I want to get into Classical music. Where do I start?

So many forms and artists. I found a Thrift Store, outside of Gadsden, Alabama that has 100's, if not 1000's of Classical albums. They are around 50 cents to a dollar a piece. However, if you buy 10, they would sell them for 10 cents each. Great way to try some classical stuff out.

You are most welcome to check the classical music playlist http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/todays-classical-playlist.51069/ . A group of friendly and knowledgeable people is always happy to meet new participants!

Yes, great thread, Guiller and the people there post the best classical and tons of knowledge there.

These guys really know classical and I have learned a lot there.

I’m just a dabbler compared to many out there and there’s so much to learn.

I expect that part of the reason the original poster has asked for guidance is because it's already apparent that there is so much to know about classical music. It can be intimidating if one compares oneself with those who seem to be experts on the subject or if one considers just how many books there are on the subject and how much music there is to hear and know something about. It is easy to wonder: Just where do I start?

I, who an not an expert by any means but who have enjoyed a variety of classical music for a few decades, think it can be useful to keep in mind a couple of things that help preclude the intimidation response, for example:

-- all instrumental music, which includes all classical instrumental music, communicates directly to the listener's soul NON-VERBALLY, and exactly how and what it does in that process is not contained in the books and commentaries written by so-called classical music experts. You have to personally experience it to know about that, and, while someone else's knowledge might enhance your experience, somebody else's impression can't substitute for or supersede your own.

-- also the classical music experts, even classical musicians in world-class orchestras, don't always take themselves too seriously. They even tell jokes about conductors, about particular instruments, even about great composers. There's a very silly riddle about the great Ludwig himself that I can't forget and which always brings a smile to me, despite my knowing how silly it is:

Why couldn't Beethoven find his teacher?
He was Haydn.

Okay, one does need to have learned that Haydn sounds the same as "hidin'" and of course like other riddles it is better spoken aloud, but it is funny...and just try to forget it. And just try to forget that Beethoven learned from Haydn.

tons of stuff out there...my starting point is anything by Sir Neville Marriner and the Academy of St. Martin in the Field.
This is a huge topic, but I've been really happy with any Marriner/ASMF stuff I've picked up on Phillips. If the OP sees one I'd say grab it.
One of my fav classical albums is a Beethoven ASMF chamber thing. I forget what it is to be honest. I just call it the Beethoven silver bowl album, lol.

The friends of the classical music thread do not behave as distant "experts", but rather help guiding newbies in a dynamic and personalized way. An example of this can be found in this thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/classical-music-suggestions-for-a-metal-head.738064/ . The OP of that thread has become one of the regular contributors after realizing that acceptance is the major rule in the classical music thread. I enthusiastically invite the OP (of this thread!) to follow the same path!

-- also the classical music experts, even classical musicians in world-class orchestras, don't always take themselves too seriously. They even tell jokes about conductors, about particular instruments, even about great composers. There's a very silly riddle about the great Ludwig himself that I can't forget and which always brings a smile to me, despite my knowing how silly it is:

Why couldn't Beethoven find his teacher?
He was Haydn.

Just stop right now or we're going to have to Bartok like this altogether.

I'll be Bach (Arnold) - I'll be Mozart (me).

two intros from me,

1. I can send you a set of CDs each with a composer's "best of", free. if you like them
send me back a stamp. PM me.

2, go to the library and borrow similar
a. start with Carmen - highlights/excerpts are OK
b. Beethoven - any symphony but 9th should be familiar. then #3 Eroica (for Napolean)
c. Mozart's last symphony, the 41st, and particularly the last movement,
d. Schubert's Great in c major (has had several numbers over the centuries) also last movement.
e. Carl Orff - Carmina Burana

good luck - this is a great journey.

Most of my classical listening comes from radio. I am blessed with two good quality NPR stations, that between the two have a classical show almost every day. I probably don't have more than 15 classical albums, the ones I do have I really enjoy. Keep a note pad handy and when you hear something you really like jot it down.

Sometimes I just ask Alexa to play Classical music in general or from a composer I like. She usually does quite well in her picks. With the Alexa app you can see what she is about to play. ( Do women call Alexa she :idea: ) Once I ordered a digital download of Tchaikovsky's symphonies for 99¢ and burned them to CD and I play those a couple times a year. My most recent purchase was this for $25 in the door, just about through it the first time.
DSC_0001 (1).JPG

With classical records you tend to find them in very good to even mint condition.

