Ian D. Baren, AK chinacave, R.I.P.

johnschwenk

I'm very sorry to report, for those AKers who don't already know, that Ian Doyle Baren, chinacave on AK, died suddenly and unexpectedly on Saturday, January 26th, 2019. He was 55 years old.

Ian was a very active AKer, posting as recently as October 31st, 2018. (My search yields many hundreds of posts going back to at least 2010.) He had many vintage audio projects, built and rebuilt dynamic and electrostatic speakers, but specialized in rebuilding tube amps and preamps.

He attended many "Frankenfests" (we went together to half a dozen) and other audio gatherings over the years and became friendly with many of you. He was a very sociable, caring, and friendly person and could make friends with just about anyone. He was one of the most accepting and least assuming people I've ever met.

But Ian had many passions, too numerous for me to come up with them all. Flying small planes, cars, cigars, caving, history, guns, music, photography, a voracious reader, etc.. Just one example is illustrated by the origin of his AK handle, chinacave. Ian was inducted into The Explorers Club for leading cave exploration expeditions into the People's Republic of China! He spoke, and could read and write, Mandarin Chinese.

Ian's funeral was held on January 31st in Katonah, NY, close to where he worked as Vice President of his brother Andrew's Architectural Hardward business (founded by their father, Paul Baren).
https://clarkassociatesfuneralhome.com/tribute/details/339/Ian-Baren/obituary.html#tribute-start
Ian knew and touched so many people in so many domains of his life that the funeral home was overfilled, standing room only and with people out in the hall. There were no parking spaces left. Yet, I, alone, know of several of his friends who weren't able to make it. Some who did flew in or drove long hours to get there. (I don't doubt that some more of you would have been there had you known in time.)

Ian was never married and had no kids of his own but loved his brother's children and grand children very much.

Ian and I were devoted friends for 42 years - since we were each 13. We started caving together at age 16 in a small CT cave and shared a surprising number of interests, not the least of which were hifi and electronics. I got the electrical engineering degree and sometimes was his electronics consultant since he was "just" an amateur.

I will have the sad priviledge of inheriting his hifi stuff. Ian worked on other people's stuff and traded a lot. If Ian had an item of yours, let me know and I'll try to get it back to you eventually. I know he was rebuilding some preamps for an older CT gentleman named Gerry (or Jerry) but I don't think he was an AKer. If anyone can get me more information on that, please do. I can be reached at johnschwenk AT juno DOT com.

Rest in peace, Ian. I'm going to miss you for the rest of my life.

I am very sorry to read this post, I don't believe I ever interacted with Ian here. But your description makes its evident that he touched many lives, The light that is AK burns a little dimmer now, with one of its own extinguished. I hope you can remember him, the good times, and share the light that he was. I believe we will meet up again, and Ian will be there for that great Ak fest we will have when we leave this mortal coil. It will be in a little while for most of us, and Ian and others will be there waiting patiently for us.

Take care.

Mister Pig

Hi John,

I am very sorry to hear about AK's loss and yours. I don't remember Ian from frankenfest, but I've always been terrible with names and may have met him. If I did, then I liked him, since I liked everyone I met at the fest. I did know him from barter town as I always liked to check out his interesting and more than fair offerings. I recently obtained a Mcintosh sacd/cd player from him for a great price and it was a fun transaction. I will treasure the deck more now as a remembrance of a fine man. Once again let me express my sympathy. Losing a friend is something you never get over, but I hope you'll be able to dwell on the great memories. It sounds like you have many.

Your friend,
Joe W

Aw man...

Ian was one of the good ones.

I swapped all sorts of stuff with him over the last few years- he was always straight-up and happy to help with anything he could.

He will definitely be missed.

Regards,
Gordon.

RIP Ian. 55 is much too young, from the sounds of it they were very full of great memories. My sincere condolences to the family and friends.

Was I not paying attention Before?
It seems like we're falling like flies recently.
RIP Ian.
I'm sure I met him at least once.
To the rest of you as sergeant Esterhaus used to say, " hey, let's be careful out there".

What the...

Oh no :(

My prayers and love are with him and his family. What a wonderful man

We are diminished again here on earth.

Too young also :(

Frannie

Oh man, this sucks. :( I remember seeing Ian at several of the FrankenFests. I enjoyed listening to his B&W DM70 speakers be brought to one of them, though unfortunately, one of my Dynaco Mark III amps did a number on one of their electrostatic tweeter panels when the connector on top came loose during a listening session. :oops: I hope he was able to get it fixed. RIP Ian, and may you be hanging out with Frank and Don in heaven.
-Adam

I'm sorry for the loss - I've talked to Ian at many FrankenFests and we've had mutual friends from other worlds.
He will be missed.

I just purchased a Darling amp from Chinacave. He shipped it on Jan 24. This is a shock!

Rest in peace Ian!

What a stinkin shame, I had a great time with Ian at the AK get togethers in NJ & NY. He's the reason I decided to build my pair of open baffle speakers.

Back
Top Bottom