1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

I was looking for my holy grail, and it was right in there in front of me...Amp selection

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by peguinpower, Dec 8, 2018.

1. peguinpower

peguinpower New Member

Ive spent the last year trying to find THE amp for my mid-budget 2 channel rig. I started with a NAD power amp. That was good. Then I chanced upon a 1982 New York Audio Labs Moscode 300. It was a revelation. It revealed so much more for me and got me excited again about my music again.

The Moscode is a 150wpc tube mosfet hybrid with 6DJ8 and 6FQ7 tubes as its input stage. The power side are Hitachi mosfets that are pretty acclaimed themselves.

Seeking to further my reinvigorated interest in stereo aduio, I picked up an ODL HT2 amplifier. The ODL is the evil twin brother of the Odyssey Stratos, both clones of the Symphonic Line RG-11 Mk4. The ODL's 150wpc is powered Sanken Epitaxial Planar Transistors .That was a bit of a disappointment. It was detailed, bass was very deep, but it was too analytical for my taste. It was not exciting to me. It great listening to Spotify.

Yesterday, I took delivery of a Primaluna Prologue 4 with all PS Vane tubes, EL34s for power. I'm running it today, and it sounds great. Even better when I popped Telefunken 12AX7s in the front of the input stage. I like it, the sound stage is an improvement, there are little things here and there that it's revealing that none of my other amps provided. My only gripe is that 35wpc, as satiating as it is, doesnt comes close to the headroom the Moscode provides.

The predicament now is that the much larger of the headroom the Moscode is making me like it better than the Primaluna. Kick drums, bass guitars are a lot more emotional. It has a "reach out and touch you" character. Occasionally, elements of a track will jump out and go full 3D on you. The Primaluna has the lead in the mids. Vocals, harmonicas and violins sounds really sweet. It also has a tad of an advantage in resolving. Between the two though, the Moscode gets me tapping my toes much more.

I am currently thinking of investing in the Moscode for a restoration with new caps and stuff. Sort of blueprint it back to specs. It pretty old having been manufactured in 1982. I like it that much. It was last recapped in 1992 when it was modified by Musical Concepts with Cardas binding posts, Tiffany RCAs and WIMA/Nichicon caps. Ive been quoted $600 for the work using Mundorf caps. I'm not sure if its necessary just yet though.I don't hear anything wrong with it except that it gets a little confused and distorted at very high SPLs.

I'll be selling the ODL. I think its more suited for digital sources. I like my system to sound best with vinyl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amp / Dating Analogies

ODL - like dating the good looking girl from the accounting department that no other guy in the office has taken out
    Primaluna - a blind date from an app who you see for the first as you walk into the bar and realize, she's a 9 :)
    Moscode - like the hot crazy girl you met on vacation that parties hard and scares you a bit but still made you think of quitting your job and moving to her country.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    sqlsavior, Nightwisher and Vaughn like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Vaughn

Vaughn Super Member

I owned a 600 for a while, quite a beast!

peguinpower likes this.
  3. Mr.Jim

Mr.Jim President of nothing Subscriber

I have a 300 also that I bought off AK last year. Search the web, I think the original guy still does the upgrades.

4. bobins08

bobins08 Loving the dream Subscriber

I like the hybrid. Tube goodness up front and reliable, clean, mosfets in back. Let John fix it up and see. It might be that beautiful girl next door that really makes you happy.

5. Bodyblue

Bodyblue AK Subscriber Subscriber

How can drums sound "emotional "?

6. Markoneswift

Markoneswift Quartz locked n ready to rock

If you play drums they can :)

7. peguinpower

peguinpower New Member

great question. when listening to a song, if you can hear a drummer change his intensity, or a snare thats gettting hit on tempo suddenly just jumps at you. If the system resolves that and you find yourself getting amazed, I find that emotional.

8. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to AK!

:music:

9. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

10. opnly bafld

opnly bafld AK Subscriber Subscriber

I hear this more with low power 2-20 watt set or triode pp tube amps than with high power ss amps, with speakers most on AK would say are underpowered with the tube amps.

What speakers?
    Amp shootouts are meaningless to me without knowing what speakers were used.

Bodyblue likes this.
  11. Bodyblue

Bodyblue AK Subscriber Subscriber

Exactly.

12. peguinpower

peguinpower New Member

OMEN DEF [MK.II] QUICK SPEC'S

Weight: 85 pounds [39kg] each (standard, without optional plinth, without optional Zu/Radian-850 tweeter)
    Bandwidth: 30 – 25kHz
    Efficiency: 101 dB SPL 1W, 1m
    Impedance: 8 ohm
    Power Amp Range: 2 – 400 watt

Mine has the Radian tweeter and Clarity capacitor upgrade.

The wife and I just did another test on the trio again and we both agree that my disheveled amplifier from 1982 is just that more appealing to both of us. The others aren't bad, the Primaluna resolves better, the ODL does bass deeper, the Moscode has a bit of harshness with vocals, but it does the best all around job per our tastes.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 11:07 AM