I think UPS succeeds in spite of itself.

robgmn

I ordered some parts from eBay.
As of yesterday morning, the tracking report showed they'd be delivered April 8th.
When they didn't arrive by 6PM, I checked tracking.
The update showed that they were still sitting at the origin UPS sort facility and would be delivered some time between today and the 22nd.

Way to go, UPS. You suck!

(I'd hold off on this rant if it was the first, or maybe even the 5th time they've screwed me. I stopped shipping stuff out with them, but can't prevent others from using them to ship to ME. Ugghh.)

Suckage is regionally dependent. In my area UPS is hands down the safest and most dependable carrier. That does not mean they are not without some truly brown moments.

Like the post office, the sheer volume of the millions upon millions of packages they handle on any given day is amazing. Unfortunately, there are going to be problems.

If you have ever been to a UPS Hub and have seen the velocity of packages being literally shoveled out of tractor trailer after tractor trailer and then sorted and shoved like a living Tetris model back onto tractor trailers and delivery trucks, you would think "I wonder how they even get half of the packages sorted correctly?"

I'm not defending them. I'm stating a fact. When you handle over 15 million packages a day, unfortunately there is no way you can avoid having some damage, loss and mishandling of parcels. It's the law of averages. And it absolutely stinks when the law of averages lands on your parcel or letter.

Still, that does not make anyone feel better, OP. I understand.

It could be much worse. Let me tell you about MY worst UPS experience. I had an overnight letter that absolutely positively had to be somewhere overnight. Instead of FedEx, I decided to go UPS overnight because it was more "convenient". Big mistake. It took the letter 4 days to get to the destination. UPS told me, "Our Hubs were designed for Parcels, not Letters. Sometimes a letter slips off the rollers or the conveyors at the Hubs and gets lost or mishandled. You can put in a claim and get your money back since the overnight was late in arriving.". Ouch. That mistake cost me a very valuable client. The damage was irreversible and very costly. Next overnight that is critical, I'm using FedEx. For sure. They handle far more overnight letters and are designed to do so.

I still use UPS, but not for overnight letters that absolutely have to be there or else.

It could be much worse. Let me tell you about MY worst UPS experience. I had an overnight letter that absolutely positively had to be somewhere overnight. Instead of FedEx, I decided to go UPS overnight because it was more "convenient". Big mistake. It took the letter 4 days to get to the destination. UPS told me, "Our Hubs were designed for Parcels, not Letters. Sometimes a letter slips off the rollers or the conveyors at the Hubs and gets lost or mishandled. You can put in a claim and get your money back since the overnight was late in arriving.". Ouch. That mistake cost me a very valuable client. The damage was irreversible and very costly. Next overnight that is critical, I'm using FedEx. For sure. They handle far more overnight letters and are designed to do so.

I still use UPS, but not for overnight letters that absolutely have to be there or else.

Yep, been there & done that.

Overnight Red (?-whatever was most expensive) on a package to a client. His new business was in a small indoor strip mall.
On the first failed delivery, the driver claimed no one was at the business (not true as it's retail and did not close during the day. In fact, the client never left the store as he was waiting for the package)
On the second attempt, the UPS driver refused to even attempt delivery as the big sign outside the mall didn't have the business name on it yet.

We negotiated a better deal with FedEx and UPS lost a lot of our business because of that day.

I have stopped using UPS all together. They screwed up a McIntosh Mac 1700 then refused to pay the unit off when I paid to insure it fully.

The receiver had original inner and outer box plus I had another put around it to protect the original.

They said the outer shell did not meet their specs, when I pointed out it had the original inner and outer boxes they got pissy dug in their heels and refused the refund.

I will do all I can to NEVER give them my business.

nice
o.png

Back
Top Bottom