I'd rather be a country man then a town man

Yeah, you can point at any number of places like that in any country setting, but for every place you point to as an example of how bad it is in the country I could point to its equivalent in some shithole ghetto in any major city. Your blanket statement works both ways and IMO says more about the sad state of human conditioning than any location it inhabits.
*cough* Welcome to Detroit. *cough* I admire that they're turning around the downtown, but the shit you have to drive through to get there...the evil looks because you don't belong there, the thread of being carjacked or shot at, panhandlers on the corners, garbage-strewn streets and freeways...uh, no thanks. I know the delusional hipsters get their panties in a wad if you dis Detroit, but they've never had someone they know followed for a couple of miles for just looking at them at a 4-way stop (which happened to my better half). I hate that my daughter has to go down into that cesspool for college. Hell, they went down for some sort of "Noel Nights" thing (or whatever it was called) and there was gunfire among the crowds.

I have cousins that live out in the suburbs of Detroit and a few years ago we had some seriously heavy rains in Michigan One Summer Afternoon and my cousin lost everything in his basement when 5 feet of water came in from the sewer system he lost some vintage beautiful audio file speakers and equipment....
Remember it all too well. August 2014. Our house was dry, but down by the end of the street they had flooded basements. We lost a car in the flood, over in Warren (after their dumb-assed cops closed two roads and directed everyone to 13 Mile Rd. which is the first place to flood out from Red Run and Bear Creek).

I actually knew that -- but only because my wife, a crazy-avid birder, has been birding in some of those very locales twice in recent years.... in the dead of winter.
I'm lucky that I am only 20 minutes away from a major Metropark here that is on a migratory path for birds (as it juts out into the lake). Likewise, further down at the Lake Erie Metropark, there are similar migratory paths. Pretty cool to have these parks locally. A nice escape from the city.

So many Californians moving to Texas and Colorado where there are people I know in both States and they say they're trying to bring The Californian mindset with them and try to change the place they moved to into a carbon copy of the place they escaped from.... It's just amazing to me that there are people this dense!
A friend of mine is moving out of California to Texas because of that mindset. Lifelong resident--attended UCLA, grew up in LA. Now that he's retired (Navy) and the kids are in college, he and his wife are moving on. We've compared notes on where we live...and I'm not even talking about the politics or anything, but just some things that deal with everyday living were a hassle, or the laws are vastly different (or interpreted differently), or many things are way more expensive than elsewhere in the country.

Thanks for bringing this thread full circle, Wildcat. Perception is reality.

I hate migratory birds. They poop all over the place.

One of my biggest issues with living in the country are the city slikkers who buy one of the 1/2 acre plots with a house on it, then buy horses and dirt bikes thinking that any nearby unfenced property is theirs to use.

Born in DC, grew up in DC suburbs, first Maryland, now in Northern VA - nice to have decent medical close-by, nice for a great selection of tasty food from world-wide cuisines.
Sucks to be close in to a somewhat dense buncha folks, great to have a nice selection of venues for live music, suck that prices for shows are so high and too many times
scalpers grab the best seats.
Nice that my dad had acreage to have a horse for my younger sister as she grew up (I had to settle for motorcycles!) ...
Nice that the value of our house has nearly trebled since we bought it in 2000 - sad what they gouge us for taxes!
Have not had problems with us 2 women living together and buying this house in Fairfax ...
Not sure it would have been the same had we been further out or down I-81 in the Shenandoah Valley ...
We also had some wonderful radio stations in DC, from WMAL in the old days (Harden & Weaver, Felix Grant, etc) WHFS, WGMS(Dennis Owens) the AM top 40 stations in the late 1960's.

We also had some wonderful radio stations in DC, from WMAL in the old days (Harden & Weaver, Felix Grant, etc) WHFS, WGMS(Dennis Owens) the AM top 40 stations in the late 1960's.
Not even talking about WHMC 1150-AM (Heart of Montgomery County) or WKTK-FM Catonsville ... And yes, Felix Grant ...!
But I posted this to Facebook a week back when someone mentioned a new feature on WHFS ...

'HFS was just one of the MANY stations available via FM - I grew up in Burtonsville, MD -
eastern Montgomery county in Maryland, midway between DC and Bal'mer.
I put a powerful FM antenna and rotor on the roof -
and we got lots of prog and alternative radio in the early 70s.
WAMU - 88.5, BEFORE NPR, they had local DJs & rock!
WGTB - 90.1 Georgetown Broadcasting,
WHFS - 102.3 Bethesda's High Fidelity Station (!),
WMUC - 88.1 Maryland U, College Park (10 watts - low power),
WJHU - 88.1 Johns Hopkins U. (10 watts - same Freq as WMUC!),
WCVT - 89.7 a powerhouse - Community Voice of Towson! ...
I had to pick & choose at times to find the right DJs - but it was a wealth of music!
Oh, and for good jazz & R&B from
WHUR (the ebony Lifestyle station) or
WEAA from Morgan State University
Plus some AM stations ... thats another story!
My, how the local airwave changed since those heady days of the '70s!

Last edited:
@ccoyle, I'm not into proving my point of how I love being in the country enough to do actual research.
Perception is some of it, you're right.

Anywhere I might live in the city would likely not be a good part of town, like where I live now.

In the 17 years I've lived here, I've been hit by lightning twice, had a couple items stolen out of my yard, and had my pickup truck set on fire. True story. It's in the heart of a downtown little burg, tiny, in fact, but I'm right up against others.

