I think I'm done using a record brush...

49/16

So for years ive been using a record cleaning brush, as its been recommended by every living breathing turntable enthusiast I've ever met. Different types and styles.

I thought the immense amounts of static and huge globs of dust attached on the stylus were just the way it goes.

After reading some thought by Rega and Linn on record brushes actually being harmful, I thought I'd try not dusting my records at all.

No more static build up, no more huge collections of dust on the stylus, no pops and clicks.

Doesn't sound any worse. If a record is particularly dirty it just gets a wet ride on the nitty gritty.

So glad to not have to sweep every record before playing them any more. ladies and gentlemen, I think we've been had...Dust is not the bogeyman the industry would have us believe, methinks.

Has anyone else had this epifany?

still use my ancient Goldring Exstatic brush. Much better than hearing and watching a stylus skating on fluff by the time it gets to the last track of an LP. Even pristine records left on a platter for 20 minutes will collect some dust... probably better to shift it before the needle finds it.

I stopped using a record brush when I bought my first LP12, which was in 1985. I did buy a Nitty Gritty a few years ago to clean used records, specifically because I feared that the shop or previous owners may have used a record brush on them, which Linn claimed could do more harm than good.

I use a Swiffer for dusting.......never had a brush that didn't do some of what you said, or it simply lines the dust up and then you're s'posed to rake it to the side. pulls dust very well, doesn't scratch the vinyl, leaves no static, and when it's dirty I get a new one out of the refill box. I do use the disk washer stylus brush on my stones, but lighter fluid is my "chemical".....a 'big" bottle of fluid for a couple of bucks, works great.

Yup, I'm no longer using the carbon brush either. RCM and clean MoFi sleeves usually means the records are clean and no further "treatment" is necessary for several playings. But in those instances where a dusting is needed, I use a swiffer duster. Whatever dust there is, gets removed and when the duster is saturated (you will know when), just throw it away like Marc said. Easy.

Last edited:
The only way a decent brush can harm your records is if it deposits more dust than it picks up. This is possible with a dirty brush, or poor technique.

So, it's a matter of degree, not an absolute. Rega's advice on ignoring small bits of paper dust can make sense in a situation where the alternative is to deposit grit from an unclean brush. If Linn's advice is to forgo brushing a dirty record because the brush might damage it, well that is just plain crazy, imo. Even a new-style Discwasher brush, if used right (i.e. brushed backwards against your shirt or pants to clean it and align the fibers before every record swipe) can remove most of the dirt from a dirty record's grooves. And using a just-flicked-clean carbon fiber brush in a metal frame, swiping with an increasing radius while the other hand is grounded (in order to dissipate static) sure beats playing through grit and animal dander.

People with RCMs, quality sleeves, and spotless houses can make do without a brush, otherwise it's a stretch.

One of these days I'll try a Swiffer...

:music:

Is the concept here to routinely clean records with a RCM, but not bother with a CF brush before each play?

Is the concept here to routinely clean records with a RCM, but not bother with a CF brush before each play?

Pretty much. If a record is dirty enough to need a brush it's dirty enough to RCM it.

What drove me nuts about a brush is the dust line they'd leave no matter which one you'd use or what you do. It's like using a broom without a dustpan.

Decca carbon user here. Ex disc washer user. I do believe disc washer with fluid over time was a bad practice as my records got noisier. Do not have that issue using carbon brush. I've never experienced gobs of things on my stylus so not sure how OP experienced that?

Pretty much. If a record is dirty enough to need a brush it's dirty enough to RCM it.

What drove me nuts about a brush is the dust line they'd leave no matter which one you'd use or what you do. It's like using a broom without a dustpan.
Have you tried working from inside of the record (the label edge) to the outer part (lead-in groove) while the brush is still on the record and the record is spinning?

Use a Goldring Exstatic I have had for years. Even use it straight after taking a record from the rcm to the platter. Give the record a blast with the Zerostat at the same time.

Discwasher isn't bad if you use it very gently. I use short strokes along the grooves. Just make sure the brush is still soft. I also like to use a make-up brush. Its soft enough to go against the grooves.

Back
Top Bottom