I work on Sansui

Just the person i would like info from.....hi,i have an AU717 that has a loudness switch issue.When i switch the loudness my left side is very loud and my right stays the same...tried spraying,nothing,...this has happened a couple times and then all of a sudden it would work again sometimes takes weeks....any suggestions?
thanks.
I have found with that sort of intermittent switch operation, its best to actually take the switch apart and physically clean the black gunk and tarnish off the contacts.
You can't always bring the switch back to full operation by just attacking it from the outside.
Not for the shaky hands and faint hearted !!

Do you whistle? If you enjoy your work then it is not really a labor - - -
No whistling here, I am an anti-whistler, for some reason it really irritates me, but I am usually listening to music through one of the units I have been working on.
I find you really need to have them running on the bench for a few days whilst things settle in....

I have found with that sort of intermittent switch operation, its best to actually take the switch apart and physically clean the black gunk and tarnish off the contacts.
You can't always bring the switch back to full operation by just attacking it from the outside.
Not for the shaky hands and faint hearted !!

No whistling here, I am an anti-whistler, for some reason it really irritates me, but I am usually listening to music through one of the units I have been working on.
I find you really need to have them running on the bench for a few days whilst things settle in....
ok,i tried something that might have worked(for now)..........i turned the power on the Sansui,turned the loudness switch on with volume all the way down for a few hours..........and i"ll be darned,it worked...can you tell me why this happened?

ok,i tried something that might have worked(for now)..........i turned the power on the Sansui,turned the loudness switch on with volume all the way down for a few hours..........and i"ll be darned,it worked...can you tell me why this happened?
If I was there with the unit, yes probably, but I suspect you just got lucky...
The switch needs dismantling and cleaning.

If I was there with the unit, yes probably, but I suspect you just got lucky...
The switch needs dismantling and cleaning.
you are correct on the "getting it fixed" but hard to find some in Minnesota that does it without saying,"well if i do this,i have to do that,and then......etc,gets spendy real fast.

Which way round is it - with loudness off or on when one channel is louder? - and how much louder, deafening or just noticeable?

Which way round is it - with loudness off or on when one channel is louder? - and how much louder, deafening or just noticeable?
Loudness was on when i did the experiment and for loudness......5X or so louder but clear sound still

'I work on Sansui' a little bit, and such work is often fuelled by cups (or mugs) of tea at regular intervals. :D

I have a mug of tea in front of me now, it has "World's Bestest Daddy" on it. :)

Oh, and I don't whistle much except maybe 'through my teeth' - in amazement at the ½ pound of extra solder someone has slathered over the MC Head Amp boards in the AU-X11 I am working on. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
What would be the defining symbol or indication of a happy audio tech or hobbyist?

Not grease & grime in your cuticles.
Not solder burns on your fingertips.
Can you smell rosin in my hair?
How 'bout a sparkling SMD in your earlobe?

None of the above?

Hmmm. I guess you'll just have to read the threads on AK!

Enjoy - - -

Back
Top Bottom