I see so much of it.

5. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

there have been several threads on US shipping overseas.

One Canadian was all postal (bad pun) about everything. then it came out that he refused to
    pay extra. he didn't like the $9 for one ounce shipped to Canada (new rates - his government's
    revenge for years of cheap rates to Canada and lower than inside the US).

didn't like the GSP even though in some bad circumstances, protects both buyer and seller.

then I suggested, that unless he lived at true north, find a post office on the US side closest
    to him, ask about general delivery and have everything sent there or to some UPS store
    on the US side.

no further input,. I suspect he was angry at the world for some minor/major/theoretical reason
    and chose to kick the wife and kiss the dog.

I see a lot of this type of diverted proxy anger so sometimes it's not really about the issue at hand.

maybe I should ask about how many purchases/misses we talking about.... if there was one in
    the last 5 years then we all get it....

6. G7Trader

G7Trader Active Member

Wow me & you have a lot in common!!

Me and ebay are also enemies because of bad buyers. Over the years I must have opened dozens of accounts and got immediately closed down.

Now I finally know how to fool ebay into thinking its not my account. Current account is 11 months old steady trading £10,000 a month selling limit.

With this account I registered at computer cafe, different IP address, different computer, new paypal, new email, new phone number, fake name and address. Is this what you do to avoid detection?

What are the chances this account will last next 12 months?

Any tips how to get straight back on after this one gets KO.

last 4 weeks I've done nearly £4K in sales plan to double or triple in next few months.

I sell hi fi.

7. malden

malden Super Member

This is why I don't buy audio gear on ebay anymore...

8. malden

malden Super Member

What countries are you referring to, brother?

9. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

South Africa, Russia, etc...
    Anywhere eBay won’t GSP to appears to have unsecure mailing. Even some European countries don’t have secure post.

If Ebay blacklists a country for shipping, you know it must have a problem. Ebay just wants money, that’s what business is for. Since buyers are a source of money and sellers are just junk jockeys, Ebay loves buyers. If Ebay won’t help ship to buyers in a country, it’s obvious that country has S***hole stratus. QED

It’s weird. Denmark is out but Brazil is in.
    Brazil customs is a bitch. Stupid expensive and they have blocked vintage gear. !?!?

10. G7Trader

G7Trader Active Member

Let me tell you how to do international shipping.

Rule number 1 - never give a buyer a shipping qoute of more than £27. Do you think a buyer will pay £70 shipping to buy a £100 item? No chance.

Your item price has to be £50 higher so you will incl abit of the international shipping price already.

With vintage used items there is no fixed price like there is with new items. For a Pioneer SX 434 in UK you can charge £70 - £150.

11. G7Trader

G7Trader Active Member

I think GSP is only for ebay personsl sellers not ebay business sellers?

Any how I use InterParcel or ParcelHero.

12. CoogarXR

CoogarXR Super Member

I have yet to have an issue with GSP. Yeah, tracking is flaky and it can be nerve-wracking sometimes waiting a month for your item to get to it's destination, but all has gone well so far.

13. malden

malden Super Member

I understand that there are countries that may not have the same level of postal service as the U.S. but I don't think it's fair to categorize any country as a s-hole.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    mhedges likes this.
  14. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

Crooked postal workers in South Africa sell pouches of mail, unopened, for about US$300. The buyer, also crooked, may get nothing but worthless bills and letters — or may get cash, checks, jewelry, etc. A small percentage of total postal volume to be sure, but a well-known racket. No doubt in some other countries too.

15. riverrat

riverrat professional camper

Reading this thread with interest. I always turn off international shipping options. Just don't want to deal with it.

But I'm getting ready to sell a beautiful set consisting of a Marantz 2130 tuner and matching 1300DC integrated. They are the international models with selectable 110/120/220/240 voltage. As such, I have no doubt they would be of interest to international buyers. So considering using eBay GSP.

One hitch is that the 1300DC may sell for more than $2500 (hoping) which seems to be the upper limit of insurance.

16. Awesomeaudio

Awesomeaudio AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just on that bit where you mentioned not putting the real value price on the customs slip. Here in Australia we have to pay customs duty for items over Aus$1000. Say I purchase an item for Aus$5000 and have the seller mark its value as Aus$900 to avoid the duty. Is there anyway customs can see the original purchase price ?