ID sought for weird tonearm on Technics SP10 MK2

Little Danny

Hi all, new poster here with a newbie question.

I'm a record collector primarily; my hardware knowledge is correspondingly pretty limited. I posted this at record-collecting forum, and didn't get much response, so here I am.

I bought this Technics SP10 MK2 from a defunct college radio station years ago. Not sure what sorta service it really saw, and no one could really tell me about where the plinth or the hardware came from. Cartridge is a Shure M44C. I occasionally use it for 78s.

Do any of you audio experts recognize any of the hardware (besides the turntable itself), especially the manufacture of the tonearm hardware? I'm assuming it's possibly a one-off custom job.

(Frustratingly, it also seems to be impossible to make any adjustments to it.)

Thanks again, stoked to be here.

tt1.jpg

tt2.jpg

tt3.jpg

tt4.jpg

Isn't this a Micro-Trak 303?

Edited to add: I'm unable to find a date for it. It was made for broadcast use. I did learn that tracking force was adjusted by adding weight to the headshell, not by moving the counterweight, which apparently is fixed in place. I would think that ruggedness was a primary consideration in its design. Radio stations wanted gear that could plow through any obstruction in the groove, without skipping. We can be sure that someone here will know a lot about it, and there's probably someone here who used one professionally.

Last edited:
Also, with this info I just gave Bob Mayben a call - he suggested what others have re: weights. Basically just cut/repurpose the brass weights from sheet metal or other hardware shims/bits.

Back
Top Bottom