I want to get some speakers for my Sansui AU-555A amp.

dpg3

Sansui AU-555A
25wpc

What I'm looking at:

Mirage 250 bookshelf: $60
Impedance: 8 Ohms Sensitivity: 90 dB Power Range: 10 - 80 Watts
Width: 11.5 inches Depth: 7.5 inches Height: 16 inches
Woofer: 8 inches Tweeter: 1 inch Soft Dome Tweeter
Weight: 14.5 pounds
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/bedford/speakers/1310925821

JBL 2500 bookshelf: $95
2 way titanium tweeters
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-speakers/city-of-halifax/jbl-bookshelf-speakers/1170539891

JBL LX22 Bookshelf: $100
16.5H x 10W x 8D
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-speakers/ci...akers-still-available-if-add-is-up/1313678293

AV5 Powerful & Dynamic Two-way Bookshelf Speakers: $90

Speaker Configuration 2 Way – 2 Driver Bookshelf Loudspeaker
Tweeter 1 inch Soft Dome Ferrofluid Cooled
Woofer 5 inch Poly-coated Driver with Butyl Rubber
Power Handling 10-100 watts
Frequency Response 70-20KHz
Sensitivity 87dB @ 2.83V / 1m
Impedance 8 Ohms
Enclosure Tuned Front Port Bass Reflex Bookshelf Design
Dimensions 11 x 7.5 x 8.5 inches
Speaker Weight 9.0 pounds/speaker
http://www.fluance.com/catalog/product/view/id/360#content-Specifications

Last edited:
Most people around these parts buy the speakers first based on their sound. They then acquire adequate amplification.

I could offer my opinion, but my room is probably different than your room.
I don't have the same amp.
My choice in music may be different.
I might play my music loud and you may prefer more moderate levels.
My hearing falls off around 10K or less.
My preferred music is disco.
I'm 60+ years old.
I haven't actually listened to any of those speakers.
Have you?

Are you sure you still want my opinion?

Most people around these parts buy the speakers first based on their sound. They then acquire adequate amplification.

I should've explained myself better but I did this very late at night. The Sansui AU-555A is for a bedroom system/secondary system. My primary system has a Sansui AU-7900 80wpc, Advent 5002 and Dynaco 250 speakers, with Luxman preamp and CD player. I also have a Luxman R-115 70wpc receiver and Sansui AU-4900 38wpc, so I have "adequate amplification".
The AU-555A is just an amp I picked up at an estate sale for cheap and wanted to get some speakers to try it out.

I could offer my opinion, but my room is probably different than your room.
I don't have the same amp.
My choice in music may be different.
I might play my music loud and you may prefer more moderate levels.
My hearing falls off around 10K or less.
My preferred music is disco.
I'm 60+ years old.
I haven't actually listened to any of those speakers.
Have you?

Are you sure you still want my opinion?

I should've explained myself better but I did this very late at night. The Sansui AU-555A is for a bedroom system/secondary system. My primary system has a Sansui AU-7900 80wpc, Advent 5002 and Dynaco 250 speakers, with Luxman preamp and CD player. I also have a Luxman R-115 70wpc receiver and Sansui AU-4900 38wpc, so I have "adequate amplification".
The AU-555A is just an amp I picked up at an estate sale for cheap and wanted to get some speakers to try it out.

The Sansui AU 555A is a very well know amp, so I figured the members here might have opinions on which of these speakers would be a good match, in general terms.

That's supposed to be a very nice sounding amp. Congrats on your purchase.

I can't help you with those specific speakers. I have a low powered Harman Kardon 330B receiver. It sounds good with both Dynaco A-25's and Paradigm 5SE Mk2's, though neither pair will play "party level" loud.

That's supposed to be a very nice sounding amp. Congrats on your purchase.

I can't help you with those specific speakers. I have a low powered Harman Kardon 330B receiver. It sounds good with both Dynaco A-25's and Paradigm 5SE Mk2's, though neither pair will play "party level" loud.
Thanks, those sound like good choices, I like both speakers. Had some Dynaco A-25's but sold them a few years ago. What do you think of the Mirage 250's, suppose to have a good rep?

Given the relatively modest power of the amp, you might want to concentrate on more sensitive speakers. Anything less that 90 db might be candidates to screen out. Unless you listen to them and like them. Maybe you don't plan to crank this system anyway, but it's something you could look at. Any that you don't have that spec for, you can probably find on the web - the JBLs for example. It's tough to get a speaker that's small, and sensitive, AND has extended bass - you can pretty much have any two of those but not all three at once.

Beyond that, I second the recommendation to listen before buying.

Given the relatively modest power of the amp, you might want to concentrate on more sensitive speakers. Anything less that 90 db might be candidates to screen out. Unless you listen to them and like them. Maybe you don't plan to crank this system anyway, but it's something you could look at. Any that you don't have that spec for, you can probably find on the web - the JBLs for example. It's tough to get a speaker that's small, and sensitive, AND has extended bass - you can pretty much have any two of those but not all three at once.

Beyond that, I second the recommendation to listen before buying.

I am aiming to get speakers with as high a sensitivity as I can, as you suggest 90 db or above that's one reason I like the Mirage 250 and they are only $60. Since this will be in my bedroom, I am not planning to run it very hard. I am concerned about the bass and for that reason I wouldn't mind smaller floor standing speakers, that I am planning to put on stands anyway.
There is a local fellow, who has a lot of gear who is also sourcing some speakers for me and I will definitely have a chance to listen before I buy anything from him.

I bought the Mirage 250 speakers, great price and exactly what I was looking for. Picked up a Nikko CD player from a nice fellow who had a lot of amazing restored gear, we talked vintage audio for over an hour. Another contact for future reference. His prices were great too.
Now just have to get the time to put everything together.

Back
Top Bottom