I Regressed And Bought A New Watch

Got my dad's Timex back from that cat in Florida. She's purring like a kitten, and I've rediscovered my love affair with watches.

Oh, and Dad actually owned one of those awesome Pulsar Digital watches in the late 70's, where you had to actually push a button to see these cheesy red numerals.

It ended up in my toy box, and is lost forever. GOD I wish I had that.

My dad HD one of those red LEDs watches as well.

I got exactly what I needed at GW Outlet today. Invicta 8 watch carry case...already populated with my crappy watches.

Q2L5pdR.jpg

tEkUmqW.jpg

It's dead, Jim. Killed my Seiko 007 diver on Friday. Less than a year old. Took it off to scrub pots and pans since I've got the leather band on it and it dropped straight down to the hardwood floor. Only runs at certain angles.

My watch guy said that means a "back spring" (IIRC) is busted. With older Seiko divers, he could just replace that part. No more with the 7s26 mechanism. He'd have to drop in an entirely new mechanism, bringing the repair cost over the cost of purchasing a new one. He called it the Seiko diver's "fatal flaw." He's seen many killed with such a shock to the system.

That's the problem with an expensive "beater." If it breaks, it's a throw away since the economics make no sense to repair. I don't need a beater I have to treat like my Rolex, so I may go battery. My wife has a Momentum diver, so I'm looking at their Torpedo Pro Diver. Japanese movement. Quartz. Five-year battery life.

iu

But the automatic lover in me is looking at the more expensive Deep Blue Diver 1000. Automatic and hackable Seiko NH 35 mechanism. Dare I go back to a Seiko movement having been burned by my own momentary stupidity and klutziness? Gonna have to think about this. My watch guy says "go battery," but my inner snob is wrestling with this practical advice.

diver-1000-automatic-diver-black-bezel-black-dial-orange-second-hand-1.png

I have a few Tags and love them, haven't bought a new one in years. But lately I've been thinking............:idea:
Don't really want to drop 1500 bucks though

But the automatic lover in me is looking at the more expensive Deep Blue Diver 1000. Automatic and hackable Seiko NH 35 mechanism. Dare I go back to a Seiko movement having been burned by my own momentary stupidity and klutziness? Gonna have to think about this. My watch guy says "go battery," but my inner snob is wrestling with this practical advice.

The NH 35 is pretty much a hackable 7S26.

The 007 has a well deserved rep as being tough and robust. But any watch can be broken and at least you not out a huge amount of money. I have both quartz and auto and it really matters not to me how the item tells time....as long as it works.

On first gen Orient Mako is my normal beater but I've had my eye in a standard Momentum Torpedo... the one with a very clean dial. Just under $100.

I have a Deep Blue Juggernaut Chrono and I love it. It's in my top 4 rotation. Any Deep Blue had been on my grail list, and when a 1000 meter Juggernaut crossrd my path at the exact moment I could afford it I chalked it up to fate and dug into my pocket. I hane NOT regretted it for a second.
20190212_102444~2.jpg

These are my current go to watches - none of them expensive.

The one on the left is a Brathwait automatic - this is an online-sales-only start-up watch company that does "minimalist" watch designs.

The middle watch is the Seiko Solar Chronograph with a new watch band.

The Timex on the right, I bought that at Target about nine years ago for $40 and put a nice leather band on it.

Cheers,

Snade

20190226_120506.jpg

These are my current go to watches - none of them expensive.

The one on the left is a Brathwait automatic - this is an online-sales-only start-up watch company that does "minimalist" watch designs.

The middle watch is the Seiko Solar Chronograph with a new watch band.

The Timex on the right, I bought that at Target about nine years ago for $40 and put a nice leather band on it.

Cheers,

Snade

View attachment 1432802
Very nIce!

Consider a Luminox. My Navy Seal model has been going strong since 1997 and it's very accurate. It's my daily watch and I'm hard on watches. I've barely worn the two other recent purchases.

Consider a Luminox. My Navy Seal model has been going strong since 1997 and it's very accurate. It's my daily watch and I'm hard on watches. I've barely worn the two other recent purchases.

I've been eyeing Luminox. The leatherback models are reasonably priced. And Swiss is good.

Edit: Some nice prices on Ebay on the Navy Seal models.

0301-S90-_2016_1200x.png

Last edited:
Any of you ever bought a Certino? Swiss made, you can get a automatic diver from some of the web sites for under $600. It's rated at -6 seconds a year. I hate to buy something I've never heard of before though

Any of you ever bought a Certino? Swiss made, you can get a automatic diver from some of the web sites for under $600. It's rated at -6 seconds a year. I hate to buy something I've never heard of before though

In typical fashion, we are going from a cheap beater to $600. If one of you suggests a Rolex Sea Dweller...

Like you, I'm wary of brands I have never heard of.

I've been eyeing Luminox. The leatherback models are reasonably priced. And Swiss is good.

Edit: Some nice prices on Ebay on the Navy Seal models.

0301-S90-_2016_1200x.png
Very handsome design. I'd buy that, if I didn't already have an excess.

Last edited:
In typical fashion, we are going from a cheap beater to $600. If one of you suggests a Rolex Sea Dweller...
Like you, I'm wary of brands I have never heard of.
My bad, I didn't know this was just for "cheap" watches.

Asian movements are just as good if not better than anything from Europe in the same price points. Most of the cheaper Swiss movements have Chinese parts assembled in Swiss fact factories.

If it looks nice to you, buy it
I agree about the parts but there's more about the watch than a picture on the web. Most of the nicer watches have some heft to them and a much better bracelet that cheap watches. But again I didn't know we were just talking about low end.

Asian movements are just as good if not better than anything from Europe in the same price points. Most of the cheaper Swiss movements have Chinese parts assembled in Swiss fact factories.

If it looks nice to you, buy it

I have to agree as far as the Japanese movements. Miyotos are as smooth and accurate as the average user could ask for. The Chinese still have a little way to go. The Russians are making ground also, and doing more complications. Authentic Ciabas and Vostoks are very nice peices.
I always say "Buy the nicest thing your budget allows, and don't be afraid to enjoy it."

Back
Top Bottom