Identifying Your Advent Loudspeakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marantz with advent smaller speakers

Hello you all,

I am new at posting on this site but I had to let you know how I came across my advents. I have been looking for a vintage stereo system for a long time and after 30 years I found one at the Salvation Army thrift store of all places. I walked into the store and walked over to the electronic section and one of the guys was putting on the self a Marantz 2220 stereo receiver. I just stood in front of the stereo with my jaws hanging down to the floor. When I finally snapped out of it, I asked him what he wanted for the reciever because I was very interested in it. He wasn't sure so I offered him half of what was in my wallet and that was six dollars, he said ok. He said by the way I have some speakers that goes with it in the back room. So I went back with him and they were the small advent speakers with red tweeters (two way). I said I will give you six bucks for them, he said ok. So I walked out of the store with $500.00 setup (70's prices) for 12 bucks, what a sweet deal. New price today could be as much as double, I believe?
Well anyway I went home and hook them up like a little child at a candy store and I was truly amazed at the sound. I can't believe people dropping off such a nice stereo but it sure made me happy. Just a few days ago I went back down to the store and there was a pair of MCS Series A 8290 Honeycomb 3 way Disc Speakers sitting on the floor for $40 bucks (Just shy of excellent shape a small dent on top corner of one of the speakers, size of a half a dime). The lady liked me and gave them to me for $15.00 another sweet deal. With this system I have nothing but clear high, mid's and base thumping music. I love the advent speakers they are very well made and will never depart with them. Also the MCS make a sweet addition with crisp high tones, mid's and thumping base. I like old vintage systems better than the new light weight systems. Thanks for the information it has been very helpful. Michael.:music:

Michaels 1956- Glad you got such a deal and can appreciate the sound.

Every day, I'm just amazed at the sound of old Advent speakers. Here is a look at my stacked Large Advent system in my home theater/ stereo. I love this shit!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 603
Large Advent Grill Cloth

Wondering if anyone has a good source for the burlap style advent cloth? Thanks
Sorry for the old thread.
niles300z

i came across a pair of Advent legacy II speakers with almost perfect cabinets, one of the two 10'' was ripped and i almost took em home with me. Especially for 24.99 a pair! They were solid feeling and quite heavy for their size i thought. I hope they're still there in the morning, i've been awake all night thinking about them and now i am totally going to get em if they're still there... Are the refoaming kits for the advents difficult to find or will generally any 10'' foam surround kit do? I know that some speakers have specific gaskets and or different procedures that need to be followed during the refoaming of the surrounds. I think Advents were one of them.... ? Anyhow, thanks for the great info and detailed clear photos. Awesome job and much appreciated here. .....AudioKarma always finds a way to amaze me. Great people, great site!

THe Legacy woofers are a generic 10" size. I believe the cone lip is flat and not angled

Just shim the woofers and you can't mess up. I would fix the tear before refoaming.

I was at the goodwill before the doors were even open for business... And guess what? I GOT EM"!:banana: well its not a tear and the surrounds are brittle on both woofers, totally deteriorated.. don't believe i spelled that right, a bit delirious from lack of sleep. :nutz::nutz:

I'm not familiar with the whole shimming procedure. When i refoamed the surrounds on my tannoy PBM 8's i didn't need to do that. Atleast i didn't think i needed to. They turned out perfect. Voice coil not scraping etc.. Also refoamed some old Lancers which was a huge pain. But the directions i recieved didn't mention that i needed to shim the speakers or how ever one is to do it..?

Is it okay to ask in this thread for more detail on what "shimming" is? And as far as generic goes, i can just get any 10'' surround replacement with speaker glue and it should work right? Another thing is the dust cap on these drivers are transparent, sort of like a screen door or better yet like panty hose. mesh netting, more mesh than net??? Sorry.. i am not making any sense. I am gonna go take a nap soon.. :drool: any more knowledge and advice is greatly appreciated as always. thanks.

Andy

My personal opinion is that, if the spider is in good shape and holding the one end of the voice coil in place, it's not necessary to use shims between the VC and pole piece.

