If I Can Do It - You Can Do It! Veneering A PL-530 TT

wow - that's really nice and what a difference it makes. Looks well worth the time and effort - and then figure the $$ for the veneer and the pride of a job well done I bet it was worth it

This looks like a great project and one that I 'm going to attempt on my newly acquired Pioneer PL-560. However, one area of concern I have with any pre-glued product is that it will slowly start to come loose over time. I found a website that addresses this concern and I thought I'd submit it here for others who may have similar concerns.

The following can be found at: http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/1102-Pre-glued-real-wood-veneers:

For years we have had pre-glued edging tape (both plastic and real wood.) With large veneers you added your own glue. Now you can find large sheets of pre-glued heat-activated real wood veneers called CEDAN Tenderized Wood Veneer Sheets. Do they work? Yes, but not as easily as you might like.

Actually they suffer from the same problem as the edge tapes. When the glue on these is heated onto a bare wood surface, much of it just gets lost into the surface of the wood and the wood may not heat up enough to grab this glue. Also if the surface is not absolutely smooth, the gluing area is not as large as it could be. So, often, the edge trim comes loose with time. You get the same problem with the large veneers. In addition, they tend to pop up if you apply a water-based stain or finish because the wood swells up, creating more stress than the glue can take.

The solution is the same for both the edge trim and the large sheets. Prime the surface with contact cement. When I say ?prime,? I mean, sand the surface smooth to 120 grit paper, apply a coat of either water-based or solvent-based contact cement and let it dry for a day or more -- totally dry, not tacky at all. Keep in mind that all contact cement can be reactivated with heat. So when you use heat to apply the new veneer, the new glue will now bond with the old primed glue which has really soaked into the wood. Now you have a bond that will stay put.

The manufacturers want to make it just one step too easy by telling you to just add heat. Once you?ve primed the surface with contact cement, you can then ?just add heat? and you will have no problems later on.

Thanks for the proactive suggestion! :thmbsp: I will say this though - I've used the CEDAN self-adhesive veneer on a Toshiba SA-7150 bonnet restoration back in 2006 and it looks as good today as it did five years ago. How long are you talking about before the veneer gives way? :scratch2:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84908

Guys
I know my reply is late in the game, I just scored a beat up PL-518 Id love to refurb the thing. This thread is a reference.
bob

Working on the PL-550 right now. Should look great once it's finished. :thmbsp:

007wsi.jpg

Would this work for speakers too?...

Hi MaxZ28,
I was admiring your handiwork on those turntables. They look great. I have a pair of Sansui SP-2500X speakers and they have a thin film on them that simulates a woodgrain finish. After almost 40 years, the film is peeling off in large chunks. The cabinets for the speakers is made of a type of particleboard and the outer surface, under the peeling woodgrain film, is some kind of plastic laminate. It feels kind of slipperly when I touch it with my hand. Almost like a type of Formica.
Do you think that this veneer wth the adhesive backing would be good to do my speakers? Is the adhesive backing good for many kinds of surfaces? I'm not expecting a performance guarantee (LOL), but being that I am not at all familiar with the veneers, I am just looking for a knowledgeable opinion.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Geeze, if I'd known you were veneering everyone's Pioneers for free, I would have sent you my PL-570. Instead I had to build a new one from solid wood 'cause I'm afraid of veneer....

Looking really good!

Geeze, if I'd known you were veneering everyone's Pioneers for free, I would have sent you my PL-570. Instead I had to build a new one from solid wood 'cause I'm afraid of veneer....

Looking really good!

Thanks! :thmbsp: If you still have your plinth, send it my way. I've got plenty of veneer left over.

Just assembled my PL-570 with a new 4140 santos rosewood plinth.....

Before
001osa.jpg

After
035inw.jpg

032pg.jpg

The NOS dustcover on the way will make look brand new. :yes:

You should have started a new thread. That baby is sweet!

What happened to the custom holes from the old base? :D

Thought I'd bump this. I found it looking for a tutorial on doing the veneer for my 530. I couldn't have asked for a better demo! Thanks!:banana:

Working on the PL-550 right now. Should look great once it's finished. :thmbsp:

007wsi.jpg

I had some vinyl covering for speaker cabinets lying around.

100_0512 by jleon92f, on Flickr

Looks better than it was but not as good as yours!

100_0554 by jleon92f, on Flickr

Mine was a cost factor..a heat gun and roller helped. Vinyl was $10 for a BIG roll! Sale because no one liked the light color!LOL.

PL-550 in Vintage system by jleon92f, on Flickr

Finished TT.

Thanks and great! work, I need to save some $ and get the Zebra veneer! Really cool looking!

John.:music::D

Last edited:
Wow!

That looks absolutely fantastic. I would say great job no matter how many times you did it.

Makes me want to do mine now lol.

Can I ask where you got your veneer from?

Back
Top Bottom