I want to audition your speakers...in Michigan

opusarlo

I stumbled upon a gem of a system at a local industrial auction this past week, and it is in the shop getting serviced. It will be about 12 weeks. In that time, I would like to audition some speakers in systems near me. I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. My system is a McIntosh 240 amp, m71 tuner, c22 preamp - all tube. I have auditioned giant Klipsch horns and like the presence, but felt there was not enough on the bottom. I like the Altec Lansing 604c driver a lot. The Klipsch KG 5.5s were completely wrong for me - no presence at all. I am super interested in auditioning some Altec 19s, or anything else that might be similar. The gear I auditioned the other speakers on was streamed music from iPad to a Stax 40 wpc solid state amp, Hoveland HP-100 pre-amp and then the drivers. Let me know if you are near enough to me and think I might like to hear your gear.

Opusarlo, as I had made this suggestion, let me be the first to congratulate you on doing this.

Had someone told me 15 years ago that my ears preferred silk domes and line arrays, I would have saved THOUSANDS.

Good luck!

Opusarlo, as I had made this suggestion, let me be the first to congratulate you on doing this.

Had someone told me 15 years ago that my ears preferred silk domes and line arrays, I would have saved THOUSANDS.

Good luck!
This was an excellent idea, too. thank you for the suggestion. I was in the stereo shop when I read it and that guy even told me it was a great idea. He said people typically like to show off their systems so I am hoping to get a lot of feedback from this.

Maybe the audio shop could give you a contact for a local audio club?

I've got Altec 19's, Khorns, Bozak Symphonies, Bozak Concert Grands, and stacked Dahlquit DQ-10's. So if you're ever down North Carolina way...

Look for a pair of Frazier Dixelanders.

I missed a pair of those a year ago. They were only 50 miles away, and the seller kept dropping the CL price every 2 or 3 days...down to $300.
But I was totally stupid and didn't know what they were...man, talk about the one that got away...

I posted this in your other thread, but I'll put it here too, just for posterity:

You're welcome to come to my place and listen to the exact opposite setup just to compare the differences. I found this type of comparison very helpful in narrowing down what I liked and didn't like when I first started in this hobby.

I have large, low efficiency speakers (Ohm F and vintage Infinity) powered by class D amps, streaming hi-res digital files. If you're looking for more low end, you'll find it here. :D

I listened to a big set of restored Altec's (I think they were 19s) at the Corner Record Shop on Grandville about a month ago.There is an audio store called Wayback Audio in the shop. Can't say enough good about the guys there and they have other speakers you could audition as well. The gear you auditioned other speakers on leads me to believe you have already been to Misfitz audio. If you want to hear big Paradigms driven by a freshly restored 2270 Marantz your welcome to my place on the Westside!

May I suggest that you post in the SMAC forum . SouthEastern Michigan Audio Club , we meet once a month at different members homes or business and you could talk to some very well rounded guys . Some of the best systems that we could only dream of .

We have the SMAC group here in southeast Michigan. From Grand Rapids, it would probably take 2 to 2.5 hours to reach any of the monthly meets. While the various hosts may not have exactly the speakers you are after, just having the ability to hear complete systems and what they are capable of is helpful.

May I suggest that you post in the SMAC forum . SouthEastern Michigan Audio Club , we meet once a month at different members homes or business and you could talk to some very well rounded guys . Some of the best systems that we could only dream of .
I resemble that remark! :D

Second the SMAC.

Also isn't the legendary Open Baffle Line Array (OBLA) project in MI? Might be northern MI. Dang I would like to hear those.

I know a guys in Williamsburg that has a nice selection of vintage gear . It's by invitation only might be able for you to get a visit . Pm me if interested . You could get a chance to see/ hear a JBL Paragons or take it home for around 25 k .

I listened to a big set of restored Altec's (I think they were 19s) at the Corner Record Shop on Grandville about a month ago.There is an audio store called Wayback Audio in the shop. Can't say enough good about the guys there and they have other speakers you could audition as well. The gear you auditioned other speakers on leads me to believe you have already been to Misfitz audio. If you want to hear big Paradigms driven by a freshly restored 2270 Marantz your welcome to my place on the Westside!
yessir on both accounts. I have been to Misfitz, and I would love to audition your paradigms. I will PM my email address to you.

Once again I suggest you check out these guys. I'm fairly certain that like most audiophiles any one of them would be delighted to demo their "rig".
http://djcarlst.provide.net/smwtms.htm
YOu know, I checked these guys out, and I plan on watching a live broadcast of their meeting in November. I am just a bit concerned they are in a different place than I. I just got into this hobby and barely know how to spell stereo - they publish their own journal. I am not sure I am in a position to offer much up to them.

Back
Top Bottom