I want to get my first Pioneer. Should I get SX-1250, or SX-1280?

I miss my SX780 that I bought new many years ago - just a thing of beauty. Sounds like you want a monster though - I'd say 780 on up.

Well, I stumbled upon my first Pioneer today. Instead of the SX-1250 or SX-1280, my first Pioneer is a measly 50 watt SX-750 (actually an SX-5560) which I got for a relatively reasonable price because it has a few issues. It has a very low constant humming sound (regardless of input or volume) and needs a few bulbs replaced.

The low constant hum does not increase with volume so when I turn up music I can't really hear the hum because the music drowns it out. Any ideas what it might be?

The SX-5560 has a very nice crisp detailed sound, good bass and has plenty of power even at only 50 watts :eek: I can tell I'm going to like the sound of Pioneer receivers.

I wonder how much better the higher models will sound?

Here is a picture of it.

vS-yNaSYp60xfFjQ3avuwQGgqPJIyDcBR732tNZDd_vQkmJUuNHDQ_PnvzYP2Xcf9z5cZcLXuOod157oZ7iQafR6MbaSP_4IG39vqvjq2u_1x7JU6Ft-Xb6-qHRYQriU_iw7TtN6-Qg=w2400

Now I want an SX-1250 or SX-1280 even more... :)

I am partial to the 1250. My Uncle has one that I rebuilt a few years ago and I did not want to give it back.

I can tell I'm going to like the sound of Pioneer receivers.

I wonder how much better the higher models will sound?
The difference is night and day!

I have a Sansui AU-919 and a Pioneer SX-850, both recapped a few years ago. The Sansui is (was) in the office. The Pioneer was in the garage.

A few months ago I bought a little used, never worked on, SX-1010. Brought it home, swapped out the SX-850 and was pleasantly surprised at the improvement in sound (with my lowly, but sweet, Norman 8's). A few days ago my Sansui crapped out on me. (Pretty sure I know what's wrong and it will be an easy fix.) Anyhow, I brought the 1010 in to temporarily (or so I thought at the time) replace the Sansui and I'm hearing details in the music I hadn't noticed before. I'm listening to cuts that I used to skip over, just to hear the detail. (Speakers are Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2's.)

When I fix the Sansui, I'll bring it back in and do a side by side comparison. At this point, I'm thinking the Pioneer will stay. :dunno: I really hadn't planned on doing anything (recap, etc.) with this but after hearing it on better speakers, I'm thinking it would be well worth the time and effort. Maybe after I retire, quit, or get fired. :rolleyes:

Just for grins, I think the guy I bought it from was married to this woman. :rflmao:

Last edited:
That 5560 looks great. Some of the best looking receivers were the Black/Silver® Pioneer units. Maybe you need to get the SX-5590, yum! I have a 5580, the lowly 120 wpc Black/Silver® version of the SX-1050.

It has a very low constant humming sound (regardless of input or volume) and needs a few bulbs replaced. The low constant hum does not increase with volume so when I turn up music I can't really hear the hum because the music drowns it out. Any ideas what it might be?

All equipment of this vintage needs some restoration if it has not been touched before. Usually the electrolytic capacitors have dried out and need to be replaced. That sounds like what is happening with your unit. You'll find lots of threads on how to do this, just search on the SX-750 model number.

I've owned and restored an SX-1250 and it is a fine piece. So is the SX 1280.

I think what's more important than the specific model is the condition of the unit you are purchasing.
Take your time and look for a specimen that is in excellent physical condition. All the internals can be fixed, but a ding on the edge of the front panel is really hard (impossible?) to repair correctly. Also a plus, if you can find a unit that hasn't had its internals messed with, you're better off than having one an inexperienced hobbyist has messed with.

Then restore it, lovingly and with great care. Or better yet take it to a leading restorer.

All equipment of this vintage needs some restoration if it has not been touched before. Usually the electrolytic capacitors have dried out and need to be replaced. That sounds like what is happening with your unit. You'll find lots of threads on how to do this, just search on the SX-750 model number.

Thanks, I had already done some research and it looks like C17 and C18 are the electrolytic capacitors that cause this common problem. The recommended replacements are 63 volt 647-UPW1J331MHD.

How hard is it to remove the power board to get to the underside to replace these, there are a lot of attached wires at the top?

Here is a picture:

2xJ41ObgSV3w_BRHl3cjEUGE2Af6ZlVhk3vgcNN5xr1zVjWc_MLpC-aGGTSBLAYWx_S17w4Qp5L4-0GdM-lIlWiKZSzZq2q6J47BjS8oOFUB68GK9hEpqTokQ14_MGLNX26_UN9Ohcs=w2400

Last edited:
Hi DD,
Thee are 100’s of people on the forum more qualified to answer your question than I am. For this and the 1000 questions to follow I would research the 750 refurb threads already out there and then start a new thread if you need to.
Good luck!
Tom

Back
Top Bottom