If Audio Asylum members are "inmates," what are AK posters???

Tonto Yoder

Former member
I've missed the exact reason this forum is named "Audio Karma" (though I do have a Westerner's grasp of the concept of "karma").

But what does one call THOR???? :) OK, I KNOW what most people call him, but what does one call the general " ???? "
who posts on AK?????

Karmalites???? Karmalonians????

TY

Originally posted by Tonto Yoder
I've missed the exact reason this forum is named "Audio Karma" (though I do have a Westerner's grasp of the concept of "karma").

Karmalites???? Karmalonians????

TY

Since karma is a Buddhist concept and members take refuge in the "three jewels of Buddhism" one could say that members of AudioKarma are ... refugees

Well, here's the textbook definition for "karma":

kar·ma - n.

1. Hinduism & Buddhism. The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny.

2. Fate; destiny.

3. Informal. A distinctive aura, atmosphere, or feeling

Using definitions 1 and 2, everything that we do to our systems and the environment that they are used in create the total effect and end result of our labors of love.

Using definition #3, the main goal of our passions for sound is to create our own individual "perfect" audio experience, our ideal "distinctive aura, atmosphere, or feeling", or our audio karma . And that's how I came up with the name :)

Akshob,
Karma has a wider use beyond Buddhism, doesn't it???

http://www.spiritweb.org/Spirit/karma.html is a Hindu site

It has become simplified to mean "fate" or the slightly better "What goes around, comes around" which at least acknowledges one's ability to shape one's fate through action.

So would AK posters be "grasshoppers" in the sense of the "Kung FU" series???? And WHO gets to decide which members are the bodisatvas (sp?)?????

Last edited:
I dont know about you guys but I think Refugee is very fitting. :)

Nahh

he whines to much kinda like Proac :cry: :stupid:

I think you forgot Grasshopper :lmao: :lmao:

Whatever is adopted I think it should be something that can actually be pronounced.

Rob

Originally posted by Tonto Yoder
Akshob,
Karma has a wider use beyond Buddhism, doesn't it???

http://www.spiritweb.org/Spirit/karma.html is a Hindu site

It has become simplified to mean "fate" or the slightly better "What goes around, comes around" which at least acknowledges one's ability to shape one's fate through action.

So would AK posters be "grasshoppers" in the sense of the "Kung FU" series???? And WHO gets to decide which members are the bodisatvas (sp?)?????

It certainly does have a wider meaning. My intend was not to start a soteriological or interreligious dialogue - but to propose a possible title for members....

The term / concept was present in Hinduism centuries before Buddhism came into being in the Upanishads and later on the Gita(Buddhism essentially a reaction against the social caste system in Hinduism - as well as negating polytheism)

As to the term Bodhisattva - I am not sure I would have the haughtiness to call myself that - since it denotes an enlightened being willing to suffer for the good of mankind (i.e. Avalokitesvara or Kuan-yin, Christ, etc. et al.). I am not an altruistic person.
I don't even share my LPs or CDs...:D

Oh well, refugee, inmate, displaced person, émigré, evacuee, fugitive... whatever - I'm all of these - and a lost soul to boot :p:

Happy Listening,

~Michael~

Audio Karma...so is my stereo system predefined...and simply (or not) a matter of fate? Perhaps the stereo I will end up with is already determined.

:dunno:

I suppose I'll just toss out my anchor...

Originally posted by gonefishin
Audio Karma...so is my stereo system predefined...and simply (or not) a matter of fate? Perhaps the stereo I will end up with is already determined.

:dunno:

Sounds almost like good, old-fashioned Dutch Calvinism. Next come the 5 Points from the Canons of Dordrecht. How depraved is your audio system? :D

You guys are using too many Big words for this simpleton. I think I will just refer to myself as an Audioite. ;)

Grumpy

Originally posted by grumpy
You guys are using too many Big words for this simpleton. I think I will just refer to myself as an Audioite. ;)

Grumpy

Grumpy,
your coinage of the term "audioite" (I assume pronounced Odd--EE--OO--ITE) reminds me of the movie "That Thing You Do" where the band named themselves the "One-ders" (pronounced "Wonders") but invariably incorrectly pronounced The Oh- Need-ers.

Somehow I'll bet "Audioite" is going to rhyme with "coyote"!:)

TY

Well they are "INMATES" in the Asylum. Karma is Dali lama like to me so how about Disciples or Brethren apoligies to Angella on the brotherhood aspects.

Rob2:)

How about "incorrigibles", or "irreverents"?

Seems like most of us here are both.

:D Happy Listening:cool:

George

I'm with Lefty.

I was thinking Audiohead too.

Head, referring to anybody who is really really into something, anything, like:

pothead = no not pottery
bithead = computers
motorhead = cars
etc

Back
Top Bottom