ID this Dual 1019 part please?

teebomus

I recently acquired a Dual 1019 in a nice enclosed plinth. This heavy part was laying in the bottom under everything. It has 5959/1 on it. Anyone know what it is and where it goes? The turntable plays fine without it. Although I am working to get rid of a low-level hum in one channel. 15498262746648238061016000247766.jpg

Thank you. Perhaps previous owner removed it. I'll download service manual to find how to place it back. I found the hum as well,. Cart wire was corroded. Sounds great so far. Thanks again.

I notice that to get speed right at 33 1/3 I have to turn speed control almost all the way clockwise. Is this an issue? Or potential issue? I've yet to clean motor. It is quiet this far.

I notice that to get speed right at 33 1/3 I have to turn speed control almost all the way clockwise. Is this an issue? Or potential issue? I've yet to clean motor. It is quiet this far.

It's not an issue most likely - the motor pulley is tapered and the speed control raises/lowers the idler wheel assembly - however the height of the pulley itself on the motor shaft can be adjusted, so that you get normal speed at the center of the dial. Unlike later Dual motors, the 1019 motor needs some time to warm up until the speed stabilizes. That can take as long as 30-40 minutes I think, before that it runs slow.

Or the motor shaft has baked on lubricant on it, and needs to be cleaned. To do this, the motor has to be disassembled. Not particularly difficult, but if you have never done it before, be very careful and pay close attention to all the steps you take. Once it is apart, use MEK or something to clean any residue off the shaft. Lubricate the bearings, and put the thing back together. Then whack the motor or motor shaft with the plastic handle of a screwdriver. This will help realign the bearings, which are made to be adjustable.
One other thing to consider is that the motor cap may be out of spec and need replacing, and this can have an effect on motor speed in some motors.

About this particular motor- The older ones have foam oil wicks. They turn to dust. Need to do a good deal of work to replace with cotton or wool wick.

Thanks for replies everyone. Part of me wants to leave well enough alone regarding the speed dial. I did consider adjusting the wheel height on the tapered shaft. Motor breakdown as well maybe one day.
The channel I thought was fixed occasionally drops out. I remove sled and fiddle with springy piece and sound comes back for a while. Continuity checks out through the headshell, so must be sled. Should I break down and invest in new sled available online?

I bought a couple of the aftermarket sleds online. They work great but they are missing the index marks at the front and sides which help with cartridge alignment.

Never had a channel drop out with either of them.

Good luck!

Thanks for replies everyone. Part of me wants to leave well enough alone regarding the speed dial. I did consider adjusting the wheel height on the tapered shaft. Motor breakdown as well maybe one day.
The channel I thought was fixed occasionally drops out. I remove sled and fiddle with springy piece and sound comes back for a while. Continuity checks out through the headshell, so must be sled. Should I break down and invest in new sled available online?

You can use a sewing needle or something small to slightly raise the contacts on the sled, this way they will make contact securely, but be very gentle

On one I actually went so far as to very carefully thread a small piece of foam under those contacts to help them stay where they belonged as I had the feeling those flimsy strips had weakened over time. A little epoxy at the mounting points is also a good thing to do.

I may try to bend it up gently and place small foam under it. It's the white wire and corresponding contact that is the offender on mine. Thanks all.

Pictures help a lot. Thank you. I wonder if foam weatherstripping would do the trick? I'll experiment.

Thank you. Perhaps previous owner removed it. I'll download service manual to find how to place it back. I found the hum as well,. Cart wire was corroded. Sounds great so far. Thanks again.

How did you clean those? Specifically, what are you using to clean the inside of the contacts that go on the male pieces on the cartridge?

Last edited:
Update: I ended up having to buy a new replacement sled. It is working but I have a question. It seems to fit very tight, I wonder if the original dual sled was also very tight when the turntable was new?
Part of it may be the new sleds wires are considerably thicker then the original sled wires so it's a little more difficult for the back of the sled to fit. I had to bend the wires down a bit to get it in there. Any thoughts?

Well, there are two popular after-market sleds out there. The printed one is not as good a fit as the molded one. Competing companies making the same part differently.

I have one of each of the aftermarket sleds. On one of them, I had to bend the leads out of the way so my cartridge would sit far enough to the rear to allow proper alignment and also mount to the arm. The other one fit without incident.

FWIW, both of the aftermarket sleds fit tighter than the OEM Dual sleds I have. Both have held up well to multiple installations and removals and I haven't had any channel-dropping issues with either.

I'm so glad that these are available since both of my OEM ones are in pretty rough shape. Having multiple sleds and carts has been awesome. It's really nice to be able to swap out carts in a few seconds.

Back
Top Bottom