I will have a set Wharfedale W45’s next week.

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Really looking forward to getting these W45’s, I already have a pair of W35’s. The W45, a far as I can find out, and there is so little info on this series is one of 3 American Assembled Achromatic Wharfedales the W25, W35, W45. They were sold in the early 1970’s. These W45’s were purchased new in 1970 by the person I bought them from. I purchased my W35’s new in 1972. I also purchased a pair of now gone W25’s at the same time. I am now actively looking for a pair of W25’s so I can have the set. The cabinetry is extremely solid on these Wharfedales and made the cases on the AR speakers I had at the time crude by comparison. The W25’s completely outclassed the AR-7’s I had.

W25, BIC 8983 cone tweeter (2.6”), BIC 8950 (8”) woofer
134D2D78-418F-4A53-AD5B-C85DBBF81611.jpeg

W35, BIC 8983 cone tweeter (2.6”), BIC 413 mid-range (2.8”), BIC 8950 8” woofer
B2826447-A25C-4C5A-8CC5-189B541106BF.jpeg

W45, BIC 8983 cone tweeter (2.6”), BIC-413 mid-range (2.8”)
The W45 has a 10” woofer I will post its model number when I can.
3045DAF9-C1C1-4F79-8E41-96948AD102F7.jpeg

One thing I failed to mention the W35 cabinet was designed for use with the Quadraphonic systems that were just coming out in 1970. I had such a system. The speakers fit in the corners of rooms. I opted for the Columbia’s SQ System. It was really interesting, not so much for the 4 channel sound but the fantastic quality of the SQ recordings. I still have a small collection of these SQ LP’s which have not been played in more than 30 years. I understand there is software that can take the analog signal from these Quad LP’s and recreate it. I have never explored it. Many of these Quad recordings are available on CD and the simulated multichannel sound a modern AVR can do is much better then what could be realized from vinyl records at the time. The best 2 of all of these SQ LP’s are an 1812 Overture, London Symphony Orchestra, André Previn conducting, and Black Magic Woman, Santana.

The quandary I have now is the crossovers on these W45's to recap or not. When I recapped the crossovers on the W35's I obtained a second set of crossovers and recapped them. They had the original set of Hong Kong manufactured Minerva non-polarized electrolytics. I changed them out with Mundorf E-Cap NPE's. Very pleased with the sound the W35 has with them. Here is the thing when I tested the Minerva cap's there was nothing wrong with these almost 50 year old caps. Only one was at the edge of the 20% tolerances these cap's have, the ESR was fine. Right now I cannot test them for leakage that instrument needs repair but I am not sure this is going to tell me anything the ESR test does not. The only schematic I was able to find for the W45's shows it only has 2 NPE's, a 4 and a 6 mFd, I will confirm this when I look at the coming W45's. A set of Mundorf E-Cap's will cost less the $15 dollars even with postage. My only concern is the "original sound" thing. I know for a fact the Mundorf's are better cap's then the Minerva's and this isn't just the 50 years in advances in manufacturing technology. But there is that original sound thing. The W35's were blasted by a failing amp so they needed a total rebuild but what I can remember of that original sound with the Mundorf's they have it and then some. If this was one of my vintage radios it would be a no brainier but I am dealing with an electro-mechanical musical instrument. Yes I know listen to them and than decide but there is that itch to update the crossovers anoint it with Cardas solder, and those wonderful Mundorf NPE's. What a wonderful dilemma. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom