If I die, what happens to my gear?

This, probably.
dumpster-RPCDy6VaW9CF0klaNoK00eN-680x383.JPG
Yep. That's exactly what my brother and I did with my mom's stuff when she died. We didn't want or need anything she valued and neither did the auction house.

My wife and kids know my stuff has some value. They'll take what they want and sell or give the rest away.

How they divide my guns is yet to be seen.............................................:cool:

My wife largely leaves me to my hobby and has very little understanding of how much the equipment is worth.
my wife views my various collections as "clutter and junk". She has no idea of the total value of my audio gear (and other hobbies).
Sounds like mine.

I will be gone.......

SO, what will be will be...

Can do what I can now, ..... but once gone......

Tell them that will have to deal with it, if wanting max $$ do your part!
Not then accept...

Barney

write everything down, stating last time it was recapped with only 3 caps wired backwards,
refoamed those JBLs and CVs but they're a little crooked, and the organic biomass
on those AJA LPs, list price, condition, minimum/maximums, lot discounts, etc

now put this wonderful document somewhere where EVERYONE will find it. like
under the loose floorboard in the corner of the basement under the big block
LS engine (that is also worth a couple of grand) and if you're lucky the guys
hauling it away will find it with the 100 Krugerrands and keep one or the other.
(pull the heads and look inside the cylinders - surprise awaits.)

now, who's going to buy that 60 inch 400 pound beautiful walnut console complete
with maggies (console pulls not the magnificent planars) and haul it up the stairs.
or several dozen of the mentioned console pulls in various states of undress,
disassembly, and electrically dangerous states.

now, if you are going to live another couple decades, who's to say that today's
valued treasures (junk) stays highly sought after, and today's sought after
new stuff stays, sought after.

sell now. enjoy your newer smaller stash with all that beautiful music
(hint: there was a book "Die Broke")

in firm jest, I happily salute flippers and dead-deniers, anything to keep all
this gear out of the landfills and to encourage that first among giants who
becomes the one and only one in history to become an instant IPO
billionaire for audio gear flipping. begin journey by starting young hoarding
and flipping to set new high water marks for all audio gear.

My wife calls it her 'retirement fund' and knows people who will get the right money for it. Me? I'll be dead, so no skin off my willy.

I missed out on a mint Akai TOTL setup including a GX-747 RtR going for $100, obviously sold by somebody who had no clue about its worth.

Last edited:
If you’re a collector, then the polite thing to do would be to move as much of it along to new owners as you can before you pass. That way you’re not sticking your loved ones with what a whole shit load of stuff from a hobby they may not share. Not everyone is gonna share your hobby, so not everyone is going to see any actual or intrinsic value in your things. You can’t expect them to. Don’t leave those you love with a headache.

Back
Top Bottom