I shouldn't, I didn't, but I might ...

bully

bid on an AU-717 integrated.
I don't need another piece, lawdy knows I need to sell some stuff.
But, y'know I sold my gorgeous G-9700, and I'm Sansui-less.

Less than 3 hours to ponder my decision.

Bully- if it's the one I had been looking at, if the picture is the actual unit it's one fine looking piece.

I believe the CC/MO only payment is keepng the price reasonable.

Yup, if that is the unit, it is beautiful. Think it would make a nice preamp with one of my amps, use the 717 for a second pair of speakers.
The problem here is that I keep reading Fred's posts ... ;) but he won't give me one of his!

Well, I would say you absolutely cannot go wrong with the 717. Its just a flat-out great piece of gear, period. I`m thinking of buying another one ( with so many floating around on ebay) as a spare parts unit, just in case. I love mine. No monster watts here, but you wont miss em. Just clean, quite, beautiful sounds.

If you can, try and track down the matching tuner, another fine piece of gear.

John ( member AU717 fan club )

Well, Pete- how did it go with the auction? (I didnt see an Ebay Link to check)

The AU-717 is a very popular Sansui model and has always been highly regarded in any hi fi mag reviews Ive read. (Ditto the matching tuner TU-717) Its quite good with 4 ohm speakers and difficult speaker loads as well-as per mag review tests.

Its very doubtful that I would ever part with my AU-717.

B/F.

I sniped, but not high enough!
I do want to know about your newest coup, BF!
Glad to know someone else has a bunch of BIG amps, too!
Are you bi-amping the big Ren's?
How're you gonna put the new guy to use?
Inquiring minds ... mebbe I should ask on yer other thread!

Hello there Wooly Bully:

Well, with two BA-5000's ("double your pleasure") I configured them to run in bridged mode which in effect combines both 300W amps as one 600W plus amp. 600 + meaning, two bridged BA-5000's can actually put out in excess of 700W if need be as the amp exceeds its ratings on the test bench (as per reviews in Audio & Modern Recording Mag, 1977).

Of course, I do not require anywhere near THAT much Enormous Power. Most of the time while playing music, the power meters indicate that the mighty BA-5000's are loping along in the 1 to 10 watt range- which leaves me with about 690 Watts to spare :)

The bridged configuration allows me to use both BA-5000 simultaneously (thought one by itself is more than sufficient). Also, one of the BA-5000's has a broken off speaker post cover in the back- but I can bypass having to connect a cable to that post when the amp is in bridged mode, as the connections are changed around when used in bridged mode- as opposed to regular stereo mode, or the other option: vertical biamping, whereby I could have one BA-5000 drive the left speaker and the other BA-5K, the right speaker. (The CA-3000 or CA-2000 preamps have two pairs of Output jacks to make the connection to two amplifier inputs very easy- the C-2301 preamp also has two pairs of outputs and an A+B selector switch to activate both simultaneously- the rca jacks on the C-2301 are all elegantly gold plated).

I dunno.... I s'pose I could use the two bridged BA-5000's on the Infinity Ren 90 woofers and the B-2301 on the tweeters/mids- but that might be excessive overkill (though maybe not for our beloved THOR :) )

Regards, B/F.

Back
Top Bottom