"I think bose is made by mcintosh. . "

Too funny, although obviously this seller is completely inexperienced with audio gear.

Her other auction is for a monstrously big Bose 1801 power amp - also by "McIntosh" :p: Wonder what that puppy weighs? It looks as hefty as the big SS Mac amps.

I never realized Bose ever sold amps. Doing a quick search for info - I read that the 1801 was apparently private labeled for Bose by BGW

Gee, never thought of it before buut you know it sort of looks like the front of the Stereotech line. Maybe the guy is onto something ;). Funny this preamp and the matching amp in their time were actually not too bad sounding and far better than the Crown IC150.DC300 and the Dyna PAT series preamp and the 400 amp. Unlike the Mc amps, the 1801 Bose amp used to self-destruct. When rebuilt with some decent parts they could be reliable.

Well... the Bose hardware had to be made by somebody, right? It certainly wasn't made at The Mountain (capped landfill site) in Framingham.

IIRC ... Bose got into the amp game because the 901 Series I and II were extremely ineffecitent and very hard to drive.

So, it created a lot of business for Dynaco 400s and Phase Linear 400s, and Bose realized that they can have a piece of that pie too.

I sent a e-bay-mail to the buffoon that "McIntosh has never, nor would probably ever, have ANYTHING to do with Bose". Gag, about like claiming that Ferrari manufactured Yugos! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by CELT
I sent a e-bay-mail to the buffoon that "McIntosh has never, nor would probably ever, have ANYTHING to do with Bose". Gag, about like claiming that Ferrari manufactured Yugos! :rolleyes:

LOL..you watch,,,,probably at some point, Fiat owns Ferrari, Fiat owns Yugo.....or something like that...:D

You mean to tell us that Ferrari had nothing to do w/the "Cutting Edge of Serbo-Croatian Technology"?!? Sheesh....there goes my faith in humanity.....-Sandy G.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't McIntosh owned by Clarion, the "Ferrari" of car audio? It probably saved them from going out of business, but dosen't add to the McIntosh name recognition.
Back to the auction- This is one of the problems with eBay- the ignorance and complete lack of credibility by so many users. It is so much nicer to deal with people who display an interest in audio as a hobby or line of work, and will hang around a site like this one because of their interest in learning and/or sharing their knowledge with others.;)

Originally posted by jmzzz01
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't McIntosh owned by Clarion, the "Ferrari" of car audio? It probably saved them from going out of business, but dosen't add to the McIntosh name recognition.

No, that was back in the '90s. It is now owned by D & M Holdings, which is a consortium that also owns Denon and Marantz. Firmly into hifi now. There is considerable leverage in consolidating several hifi brands under one administrative and distribution roof ... though it seems D & M runs McIntosh quite seperately from the rest of their operations.

I don't think Clarion saved McIntosh from going out of business either (correct me if I'm wrong - but its not as big as it used to be, but has always been healthy). Back in the late '80s, there was a group think around the concept of leveraging name hifi brands into car audio (which was a burgeoning market). Witness Linn, Mark Levinson and others who have taken that route, which is why Clarion went after McIntosh. McIntosh is still very reveered in Japan. Perhaps a marriage of convenience to both sides.

Last edited:
Maybe Ron-C could enlighten us. I remember the reasoning to be that the company did not have the capital to maintain the necessary R&D budget and after Gordon's death the family interests in retaining ownership were not as personally important. Most closely held company's do not survive the second generation of family ownership.

Bose amps

The first-out-of-the-chute amp from Bose did, indeed, have a nasty problem with the first stage voltage amp, a simple opamp, where occasionally it would decide to flip to the plus or minus voltage rail and stay there.

This would, in turn, bias on one whole set of output transistors, thus allowing *lots* of current to be forwarded on the the unsuspecting Bose 901 we had attached to the channel. There was more than once where we would hear a hum from one speaker on the demo floor, then smell that burning smell as you approached the speaker - all 9 drivers fried. It was interesting that our Bose rep at that time told us that fuses weren't needed - there weren't any in the amp's output section - that the 901s could 'take it'. That they did.

Bose quietly replaced any board that went bad and had the rep hand-deliver the old ones back to Framingham. It was about a year into the amp's life that things got straightened out with a board redesign. I doubt you'll see one of the old boards in one - and they didn't sell that many of them anyway.

Cheers,

David

I've also seen on eBay a Bose receiver that included the EQ circuit for the 901. Now, that was a pretty good idea.
I rebuilt 2 pairs of 901s here, nearly going blind gluing new surrounds on 36 drivers. The finished product impressed me in no way at all. They would probably make great rears and sides for a HT rig but I have no such system so I sold them all. It was fun fooling with them however, and I'm glad I had the chance.

Yeah I had a pair of 901s and 501s, both of them I bought used specifically to resell. The 901 is a strange beast, horrendous sound. Almost all mids even with that EQ throwing in massive amounts of bass and treble boost.

I read that the new 901 series VI comes with cloth surrounds, so after almost 40 years on one speaker they finaly figured out that resurrounding 18 drivers every decade or so wasn't a good idea.

Funny how other dipole speakers like planars and electrostatics sound so good, while bose are so bad heh. Obvioulsy they have fine tuned in on a sound that non audio types think is great due to its freq responce and dispersion pattern.

As far as the ebayer thinking Bose were Mac, thats funny but not surprising to me. When I used to work at a TV/stereo shop people would often say how they knew that all of the TVs were made by the same company anyway so it didn't matter what they picked. You have to just let it slide because they are far too clueless to attempt to educate at that point :)

Jackson

Back
Top Bottom