I think I found the ultimate indoor antenna

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...2-wave-omni-antenna-that-really-works.862303/
Found the antenna is much better when you straighten out the elements-and create a traditional vertical 1/2 wave antenna A 1/2 wave antenna with it's elements on a horizontal plane is not ideal for receiving FM radio signals in all directions- it's on the wrong plane-so to speak.
While it might not look as cool, you will be surprised by the difference in performance.
It's a simple mod to straighten out the elements, and flip the pole bracket.

Interesting. I may give that a try when I have time to tinker with it. For the moment, I am quite content with it as is.

How bad was it before straightening? Couldnt have been that bad.

I thought about trying one of those indoors. And while I get away with a lot concerning my setup, that just wouldn't fly. Unless maybe I hung some frilly tassely thing over it. But then I couldn't stand to look at it. :D

Sure.
The main problem is it is not uniformly omni directional being horizontal. 1/2 wave antennas by there nature are designed to be vertical.
I had issues getting quiet stereo performance with one of my fav stations, so I always had to tilt the antenna-meaning it's omni directional performance is uneven.
I figure it would be when I purchased it, just by its shape-but wasn't sure it would be a problem. Since it was-I simply made it into a traditional 1/2 wave shape-and solved the problem.
If you don't have issue with the stations you listen to-I would probably just leave it. If you have problem with a few stations, this may solve the issue.

Last edited:
I thought about trying one of those indoors. And while I get away with a lot concerning my setup, that just wouldn't fly. Unless maybe I hung some frilly tassely thing over it. But then I couldn't stand to look at it. :D
Yep I get it-better half here could care less. )Hell, I have a double bowtie on a small tripod next to the T.V.)
But it's easily installed outside or in a attic. Just use a good low loss coax.
Actually being vertical would make mounting options easier, and more plentiful -then a large horizontal circle. Pretty much a win/win when you think about it.
Depending on you setup-you could also mount it in back of your equipment rack it's light weight.
But like any antenna the higher the better, with minimal obstructions.

Last edited:
Yep I get it-better half here could care less. )Hell, I have a double bowtie on a small tripod next to the T.V.)
But it's easily installed outside or in a attic. Just use a good low loss coax.
Actually being vertical would make mounting options easier, and more plentiful -then a large horizontal circle. Pretty much a win/win when you think about it.
Depending on you setup-you could also mount it in back of your equipment rack it's light weight.
But like any antenna the higher the better, with minimal obstructions.
I really can't complain. A six foot long shelf unit with three levels full of gear. Bookshelf speakers laying on their sides on top of Warfedale W90's. One bedroom filled with more gear and test equipment. And I just keep building more. There is a pile of parts to build yet another tube amp i don't need sitting on my bench right now.

Attachments

• 20190314_145820.jpg
    20190314_145820.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 73
I really can't complain. A six foot long shelf unit with three levels full of gear. Bookshelf speakers laying on their sides on top of Warfedale W90's. One bedroom filled with more gear and test equipment. And I just keep building more. There is a pile of parts to build yet another tube amp i don't need sitting on my bench right now.
Nice!!

Gosh, that looks like a RV antennae! If that thing ever falls, it will take out half the room!

Magnum Dynalabs “whip” works excellent for me. I no longer play with antenna (despite a popular pastime for some). I have it simply mounted on the fence, I’ve seen them plenty time indoors as well.

I use a BIC Beambox at my workbench in the basement. Cheap and performs decent.

Here is an article from "Electronic World". I built one years ago and it was fantastic for FM. 4 pages of the article

Attachments

• FM1.jpg
    FM1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 73
  • FM2.jpg
    FM2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 69
  • FM3.jpg
    FM3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 69
  • FM4.jpg
    FM4.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 69
Gosh, that looks like a RV antennae! If that thing ever falls, it will take out half the room!

Not sure which antenna you are talking about, but the round stellar labs one we were talking about isn't big or heavy enough to take out anything.

I'm always swapping equipment and speakers in and out of my main system. And that can involve moving things around in the living room. Sometimes I can have cables and wiring srung all over the place while trying different combinations. And my wife puts up with it pretty well I think. But planting an omni antenna on a pole bolted to a shelf wouldn't go over too well.

Not sure which antenna you are talking about, but the round stellar labs one we were talking about isn't big or heavy enough to take out anything.
The one you posted about. It looks pretty large...450mm or nearly 18" round. Being metal and all, it also looks like (from that height) if it fell it would take out hardwood floors or small children.

Last edited:
The one you posted about. It looks pretty large...450mm or nearly 18" round. Being metal and all, it also looks like (from that height) if it fell it would take out hardwood floors or small children.
It is metal and it is about 18in, but it weights about as much as a feather. A hardwood floor would take out the antenna in the event of a fall to be perfectly candid.

Back
Top Bottom