I'd like to add, with respect to the Readers Digest record sets that were recommended earlier in the thread, sometimes only the first record or two seems to have been played and the rest are pristine. Sometimes one side, perhaps a favorite, is dirty--maybe from being left on a record player without a dustcover for a long time, and the other records in the set are very clean. If you pick up a set like that you don't necessarily want to judge the condition of the whole set by the first side you play!

I've heard some beautiful Classical music recently (for example and from another thread: Duetto in D Major: I. Allegro" by Rolf Döhler). I've also been a fan of Debussy.

So, I'd like to start exploring Classical, just not sure where to start. I don't own any, but I'm open to picking up some vinyl or CDs. I guess my preference is vinyl.

Any suggestions?

This is how I began my Classical journey....

First I figured out what classical instruments turned me on - My wife is a piano player, she loves George Winston, and I knew of maybe 10-20 compositions that I already liked... I also had a jazz and big band love already to pull from...

In my region, thrift stores have an over abundance of classical record albums. We have a habitat Restore that sells their albums for .25 or 5 for a dollar. Also, ARC will once every 2 months clean off their shelves of the record fodder (they ask $2 each, and a lot does not sell) and but them in big card board boxes for $5 each. Most of those are classical. In five years, I doubt that I have spent $100 on some really great albums , Solti Beethoven, Fielder Gershwin, Rubenstein Chopin, Van Cliburn Rachmaninoff, Reiner Strauss... Classical treasures are so easy to find !

Start with the selections from all the Fantasia movies.... Tchaikovsky ! Everybody loves Tchaikovsky !

I bought 80 pounds of Time Life "great men of music" that was like 100 total albums, perfect condition, for $10 off of craigslist.

Search and buy, and then figure out what you like, sell or donate what you don't. It's easy and fun!

Another thing...if you have a local symphony orchestra, either community or college based, find out what their concert schedule is. If you aren't in a major city the concerts are probably not expensive. Even in cities, concerts by smaller ensembles may be inexpensive. There really is nothing like hearing a live performance. And nowadays, many conductors and ensemble leaders are very sensitive to explaining background related to the pieces or composers that will be helpful to first-time listeners. If there is a post-concert reception, it might offer you a chance to talk with others in your locality who are interested in classical music.

Mozart:
Piano Concertos: No. 9 (K. 271); No. 21 (K. 467); No. 27 (K. 595)
Symphonia Concertante for Violin, Viola & Orchestra (K. 364),
Concerto for Flute, Harp & Orchestra (K. 299)
Clarinet Concerto (K. 622)
Don Giovanni (Opera)

Haydn:
Cello Concerto No. 2
Symphonies No. 93, 94 & 101

Beethoven:
Piano Concerto No. 5 "Emperor" (IMO one of greatest piano concertos ever composed)
Symphonies No. 1, 3, 5,
Violin Concerto

Handel:
Watermusic
Music for the Royal Fireworks

Bach:
Brandenburg Concertos 2, 3 & 6.
Violinkonzert BWV 1042
Triple Concerto BWV 1044

Strauss:
Blue Danube Waltz
Kaiserwaltz
Tales from the Vienna Woods

That's enough for now! :D

Welcome to the world of Classical! May you find your journey enjoyable and rewarding.

Listen to Peter van de Graaf and his Beethoven Satellite Network which runs nights (9pm-ish) on most public radio stations. Listen for a good week or two and find out what you like.

IMHO the best way to introduce yourself to the genre is via single instrument or quartet recordings (but that might just be my bias) and explore composers and artists that you like from there. Here are a few I think would be universally well regarded:

Bach: Sonatas & Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin - Nathan Milstein
Bach: Suites for Solo Cello - Jonas Starker

Finding good pressings for either of these on vinyl will set you back some dosh however.

Chopin's 24 Preludes - Arthur Rubinstein (usual plenty of inexpensive vinyl around even at Thrifts)

Bach: The Golberg Variations - Glenn Gould (hell, pretty well anything you can find on vinyl by Gould)

Beethoven String Quartets - Amadeus Quartet

Plenty more could be listed...

I find it interesting to listen to recordings of pieces with the instrumentation intended by the composer - played on period instruments. Sometimes we forget that these genius writers (or their employers) didn't always have gigantic symphonies available and (depending on the period) the instruments were not necessarily as advanced as some of today's refined tools. Reference Recordings has a beautiful recording of Copland's Appalachian Spring using the original score (smaller ensemble) recorded using a wonderful Bosendorfer piano that is really interesting to listen to. Telarc also has a recording of Bach Brandenburg Concerto's performed by the Boston Baroque Orchestra (playing period instruments) that gives interesting view into these very popular works. There are many other examples of such recordings and they are fun to seek out and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom