I will never be the same...

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by nu2dis, Oct 11, 2017.

1. nu2dis

nu2dis AK Subscriber Subscriber

Long time music fan here, but very new to the world of hi-fi and I'm learning fast with this board. I managed to put together a very basic system consisting of a Marantz 2270, a Pioneer PL-510a, and a pair of Bose 901 IV, as well as a tested a pair of Klipsch Heresy III's for a bit.

Over the weekend I learned that a local Best Buy/Magnolia is a McIntosh Authorized reseller and I went to check out what they have. On one setup was the legendary MC275 VI paired with the C2500 preamp, driving a pair of Martin Logan ESL 11A's. They let me listen to a Sonos stream and a Michael Jackson and Beatles (Abby Rd) LP on a Marantz TT15 table... I found the most pleasant, warm and clear sound that I've been searching for... :bowdown: OMG, that is what hi-fi is all about - everything else pales in comparison (to my untrained, non-audiophile ears).

Anyone want to loan me $20k?! :banana:

stish, John James and joeinid like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Welcome. The good news is that you don't have to spend $20k to get similar sound in your own space. From day 1, McIntosh gear has been designed to faithfully reproduce music as the artist intended for it to be heard.

There is a reason so many of us own decades old McIntosh ...

darkblue94 likes this.
  3. Velocityboat

Velocityboat Super Member

No truer thing could be said. You can get some decent sound out of what you have. But there are still some McIntosh bargains available as long as your patient. Speakers, amp, preamp in order will give best returns for money. The vintage McIntosh speakers are best bargain dollar for performance. The sound is timeless. BTW Sonos is selling what that system can do short. For a tenth of that price you can get 97 percent with vintage Mc gear.

isotopesope likes this.
  4. joeinid

joeinid AK Subscriber Subscriber

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  5. feinstei

feinstei AK Member Subscriber

The Marantz TT-15S turntable is a very nice unit and made by the same company that makes the two McIntosh turntable. I found that as I kept upgrading that the biggest improvement was replacing the solid state amplifier with vacuum tubes (I bought a used MC-275 Mk VI that I use in stereo mode for about $4000 to replace the front two channels of the solid state McIntosh MC-7106 which I used bridged).

joeinid likes this.
  6. nu2dis

Thanks guys... I'm really geeking out over this right now and plan on putting together a McIntosh system.

Speaking of, I was told by the BestBuy guy that a brand new MC275 VI is about $5,500... My eBay trolling shows that most MC275 of older generations are listed for much more than that. As of right now, eBay has about 16 listed and only 3 are below $5,500 some wanting up to $9k. Is there a reason for the price increase? I guess it's better to buy new than old(er) ones?

7. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

Since you're in NY I would plan a trip to Audio Classics. Many of us have bought from, or have had them service our McIntosh gear (their "used" B1 listings are like new and will save you a bundle), and although I haven't been there in person, I hear it's well worth the visit from the guys that have.

http://www.audioclassics.com/

8. feinstei

I wouldn't pay more than $4500 for one. As I said, mine was about $4,000 (maybe it was $4200 or something?). Here's a listing for one...

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649160923-mcintosh-mc275-mk-6-like-new-in-box-only-6-months-old/

nu2dis likes this.
  9. nu2dis

It's about 150 miles from me and I will definitely plan on taking this trip. Just need to make sure I have spending money with me so the trip can be worth it. Base on my reading here and other forums, as well as listening to solid state and tubes... I'm convinced tube is what I would prefer. I see that McIntosh also made the MC2102 and it's in the same price range as a MC275 but with slightly more power and comes with the hypnotic blue meters - if it was your money, which one would you go for and why? Thanks for feeding my addiction... :)

10. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

As many on this forum will attest to - only you and your ears can make the final decision. I have a McIntosh tube preamp and a solid state amp. Next time around it will be all solid state. I'm sure others will chime in but for my $, ease of maintenance and excellent sound, McIntosh solid state is my choice. That said, tubes at night sure look pretty but the end result is what gives you the sound you're looking for. Perhaps a good option to start with is a MC250 solid state amp that is very close in sound to the tube amps that preceded it. There's also a version with meters as well. You have lots of options so keep an open mind. And know that modern tube gear sounds like modern gear. Just because it has tubes doesn't necessarily mean it will be warm and gooey like the tube gear of yesteryear.

botrytis, stish, kevzep and 1 other person like this.
  11. thevinoman

thevinoman Nothin' but the Blues... Subscriber

Highly recommend Klipsch Heritage speakers with Mcintosh tube gear.....La Scala, Belle, Khorn, Forte II, Chorus II.

Searing75 likes this.

12. nu2dis

Great insight... thanks... definitely worth considering. I’m falling really deep into this rabbit hole.

:eek2:

joeinid likes this.
  13. Searing75

Searing75 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Don't forget the best of the bunch! The Cornwall!

14. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

Love seeing someone else contracting the Blue Meter Disease...Of course, I am a bit of a McIntosh fanboy. Just look at my siggy! :D

I'd suggest you not get too focused on just one model of McGear. There are so many to choose from and if you get used gear in good condition that same warm, inviting detailed sound can be yours for a lot less than retail or eBay gouging prices.

Since you are so close to Audio Classics I'd strongly suggest you go up there, even if just for a listening session. Your options will expand, you'll find great gear and you'll come away with a better understanding of how a McIntosh based component system should be put together.

15. GAryB

GAryB AK Subscriber Subscriber

Definitely worth the trip, especially since you're relatively close. You should also arrange to visit the McIntosh factory, which is a short drive from Audio Classics. If you plan ahead you can probably get a tour. I did that a decade ago and still have very fond memories of it.
    ---Gary

16. feinstei

One just appeared on usaaudiomart.com for $4250...

17. Jamesja

Jamesja New Member

I have cornwall 2's and chorus 2's. While the cornwalls might go a little deeper in the base, they don't seem to reach as high as the chorus's, although neither pair seem to reach 20khz. both seem to have an unpleasant boominess around 50 hz. not sure which set i'll eventually keep/sell. i would like to find out how difficult it would be to swap the mid and tweeter horns from the chorus into the cornwall.