I'd rather be a country man then a town man

Henry Kloss

I've done both. As a kid I lived in the city, then on a farm, then back to the city, back to a farm all before grade 8. Talk about learning how to fight. Not so much moving to the city, they didn't care. But country kids didn't like city kids.

I've also been back and forth as an adult as well. I don't live on a farm anymore, but I also don't live in the city.

My question is....

Would you rather be a country man or a town man.

I couldn't deal with a big city, no way! The older I get, the more I question do I want to be HERE exactly. My parents bought this house in 1975; I took ownership in 2011. I'm smack dab in the middle of nowhere. When someone tried to break in year before last (first time ever), it took a good 30 minutes for the cops to get out here; I grant you that I would have handled the situation just fine had he have gotten past the door, but it's still food for thought. If I have a medical emergency, it will take 911 forever to get out here provided the roads are decent. It's a conundrum. I love the house, though it needs work, and there are many fond memories, but there are times being closer to civilization sounds better.

I grew up on a farm.... and I used to take my dad's Acoustiflex Model 12's outside before I purchased my own CERWIN VEGA D9'S in mid 80's I used to CRANK UP the VOLUME to FULL POWER for hours on end, and Nobody lived close enough to hear it let alone complain....... Country Life is the best way to Live and there's so much to keep kids occupied out in the Country... dirt bikes, and many hobbies to have fun with

i grew up in the city and would spend the summers at my grandparents farm. when i got married and had kids i couldnt find a big enough house that i could afford in the city so i bought a nice house by a lake in the burbs with 1/2 acre lot. i cant even handle that god i wish i was still in the city. my business is in the city and its mostly the commute i hate, wasted time. i used to eat lunch at home take a nap if i wanted. always been an urban guy no sidewalks where i live now people walk in the streets whats up with that.

the older I get the more I'd like to be in the sticks.
I thoroughly enjoy visiting with family in Arkansas on my uncle's forty acres.They don't even have a mailbox.love it!

I've lived in both and I'll take the country (in my case, a small town) any day. I now live in Milford, N.H. It's like you stepped back in time. A short drive out of town and you're in the mountains.

102b73614a7883858259852aec5dd693.jpg

Born and raised in the country in 1950 - spent a few years in town during college and a few jobs shortly after - bought this place in the country in 1986 - selling it now. Might be moving into town, depends on what we can find. Don't know if I'll like it or not.

I was raised on a ranch. My wife, raised in the mountains. We now live in town. We have a cabin in the mountains that I go to 10 X more than she. I'm happy. Cabin has only music, the house in town has T.V. . I listen to music in town, and watch the birds at the cabin. I'm happy.

I've lived in both and I'll take the country (in my case, a small town) any day. I now live in Milford, N.H. It's like you stepped back in time. A short drive out of town and you're in the mountains.

102b73614a7883858259852aec5dd693.jpg
Nice place it is -- we're not all that far from you (in the great scheme of things).

May I make an observation?

Well I'm going to-

Being from a rural background, and now living in town. And having many conversations about moving to the country with many people....

I think that " I want to live in the country " is code for " I want to live further away from people ".

I get it.

...but isn't it intriguing that humans are supposed to be so social, yet so many of us just don't care about socializing?

We've lived in our current home for about 8 years, and I can only name our immediate neighbors. We do not go out of our way to introduce ourselves to others, and neither do others.
This just isn't the way it was 30-50 years ago.

I've lived in the country most of my life and need some room to breathe and move around on. I've got 12 acres and that's not nearly enough. The town I moved close to back in 1988 is moving a lot closer to me. It's not a big town but I'd still rather be farther away from it.

This is a picture out my back window but it really doesn't show a lot.

IMG_0851 (1).JPG

Having watched the town I grew up in triple in size while the downtown core turned into a battleground - so much noise, sirens going off every 10 min., traffic, hurry up and wait in line for every purchase, seeing ppl with hard, desperate faces, fights etc. I left in 2002. Moved out to the country but still within an hour's drive of "civilization", I would never go back for anything. To me the city ain't livin' it's just existing trying to survive without getting messed up by thugs or cops. For me I just wanted to get away from trouble.

Mind you I ran with the rough crowd on the graveyard shift well into my forties before I finally grew up a bit and realized the shit I've seen and been part of was largely my own choice. Day people and family folks never see that side and certainly can live like everything's hunky dory without much chance of street drama but too late for me. As for the night shift I realize some ppl have no choice or the means to get out - you get in or down so far it's nearly impossible to get out again. It took me 8 yrs. to get my shit together to move to the country. Still on either side of town I don't know how anyone can stand it.

Of course if I had to go to a hospital or a cop shop or jail I'd go then leave as soon as possible.
TMI? My bad.

I used to play these two tracks a lot to keep me focused on getting out of Oshawa. It worked.
Finally (you're welcome) I conclude that a lot of city problems exist because human beings although social animals weren't meant to be packed together so tightly in the first place.
IMHO & YMMV.

Last edited:
I was born and raised in an Irish neighborhood in Chicago (Chicago, not “Chicagoland”), lived there much of my life and will go back there when done wandering in the RV. My wife was from Philadelphia and when I met her she lived in the Uptown neighborhood in Chicago; a fast talking wise ass city woman.

A few years ago we lived in Lexington Ky., thought we’d like a small city. We grew to despise the place and went back to Chicago after three years. Rube Valhalla. When the guy who handed out the towels to University of Kentucky basketball players died and was in the news for four days, was called “Mr UK” and laid in state like a Pope with thousands filing by his coffin we knew it was time to go.

San Antonio is cool with a vibe of its own. We’re staying at a nice RV park on the south side of the city right along the river walk. RV parks in a city are a rare thing. We’re renting here long term to use San Antonio as a base for our travels.

Last edited:
My ideal might not be out in farm country (don't particularly care for it), but I would prefer living on one of the Great Lakes, out away from the craziness, yet still within an hour or so of a large city in order to take care of business and shop for essentials. Otherwise, I want to live in or near the mountains...again, within an hour or so of a large city. The thing right now is that our street is basically 1940-era bungalows seemingly right on top of each other. The only thing separating our houses is about a 42 inch strip of lawn and a single-car driveway. Any little thing the neighbors do, we hear it--doors closing, cars coming and going, keeping the dogs in line, toddler throwing a fit, etc. Not that I mind people living their lives, but I don't need to hear every...single...thing. I preferred the corner lot I grew up on, and the corner lot on the house I owned across town--at least it felt more open, especially with a park across the street.

Been a lifer in this area, and I'm tired of quite a few things about it, and this state. 3½ years from now, I'll be free to move away. Looking forward to it. :)

I live 25 miles northwest of Philadelphia at my Christmas tree farm.
My wife and I built our home on the property back in 2002.
Basically I live off of the land by selling the trees that I grow.

There use to be many farms in this area but no more.
My property borders a state park that came about in the late 1960's.

This area has become wall to wall housing which is good for business but it has it's drawbacks.
The mindset of the newcomers is much different than the old-timers.
Times have changed and many take offense when they here the sound of a firearm being legally discharged.
Southeastern PA has become a haven for deer and BITD there were hardly any deer in this area.

If the world as we know it drastically changed my wife and I could live off the land.
There would be enough venison for us and our pet to survive.

Back
Top Bottom