I like the country, I want to return, and this may cloud my vision. You give a solid counterpoint to the idea that cities might statistically be safer. They're just not for me. I like to pee outside, and that tends to be frowned upon.

@Tom Brennan, after thinking about what you said about "herdsman" I saw your point. You were thinking very macro, I was thinking micro. Always an interesting stance you take, Tom.

Using something called www.neighborhoodscout.com, which may or may not be reliable or up-to-date, it looks like urban R.I. has a violent crime rate of 2.39 / 1,000 residents. Rural Montana has 3.68 violent crimes per 1,000 residents.

Heh heh, yeah, urban Rhode Island, the "badass, don't-go-there" of metropolitan areas. Highly educated, affluent (primarily white) people. That number doesn't surprise me.

Let's say Urban Chicago and Rural Minnesota. Wonder how those numbers would compare.

Oh man, I'm only joshing ya. I been adjusting the personality, as Willie calls it.

This conversation reminds me of a movie I saw recently in which how country life turned out to be more than one would want it to be, I reckon.
51GDXXH18HL.jpg

Here is a word that should put fear into the Country folk,... Septic

Why?

Our septic tank and grey water tanks are completely awesome. Grey water pumps out 50m down the hill and septic is underground and the trees have grown over it all. Every 5-7 or so years you can get it pumped out by Dr Pooh (yep, that's the name of the business).

Sometimes grass gets into the submersible pump in the grey water tank, but I just lift the lid and pull it up, hit it with the pressure cleaner and all is fine..

Not even talking about WHMC 1150-AM (Heart of Montgomery County) or WKTK-FM Catonsville ... And yes, Felix Grant ...!
But I posted this to Facebook a week back when someone mentioned a new feature on WHFS ...

'HFS was just one of the MANY stations available via FM - I grew up in Burtonsville, MD -
eastern Montgomery county in Maryland, midway between DC and Bal'mer.
I put a powerful FM antenna and rotor on the roof -
and we got lots of prog and alternative radio in the early 70s.
WAMU - 88.5, BEFORE NPR, they had local DJs & rock!
WGTB - 90.1 Georgetown Broadcasting,
WHFS - 102.3 Bethesda's High Fidelity Station (!),
WMUC - 88.1 Maryland U, College Park (10 watts - low power),
WJHU - 88.1 Johns Hopkins U. (10 watts - same Freq as WMUC!),
WCVT - 89.7 a powerhouse - Community Voice of Towson! ...
I had to pick & choose at times to find the right DJs - but it was a wealth of music!
Oh, and for good jazz & R&B from
WHUR (the ebony Lifestyle station) or
WEAA from Morgan State University
Plus some AM stations ... thats another story!
My, how the local airwave changed since those heady days of the '70s!
For me it was WETA, WMAL-FM, WHFS, WEEL-AM, and WEAM-AM. When I wanted to be a radio engineer I hung around WEEL-AM and WETA. In fact I sold WETA the first 2 Technics SL1100a's when I worked at Harmony Hut at Springfield Mall. I got to do the actual switch over from 5000 watts daytime to 500 watts nighttime at WEEL a few times when the station engineer was present. Won the WHFS "Radio Activity" contest 3 times and actually spun my own vinyl there. Weasel wants me to contact the producers of the Feast Your Ears - WHFS movie to be interviewed about all that. That was a blast! I always wanted to see inside WGMS back in the '70's, but they had too many hoops to jump through. When I was 8 my dad took me on a Saturday morning to WMAL-AM where he swapped out a bad telephone thing and I got to see and watch Harden & Weaver. I was disappointed to realize all that music wasn't live, but recordings. In High school I was in Fairfax Counties first TV Production class at Robinson Secondary school We took a field trip to WETA TV for a taping of Firing Line with William F Buckley Jr, and his guest Hubert Humphrey.

Why?

Our septic tank and grey water tanks are completely awesome. Grey water pumps out 50m down the hill and septic is underground and the trees have grown over it all. Every 5-7 or so years you can get it pumped out by Dr Pooh (yep, that's the name of the business).

Sometimes grass gets into the submersible pump in the grey water tank, but I just lift the lid and pull it up, hit it with the pressure cleaner and all is fine..

Our septic system and gray water tanks were completely awesome. Gravity fed the gray water to a citrus grove that grew over it. Every other year we had it pumped.
Then, one day we got gurgles and blorps in the house.
So, I went and took the lids off the tank, and found the effluent level to be just below the caps, which is about 18"+ higher than its ever been. It somehow didn't back up into the house. So we called our local expert, and, he came put and ran some tests, ran some snakes, dug some test holes, and determined it was dead.
I'm sure the oeple that built the house said the same thing you did, and the people that we bought from provided inspection reports and a cleaned out system.
After 40 years, and alife under a lime grove, it failed. Our Pee Lime pies are now suffering as a result of having to relocate our leach field and tank.
This is why:
messyField.gif

As our septic contractor says,.... A Royal Flush beats a Full House.

@ mfrench - "Pee Lime Pie". Hysterical.

Anyone read about how the world' phosphorus mostly comes from Morocco, and they're running out?? A scientist has figured out how to boil down and pasteurize human urine, which is RICH in phosphorous.

Coming to a farm near you - human urine.

Soylent Green cannot be far behind.

they all fail eventually. even if you pump and even if trees grow over top. poop, is the biggest problem in the country.

(its one of the reasons I own a backhoe - I helped many neighbors 'get their shit together')

Back
Top Bottom