Ideas for this bench vise??

Wow, that’s turned out perfectly I reckon. Not overly tidied up and pretty but functional and yet industrial chic.

You must be very proud and I’m sure your dad would have been too.

Thanks, @neevo. There were so many dents, chips, outright gouges, I could have driven myself nuts with it all. And the 20+ years of rust after the fire really did a number on some of it, pitting and whatnot. I do kinda like the black carbon on the back of the sled, attempted to take that off with a gentle grinding, but thought it might affect tolerances, so I let it go. Plus, that part will not rust.

My first time doing anything like this. Now I'm gonna be hunting for more stuff to tinker with. Cannot recommend the reverse electrolysis enough for removing rust.

Looks great!

(For rust... an old machinist told me to mix kerosene and turpentine half and half. Dampen a rag and wipe bare metal down. Works for me.)

Well this has been quite the odyssey for you, oj.

Looks like we've all learned a lot of stuff along the way about yer vice.:naughty:

Sone how, I think your dad had a part in this...felt sorry for ya, then helped out. You never know.

The plating still might be a route to go, iffen you stay away from the moving parts and the paint don't work out long time. Just a thought.

I had a bet with myself which technique would win in the end. I lost!

Thanks for this thread. I has been most entertaining.:thumbsup:

Q

The whole "do not thin" has more to do with using it in a brush application. Too much thinner and it just sags and run. It has to be thinned to spray it, brush paint is just too thick to get through a sprayer as you found out.

https://www.hammerite.co.uk/howto/brush-cleaner-thinner/

says 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner for spraying. Not sure what their brush cleaner thinner is, but my bet is on standard mineral spirits paint thinner.

Looks great!

(For rust... an old machinist told me to mix kerosene and turpentine half and half. Dampen a rag and wipe bare metal down. Works for me.)
Thanks, man, I'll try that! The speed with which that rust came back on the screw collar was frightening.

The whole "do not thin" has more to do with using it in a brush application. Too much thinner and it just sags and run. It has to be thinned to spray it, brush paint is just too thick to get through a sprayer as you found out.

https://www.hammerite.co.uk/howto/brush-cleaner-thinner/

says 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner for spraying. Not sure what their brush cleaner thinner is, but my bet is on standard mineral spirits paint thinner.
Yeah, that was a bust, lol. But.....I learned from it.

My good friend, who lost his own father just a year before mine, is looking for HIS father's old bench vise, so if he wants to use the remainder of the paint, we'll cut it down per those instructions.

Anyone notice the little metal tray I painted in one of those pics?? It was from some long forgotten bbq thing, where you put hickory chips inside, and I found it laying about. Wire wheeled it, and slathered that paint on there, figured I'd use it for something.

Thanks, everyone! And if anyone DOES find themselves within 25 miles of Bowling Green, Ky, bring something to chuck up in the vise, lol. My door's always open!

I'm finding this thread weirdly mesmerizing!

I agree. It has been very gripping.

Seriously, this is excellent to see. The connection with OWJs father makes it all the better. An inherited receiver from my father is how I got into the audio hobby. Lord knows I learned tons about all kinds of DIY just watching my father work in his shop and around the house. Hope I can pass some knowledge on to my kids.

Last edited:
Well you got it to look and work well so it has been successful! Look forward to your next restoration thread here on AK!

Back
Top Bottom