In fact, I think it's better NOT to shim because you may not get the surround positioned right and when you remove the shims, the VC can be pulled out of correct position. :sigh:

Just do Like you did with the others. Do it by feel. It's always worked for me. :thmbsp:

Doug

After reading this whole thread you would think I could identify my large advents, their the big ones 26 inches high , beviled front ,walnut veneered cabinet, label on back says serial number A2 60919, HELP

After reading this whole thread you would think I could identify my large advents, their the big ones 26 inches high , beviled front ,walnut veneered cabinet, label on back says serial number A2 60919, HELP
Any chance you can post a photo with the grille off?

That serial number means it's an original "Advent Loudspeaker" and should have a masonite woofer and masonite framed tweeter set out from the speaker board.

If they have different drivers than these, they have been changed out sometime in their lives.:sigh:

EDIT: Actually, with that high a serial number for the originals, it may just have an all-metal woofer. It has been generally accepted that Advent started using the new all-metal woofers in the latest original Advents toward the end of production.

Doug

tks Doug

That serial number means it's an original "Advent Loudspeaker" and should have a masonite woofer and masonite framed tweeter set out from the speaker board.

If they have different drivers than these, they have been changed out sometime in their lives.:sigh:

EDIT: Actually, with that high a serial number for the originals, it may just have an all-metal woofer. It has been generally accepted that Advent started using the new all-metal woofers in the latest original Advents toward the end of production.

Doug

Thankd Doug , you nailed it!! An original by the way.

I see from other posts that people seem to have some reference for serial numbers for Large Advent speakers. Is that posted somewhere, or is this just general accumulated knowledge? I am looking at a pair of what look like New Large Advents, one of which has a serial number of U34176. The odd thing is that it looks like it has a new style dome tweeter, and when asked, the owner said that neither he nor the original owner replaced the tweeters. Can this be?:scratch2:

I see from other posts that people seem to have some reference for serial numbers for Large Advent speakers. Is that posted somewhere, or is this just general accumulated knowledge? I am looking at a pair of what look like New Large Advents, one of which has a serial number of U34176. The odd thing is that it looks like it has a new style dome tweeter, and when asked, the owner said that neither he nor the original owner replaced the tweeters. Can this be?:scratch2:

No it can't be. :D

But seriously, if that really is the serial number and there isn't another digit, it is an original utility version and should have a masonite woofer and masonite fried egg tweeter.

If you mistyped and there is another digit and does start with U3... it is a New Advent utility and should have an all-metal woofer and fried egg tweeter surrounded by metal.

Either way, somebody DID replace the tweeter with a newer one (assuming the serial number is correct).

The serial number knowledge is, as you suggested, accumulated knowledge. :thmbsp:

The original large Advent SNs went up to about 299,999 and then the New Advents started at 300,000.

EDIT: Hey, another Minnesota guy. Ya gotta love it.

Doug

They replaced more than just the tweeter!

Wow, now that you mention that the serial number is that of an original Advent, I can see the spacing between the woofer and tweeter is that of an original. Someone did an update! They put a NAL woofer in it and a Jensen era tweeter! There are three generations of parts in one package. All that being said, they could still sound very nice, just not a desirable package from a historical sense.:tears:

:D
No it can't be. :D

But seriously, if that really is the serial number and there isn't another digit, it is an original utility version and should have a masonite woofer and masonite fried egg tweeter.

If you mistyped and there is another digit and does start with U3... it is a New Advent utility and should have an all-metal woofer and fried egg tweeter surrounded by metal.

Either way, somebody DID replace the tweeter with a newer one (assuming the serial number is correct).

The serial number knowledge is, as you suggested, accumulated knowledge. :thmbsp:

The original large Advent SNs went up to about 299,999 and then the New Advents started at 300,000.

EDIT: Hey, another Minnesota guy. Ya gotta love it.

Doug

Ok Doug stop showing off!!! lolol

How much are Advents worth now?
I've seen some nice working ones go for 100$. Is that what they normally go for?
I bet this has been covered.. but I have a hot date to catch.
Ok not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom