I think I'll build a couple of Guitars

I decided to build a pair of acoustics based on the Martin 000 style. I built one previously using Bubinga, but sold it to the Nashville songwriter Dan Tyler, so I never got to enjoy it. He eventually gifted it to another songwriter named Larry Gottlieb. Time to build myself another one (or 2).

I have a lotta love for the Martin 000 (and OM) concept re: ragtime/fingerpickin' style playing. Good lick w/ the builds.

Not to take away from the fine work the OP is doing. I just want to throw in my 2 cents

I Spent 2 weeks in Sebastapol, Ca. to build a classical guitar at the Luthiers School International run by Harry Fleischman. The guitars we built were not from kits. We started with wood blanks that had to be cut and shaped to size. Most everything was done with hand tools with very few power tools used. When i decided I wanted to attend the school and build a guitar I had no idea how much work was involved to make one. In fact the 2 weeks we spent was not enough time to complete mine. The body was complete but not the shaping of the neck and no finish which I had to finish at home. The finish is a wood sealer first, followed by 15 coats of thinned clear laquer with fine sanding between coats. The finish took almost as long as it took to build the guitar to completion. I really enjoyed the project and would like to build another. It plays very well.
View attachment 726504
You did a good job. The number of hours involved is the frustrating part of building. If you get into it to make money you will quickly be disappointed.

Thanks for the update & sharing your great work.
One thing I love about this site the number of truly talented people here never fails to amaze me.
Thanks for sharing!
PQ

Fabricating the truss rod from 3/16" steel rod. The rod is heated with a torch and bent double at the approximate half way point.

The aluminum block has one hole drilled thru and one hole drilled half way. The rod is cut to allow about 1/2" to protrude thru the the drilled hole. It's threaded 3/16" 10-32. The bullet nut to fit is available from Stewart Mac as well as the whole thing if you don't want to spend thirty minutes doing it yourself. BTW I had a friend mill the aluminum blocks but have hacksawed them out by hand previously (3/8"x1/2"x3/4")

The bow in the rod with the nut slightly tightened.

Truss rod installed in the neck.

Not much has happened since the last report. I haven't sent in my order for supplies needed for the sound hole inlay, which has to be done before bracing the top. My current project is getting my previous residence ready to put on the market by March. Such is life for a diy guy.

Back
Top Bottom