I thought I have seen it all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solid silver wire

Tim, enough nonsense speculating on why people do what they do (as if they know). Let's try to speak from a point of knowledge (ourselves) while sharing our experiences and leave the guesswork to the psychics unless you wish to associate yourself with that company.

Toward that end: "Yesterday I replaced the speaker cables on my A7 from the crossover to the horn and to the LF driver with single strand solid silver cables that I braided myself. Know what? It made a world of difference in the sound." Thanks for sharing Tim, what caused you to try the solid silver wire? And where did you get it, what gauge, how was it shielded, terminated? I'm using 26awg solid silver wire with 20awg teflon, bare-wire terminated. Nice improvement over my "audiophile-grade" speaker cable with my 3-way, dynamic "fart boxes". I can't say I observed a dramatic improvement, instead it was discrete in nature. And how would I summerize my thoughts on the DIY "cables" replacing the expensive brand? Satisfaction.

MikE

The wire is stuff I actually got as a present from Rob. I believe it is 18 AWG, teflon insulated (but Rob can clarify). The only part I've done so far terminates in speaker connections and solder joints, as I've only done "internal" crossover-to-driver wiring. The old stuff was some pretty grungy looking copper wire of about the same gauge.

When I finished the connections, it's as if the speaker "came alive", as if there was hidden resistance in the old wire which prevented the full sound from coming through, which judging by the age and relative condition of the wire isn't that surprising IMO. I'm gonna run a resistance check on it for the heck of it to see if what my ears are hearing can show up on a multimeter.

I'm going to be braiding interconnects as time allows with the same stuff, having the ends terminate in some Dayton Audio gold plated RCA jack ends I picked up from Parts Express for like $6.00 a pair. Funny enough, this wire the way it's braided actually kinda resembles Kimber. I'll post pics when the projects are complete.

I'm going to close this thread at this time because there have been mixed PMs to me, some applauding my efforts, and some telling me that I'm quickly losing my credibility here(and I didn't know I had any!). Rather than further speculation, I'll wait until they come in and see what happens. What the hell, eh? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom