If AKfest09 was moved...

Discussion in 'AKFest 2008' started by Army, May 23, 2008.

?

More likely to attend in 09?

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    43.7%
  3. Makes no difference to me

22 vote(s)
    21.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tentoze

tentoze Twangophile

I wouldn't even consider it.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. thedelihaus

thedelihaus Nocturnal transmissions

I'd like to attend next year. As for location, a few years back I'd say anywhere is fine. But now since I don't travel well anymore, I even opted out of this year's event.

But here's wishing it keeps growing, and with good fortune some day it's taking over a convention center in Vegas for a week.

3. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

Clay, did you know you can ski 3 months out of the year in Minnesota?
    The rest of the time it's too damn cold to go outside... :lmao:

4. sauuuuuce

sauuuuuce ...In a bottle or a can

The beach boys song from the 80's?:D

5. Wigwam Jones

Wigwam Jones Caesar non supra grammati

No, that was a reference to a tropical island of the same name. Kokomo, Indiana is a small town in the middle of Indiana. And it is...:thumbsdn:

6. 240sx4u

240sx4u Lunatic Member

I voted for the cedar rapids move, but honestly it makes no matter to me. Timing was poor this year so I could not attend. Hopefully next year!

Evan

7. Tmac83

Tmac83 Super Member

Hell Yes Cedar Rapids Iowa - Love The Idea!!!!!!! We could all go Irish Democrat for some food and beer!!!!

Close Airports to Cedar Rapids

Cedar Rapids
    Waterloo (About 45 minutes away)
    Des Moines (About 2 hours away)
    Chicago (About 3.5 hours or so)

8. inkman69

inkman69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

kansas city!!!! amtrac and airport

9. Arkay

Arkay Lunatic Member

My opinion doesn't count. The difference between Minnesota, Kansas or even Colorado, doesn't seem to make such a big difference when you are starting out from Hong Kong to begin with... if I can make it at all, the domestic add-on flight will probably cost about the same peanuts, anyway!

I hesitate --at this late stage-- to point out that your poll may not be so well constructed. It would have been much clearer (less room for interpretive error) if the choices had read, "More likely to attend if moved to Kansas" and "Less likely to attend if moved to Kansas" instead of just "yes" and "no". It is very possible (even likely) that some people interpreted the answer choices differently from others.

10. Stillone

Stillone Super Member

Gee, I thought that everyone on this forum thought the center of the universe was Binghamton, NY.

11. Ms Grumpy

Ms Grumpy Administrator Admin Subscriber

I am in a unique position, mostly because I am married to the "Grumpy" one and I know what kind of work he puts into the fest.

AK fest started as a way to get the local members together. The guys would get the chance to meet and "show off" their audio equipment. Being that we have a tiny house, a local hotel was used. Over the years we have learned alot and continued to get better and better. This year was definately the best. But every year comes with its troubles and alot of stress.

Has the topic of moving the fest ever come up, sure it has...like anything else that you take pride in..we always want what is best for the members and best for the fest. As far as finding an inexpensive hotel, they are not that hard to find. But when you start telling them what we need, example: that you need the furniture removed, then the prices start to rise. Holding an event like AK fest is not like renting a hotel for a convention, it is alot more.

So here I am again. I still believe that, even with the economy troubles, we have more good things to do here in the Detroit area with AK fest 09 and beyond. AK fest is something near and dear to both David and I, and without the help of Ernie, Luther and Dave, it would not be such a great show.

Like it was suggested in this thread, you guys can get your local members over to your house, meet and most importantly "enjoy the music".

Nancy

12. MountainMike

MountainMike Tree Hugging Music Freak

I can empathize with those organizing the event and the problem with logistics. Perhaps we just need to have more regional events to open it up to others who want to attend. I guess that could only work if you could get enough sponsor support to make it work on the $$$ end.

13. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Hear Hear !!! :music: :D :thmbsp:

14. Retro Stereo

Retro Stereo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:D

Nancy,
    I think EVERYONE is in agreement with everything you say, and if you and Grumpy "want" to keep taking care of it, Detroit is where it should be. But, if you two ever need a break, I'm sure there are AK Members here that would be willing to step up and help, that is all this thread is all about. I am, and have always been, okay with wherever the AK Fest is, and if I wasn't, I guess I wouldn't have driven out to Detroit the last four years. :D

Retro

15. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

I want to point out that I am not the only one capable of putting on the fest. I will point out that I am the only one stupid enough to put in thousands of hours for no pay to put on the show.

Its very easy to volunteer to put on the show. Its another to actually do it. Basically its a year round full time job with no pay. Oh yeah. By full time job I mean get up 6am in the morning and work on it till 10pm.

Again lots will offer but there is NO possible way it can be pulled off unless you quit your full time jobs to take on this task.

On another note the fest for 09 is nearly finalize. Yes Virginia there will be another fest. However I am considering this one as my last. At that time I may retire and the show will as well.

So to all those who say "I am coming next year"......well you better cause theres a good chance there will be no more.

Grumpy

16. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

What does retire mean?

Enjoy,
    Rich P

17. EricC

EricC AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'll fill in the calander whenever you have the date picked.

18. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

:sigh: Say it ain't so Joe!! :sigh: :tears:

19. Twenty20Man

Twenty20Man Is that you Michael?

well I think Grumpy nailed it,, he is doing the majority of the work, its hard enough to organize without attempting it by phone only... keep it there Grump

20. Wigwam Jones

Wigwam Jones Caesar non supra grammati

To become tired again. I was tired, then I slept and wasn't tired anymore. Now I'm retired.

Or, to put new tires on your car. My tires wore out, so I retired my car. Of course, before I could retire, I had to detire.

Or, to go to bed. I have retired for the evening.

And there you have it. Good night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.