I see vinyl is finally in decline (again)

I have no problem with it, did $29.99 x 2 for the youngest on Black Friday at a little mom and pop shop in Yellow Springs Ohio

Have a few buddies out in Ohio. A good friend Justin who grew up in Akron. He's back in Ohio no, was a college roommate in the early 2000's, hes probably one of the only people I've stayed in touch with. Not sure why I shared that LOL

Do you guys have a brans and noble? They have LP's same with Frys. I've found great deals at both spots. Landed the U2 1980-1990 "the best of" for 20 bucks, it's double that online.

I remember when Rush's A Farewell to Kings came out and I didn't have the $17 to buy it.

Wow, your record store was a rip off. I bought all of Rush's albums while they were being released, and they were the normal price for LP's at the time around 6 to 7 dollars. I still have my copies and they have the price tags of when I purchased them. Now the expensive ones that I remember when new were all double LP's, some of Elton Johns, Good bye Yellow Brick Road, Blue Moves, and Zep's, Physical Graffiti. and ELO's double album "Out of the Blue", all running between 12 to 14 dollars.

Wow, your record store was a rip off. I bought all of Rush's albums while they were being released, and they were the normal price for LP's at the time around 6 to 7 dollars. I still have my copies and they have the price tags of when I purchased them. Now the expensive ones that I remember when new were all double LP's, some of Elton Johns, Good bye Yellow Brick Road, Blue Moves, and Zep's, Physical Graffiti. and ELO's double album "Out of the Blue", all running between 12 to 14 dollars.

That’s what I seem to remember. I really don’t think I would have come up with that much for some vinyls at 12. :)

If you like the sound of vinyl, that's great. But I fear that vinyl is only having a 'last gasp' revival, driven by retro fashion. It will decline again.

Of course this is true. 100%. We all predicted it years ago, on this site.

I think small population countries like NZ, Australia etc move quicker en-masse than a large population such as the US. We are more nimble and trends come and go faster. There is a delayed effect in a large population- you haven't seen the peak yet perhaps.

It's just a playful, retro indulgence. Indulgence, because the new prices of vinyl records can only be described as such. But on the bright side, the existing records store owners aren't stupid either, the few I know around me have been buying and stockpiling CDs for the next retro-kick in a few more years. One I know has dumped about half his stock of 2nd hand vinyl and isn't buying anymore. He said it peaked about two years ago.

It's funny how the situation was reversed when CDs first came out, when a record was $9 and a CD $18.

Yep and now the flop, it’s the nature of the game. Remember when iPod was the thing and CDs were starting to fade? In 10- 20 years CD will be hot again... tape tried to make a come back... it has its followers but really didn’t make as big of a splash as LPs. :)

So what's the consensus then, is it us (the old farts) or them (the young kids) buying the majority of vinyl? All I know is there is a pretty similar mix when I browse the new vinyl section at our biggest music retailers.

It's funny actually to see guys my age picking up Colour By Numbers- Culture Club at $59 or an equally expensive Rumours and I think to myself, didn't you buy that 35 years ago and play it to death back then? Didn't you buy it on CD too? And now you're buying it again- on record? Oh well, it's all fun. :)

So what's the consensus then, is it us (the old farts) or them (the young kids) buying the majority of vinyl? :)

I am in the shops around here a few times a month. 9 out of 10 people when I am there are half my age, the 10th one is me. Could be the time of day :dunno:, I go at lunch when I have a chance. But it was the same when I was in Ohio for Thanksgiving.

Well that's a good sign for vinyl. :)

Yeah but I think it's going to drop off again in a few years and the big stores will stop carrying LPs . The small shops will do ok I think. A couple here never went away, they started selling more CD's but always had vinyl. Plus online sales will probably never go away.

i started to buy and listen vinyl in 2006 when i was 24. i still do now. so i hope these 20 something are like me.
let me share the vinyl resurgence scene in china. i was invited to a chat group on cellphone, like what's app. the group reached the 500 member cap in less than 2 months. most of the members are newbies, in their 20s or 30s. i am also a mod of an interest group forum similar to reddit, most members are young people born in 90s or 00s. That group has almost 10000 members.
Price of Chinese records released in 80s, 90s have risen to 5x-10x of the price when i started collecting in 2006. Some rare ones even 30x the price due to limited copies released in the 80s.

Every time I read posts about vinyl, I can not help but thinking about when that term started. When I was young, we bought and played 45's or singles. When we could afford it, we bought albums, or LP's as they were called back then. I can not ever remember someone calling them vinyl-wax (maybe) but not vinyl. Should we start calling 78's shellacs? I think I will go listen to a polycarbonale while I wait for an answer as to when the term started.

Every time I read posts about vinyl, I can not help but thinking about when that term started. When I was young, we bought and played 45's or singles. When we could afford it, we bought albums, or LP's as they were called back then. I can not ever remember someone calling them vinyl-wax (maybe) but not vinyl. Should we start calling 78's shellacs? I think I will go listen to a polycarbonale while I wait for an answer as to when the term started.

Not sure how far back you are talking but we where calling it vinyl in high school, early 80’s in the mid-west.

Back
Top Bottom