I think I'm done using a record brush...

OK, that's what I thought you were saying. :)

Have you any idea what causes the dust to stick so tenaciously?

No need for perfect grammar as the results pretty much speak for themselves. My theory on stickiness was the mineral oil in the Swiffer, as I voiced concern over earlier, but I cannot rule out other factors as I don't know what else is on the pads (only mineral oil is listed). If you wash your hands with soap and dry them bone dry, rub your thumb and forefinger together, then do the same after handling a swiffer, you definitely feel some lubricant so it might just be the oil. It could also be increased static charge, but that should go away somewhat with Zerostat treatment and should disappear after rinsing with water. This isn't the case. Either way, I'm not wiping my records with this product.

Last edited:
No worries, the results kind of speak for themselves. My theory on stickiness was the mineral oil in the Swiffer, as I voiced concern over earlier, but I cannot rule out other factors as I don't know what else is on the pads (only mineral oil is listed). If you wash your hands with soap and dry them bone dry, rub your thumb and forefinger together, then do the same after handling a swiffer, you definitely feel some lubricant so it might just be the oil. It could also be increased static charge, but that should go away somewhat with Zerostat treatment and should disappear after rinsing with water. This isn't the case. Either way, I'm not wiping my records with this product.
Sounds like silicone

Also what do you think the fibers are? Nylon? That would add static to a record.

Sounds like silicone

Also what do you think the fibers are? Nylon? That would add static to a record.

Static is a possibility I considered, but why wouldn't a water wash and air dry dissipate it completely? the fact that it persists only on the wiped half tells me it is chemical in nature. I never broke my electrostatic voltmeter out of storage so have no charge measurements. Thats not to say electrostatic interactions aren't involved as P&G stole the Swiffer concept from KAO, a Japanese manufacturer that specializes in surfactants, oil emulsions, and electrostatic coatings. I'm not sure what the microfibers are, but they wouldn't pick dust off a floor without some interaction.

Last edited:
Static is a possibility I considered, but why wouldn't a water wash and air dry dissipate it completely?
I meant other than the oil and silicon stays after washing

the fact that it persists only on the wiped half tells me it is chemical in nature.
Point taken here, static would be on the whole record

I'll have a great Errol Garner record on Ebay soon if you're interested. :banana:

No thanks, I don't even like silicon on my furniture.

Any of you Swiffer lovers do the dust test I recommended? I have:

I did a while back and I did not see a difference between the clean and swiffer dusted sides. Similar to the wet test that I did.

I first wet cleaned the record using a RCM. I then wiped one side of the record with the swiffer for about 15 secs. Then I dumped the remnants of my vacuum cleaner on 1/2 of the top of the record covering both the clean and swiffer sides. I didn't really see a difference.

Given your results, I may try again.

Here's the result of my 2d test. I wet cleaned/vacuumed the record in question using the RCM. Once dry, I then wiped the bottom half of the record with the swiffer for about 15 secs and harder than I usually do. Then I dumped the remnants of my vaccum cleaner on the record and tilted the record to get the dust all around (hard to get it even all around). The dust was mainly fine but also had clumps.

I don't see a real difference between the clean (top; actually left in the images) and swiffer (bottom; actually right in the images) sides. Maybe you do. All I see is that the anti-static nature of the swiffer. Maybe I should wait a day and then dump the dust to see if the anti-static nature subsides or remains (as I don't use an zerostat).

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Static is a possibility I considered, but why wouldn't a water wash and air dry dissipate it completely?

As I don't have a zerostat, I just put the record under the sink, dried it, and then sprinkled more vacuum dust on it and tilted to move it around like before. Hopefully the water got rid of any static. Seems like we're getting different results though.

Only things I see as different in our techniques is (1) my wet cleaning before the test, (2) you dipping the record into the dust while I dumpt the dust onto the record and tilted it around, and (3) your use of the zerostat. Also, how long and hard did you use the swiffer?

index.php

Last edited:
That's way different and quite curious edwyn. The records I tested started out clean like yours, cleaned by RCM weeks to months beforehand as stored in my collection. I wiped as if I was cleaning the grooves, not light like I was just removing surface dust, and it was a quick (maybe 5 second) single wipe but with some pressure. I covered half with paper during the wipe to be sure it wasn't exposed. After the dust exposure, I either tapped or blew of the record to see what stuck. Maybe that is the difference: did you blow off the unstuck dust? After the dust tank dip, both sides were coated with dust, but the dust only stuck to the treated side after blowing the loosely bound off. I did this on 3 different records on two different occasions. On a couple I did side A vs. side B and got the same result. I only tried the Zerostat on one trial, it is not something I use on my records, I just wanted a tool to investigate static potential.

Edit: I just noticed another difference- I used the Swiffer dry floor sweeper pad, not the brush pad you did. Could that be something? They certainly look different (no cuts or blue layer in the floor pad, just a microfiber sheet)

Last edited:
That's way different and quite curious edwyn. The records I tested started out clean like yours, cleaned by RCM weeks to months beforehand as stored in my collection. I wiped as if I was cleaning the grooves, not light like I was just removing surface dust, and it was a quick (maybe 5 second) single wipe but with some pressure. I covered half with paper during the wipe to be sure it wasn't exposed. After the dust exposure, I either tapped or blew of the record to see what stuck. Maybe that is the difference: did you blow off the unstuck dust? After the dust tank dip, the entire record was covered, but dust only stuck to the treated side. I did this on 3 different records on two different occasions. On a couple I did side A vs. side B and got the same result. I only tried the Zerostat on one trial, it is not something I use on my records, I just wanted a tool to investigate static potential.

The results are definitely strange. I'm gonna try to do some more tests this weekend if time allows.

After I dumped the dust on the record, I tilted the record around to get even coverage of the dust on the record. I then inverted and gently shook the record to get rid of any loose dust. But I did not try to blow the dust off or tap the record.

The record I tested was cleaned last fall and after listening to it at that time, it went into the bin for future sale or trade. It was sitting there all this time until I read your post and tested it today.

Back
Top Bottom