I Regressed And Bought A New Watch

Did you get that from eBay? I saw one just like it last week. Very nice!
Yeah that might have been mine. I bought the Speidel band. The watch came with a green nylon band. Mind the date. I hadn't figured out the trick for changing date on vintage Timex movements till this past Sunday.

Those Timex auto movements are the ugliest looking things ever, but like anything old Timex they are almost indestructible. The secret is the DuraAlloy bearings. They are a lot cheaper than jewels and work just as well. That is why Timex made such cheap watches late lasted so long.

I could not find the wr rating on the Parnis. Please tell me it is more than the minimum 3 ATM.

I've seen 6 ATM ratings for this model but who really knows. It does have screw crown with rubber seal. Back is screw with channel rubber seal. Domed crystal is fairly thck as well. Not sure what the He valve looks like, there is some give as if pressure would compress the rubber seal (if present). It would be interesting to remove the Mingzhou and pressure test the case.

Yeah that might have been mine. I bought the Speidel band. The watch came with a green nylon band. Mind the date. I hadn't figured out the trick for changing date on vintage Timex movements till this past Sunday.

Yep, I saw that one!. I HATE changing the dates on Timex'. Your fingertips gets sore real fast.....!

Last edited:
I've seen 6 ATM ratings for this model but who really knows. It does have screw crown with rubber seal. Back is screw with channel rubber seal. Domed crystal is fairly thck as well. Not sure what the He valve looks like, there is some give as if pressure would compress the rubber seal (if present). It would be interesting to remove the Mingzhou and pressure test the case.

With all of that it should be at least 10 ATM. My Seiko 007 with solid back and screw down crown is rated at 20. My new 5 above with display back and no screw down is rated at 10. That is where the knock offs don't do well. They have a lot of features that look good on paper but don't come together well in production.

Those Timex auto movements are the ugliest looking things ever, but like anything old Timex they are almost indestructible. The secret is the DuraAlloy bearings. They are a lot cheaper than jewels and work just as well. That is why Timex made such cheap watches late lasted so long.
I’m fine with ugly. It’s part of their charm. They’re all riveted together and almost look like they were hewn from a solid piece of metal. Every time I check the time on it I’m amazing that metal bits have been flinging around in there for forty years and yet it still keeps accurate enough time. A prominent watch YouTuber says in one of his videos that Timex had some defense contracts for missile guidance systems and the like. They took that R&D and put it towards their watch movements. Interesting stuff. And here we are in 2018 with many working survivors.

Yep, I saw that one!. I HATE changing the dates on Timex'. Your fingertips gets more real fast.....!
When you spin it and the date changes go to about 3am. Back to 10pm. Twist it forward once more and the date changed again. Up to 3. Back to 10. Forward it. Repeat as much as you need to.

I’m fine with ugly. It’s part of their charm. They’re all riveted together and almost look like they were hewn from a solid piece of metal. Every time I check the time on it I’m amazing that metal bits have been flinging around in there for forty years and yet it still keeps accurate enough time.

When you spin it and the date changes go to about 3am. Back to 10pm. Twist it forward once more and the date changed again. Up to 3. Back to 10. Forward it. Repeat as much as you need to.

Yep, spun those Timex many times. When I was into vintage watches I had 40 to 60 of them. They are a scream.

With all of that it should be at least 10 ATM. My Seiko 007 with solid back and screw down crown is rated at 20. My new 5 above with display back and no screw down is rated at 10. That is where the knock offs don't do well. They have a lot of features that look good on paper but don't come together well in production.

None of them are pressure tested so none of them carry wr rating worth a damn. You are right about the variability of production. I got one example that is well made but another that has a protruding crystal and stiff bracelet links. Real makers would never allow line defects to be released.

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure Parnis is where the serious homage makers like Ancon and Ginault source cases and bracelets. Parnis case is well made and finished and has some heft on the wrist. Bezel is 90 to 110 click, seen both counts, with decent action.

Yikes that’s a ton!

They are so cheap that it was easy to go crazy. When I pulled the plug on the watch hobby I dumped over 300 of them in a year. I am back up to 4 that I actually wear and about 20 put away and half built. Watches are so boring compared to audio.

None of them are pressure tested so none of them carry wr rating worth a damn. You are right about the variability of production. I got one example that is well made but another that has a protruding crystal and stiff bracelet links. Real makers would never allow line defects to be released.

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure Parnis is where the serious homage makers like Ancon and Ginault source cases and bracelets. Parnis case is well made and finished and has some heft on the wrist. Bezel is 90 to 110 click, seen both counts, with decent action.

There are less than 10 Chinese watch case makers and final assemblers. There are a few more scattered through Asia but that is about it. Most of them can do some decent work....it just depends on the company that orders them want to spend on them.

There are less than 10 Chinese watch case makers and final assemblers. There are a few more scattered through Asia but that is about it. Most of them can do some decent work....it just depends on the company that orders them want to spend on them.

$100 on ebay. Seen them on DHGate for $75. If reseller and distributor are present, this implies manufacturer wholesale of 40 and manufacturing cost less than that. Whatever the real numbers are, this is very little money for the details that are included. I've compared the case and bracelet feature for feature using youtube videos and it is all there.

I'm picking up a "Junkers." lol, an automatic made in Germany. I actually had one, but lost it.

I know what a Junkers is and for those that don't know German, Junkers is pronounced YOUn-kers. They are nice watches......but they need a new name for English speaking markets.

Last edited:
Bought this one for no other reason than the chrono does 1/100 of a second for the first minute, then the hand freezes and moves again for split-lap times. Stuff I will never use, but I'm a gadget junkie.
It really has no right to be as good as it is for what I paid for it.

ochstin-top-brand-luxury-chronograph-sport.jpg

After wearing my new "5" I think I am going to sell the "Sea Urchin" I like this one so much that I doubt I will wear the Urchin much. eBay here I come!

Back
Top Bottom