If i was to manufacture a perfect set of speakers...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by butcherblock, Jul 8, 2017.

1. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

The speaker has to be linear, with a minimum of crossover points. Harmonic distortion should be less than 2%. The directivity of the speaker should be constant and be extended as low as possible. It would be nice if the speaker were fairly efficient, upper 90's would be nice. The bass should extend to below 20 HZ, and be non resonant to an octave above the 16,000 Hz. 110 db is all I need, which would be about 120 db at 1 meter. The speaker should keep signal off the floor and ceilings above 300 HZ. I don't mind a fairly large foot print as long as it is shallow. 20" or less. The HF should be emitted at ear height unless you use a line array. See if you can approve on a JBL M2 as a start.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    rxonmymind and stevo137 like this.
  2. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

I'd make it a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green.....

3. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

:rflmao:

4. drumbum

drumbum Well-Known Member

I was thinking along the line of nano-fiber solid piston, magnet-less, with lab grown hummingbird muscle, fired with pico volts.

5. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

I've already used the appropriate emoticon.:D

To the OP:
    How do you intend driving anything without magnets. Unless you invent a whole new mechanism your only option for a speaker with no magnets is electrostatic.

6. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

All I can say is I've been fantastically good at blowing my own money without much success, but I've found that I'm good with just about every tool known to man, and in the process own most short of a cnc, 3 axis mill. If you need a guy in R&D to bang thumbs with a hammer, sand till his hands bleed, install countless splinters in every place, enjoy the occasional almost cut your thumb off with a knife, staple in the knee, glue your fingers together.....I'm your guy :D.

I'll keep the shop clean too ! Seriously I wish you the best !

stevo137 likes this.
  7. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

8. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

Such exists when you employ 2.5 micron diaphragms whose total mass weighs less than the air around them.

Fortunately, for coherence fans like me that is not the case.

Sound Lab U-1PX electrostat

If you need high output levels, there are nine foot tall versions that can be arrayed either horizontally or vertically since they exhibit controlled directivity. How about a double pair of 922s (nine feet tall, 22 degree radiation angle) driven by more than a kilowatt? :)

[​IMG]

rxonmymind and doctorolds like this.
  9. butcherblock

butcherblock AK Subscriber Subscriber

Turtle eggs Bro... Turtle eggs...

10. butcherblock

I like the sarcasm it lightens the mood. On the other hand I am dead serious when it comes to developing a new driver. I understand the difficulties involved and I am absolutely willing to accept them. I am not trying to revolutionize the wheel. I am a bit too young to have driven that buggy. I am designing a new design, but not technology... ESL is already developed, I am most likely going to use magnets and incorporate a voice coil of some sorts, whether it is traditional or a new design.

The objective of this thread was getting as many perspectives as to if I was to manufacture a speaker system with off the shelf components, what would be the gap in todays readily available manufactured systems. Too many tiny tinny speakers on the market. I want to bring back big and bold, full range top to bottom systems that I have seen die in my lifetime to fund my project and satisfy the audiophile of today. what would be the most desired configuration. I hope that clears up some misconceptions...

11. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

I appreciate your earnestness and in no way want to diminish your enthusiasm. Understand that your lightly-gated set of parameters gets you a wide-ranging set of responses. Many of them, usually mine, pulled right from butts and subjective. How you would reign that in to something actionable will be quite a feat -

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.
  12. butcherblock

Exactly, hahahaha... just don't lose the spool...

13. MJB1959

MJB1959 Well-Known Member

A couple questions for Joe. Can you describe some info on your design, and why is this particular Pioneer CS99 is such an attractive option? And also, large speakers are still being produced today, some of histories largest in fact. Not sure what all you have seen. By now speaker design has achieved near perfection in most aspects, at some point we are at the point of diminishing returns where price versus practicality are growing further apart.
    As for what mode, stereo seems to still be a valid format to start with, if you can achieve the results in that format you can expand the line.
    One thing that seems to be a constant in hifi, you want a speaker that doesn't get fatiguing to listen to for long periods. That seems to be the ultimate compliment for a speaker, to not tire of listening.

I'd be interested in seeing some drafts of your ideas if possible.
    I do like the pyramid design, only if they were on a fully rotating turntable to create maximum surround sound.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  14. jazzmans

jazzmans Super Member

Oooh, I'll be that sounds fine!

15. bshorey

bshorey AK Subscriber Subscriber

I believe that there is a market for miniature versions of classic speakers. Think Bose 901 with 1" drivers, Ohm F 6"-8" tall, etc. Market them to executives as desktop computer speakers, none of those guys want plastic Altec computer speakers on their desks. Many of them probably lusted after, or owned, some of those speakers when they were younger, and gave them up due to space limitations, home theater, or whatever.

bs

Aptone and soundmotor like this.
  16. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

upload_2017-8-14_18-36-54.png

[​IMG]

17. Nat

Nat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Don't assume I'm just being negative, since I have a good deal of sympathy with your desire to make something new and original, but my difficulty in giving away stereo systems to non audiophiles who appear sincere in thinking that a 40 dollar pair of plastic box computer speakers is as good as it gets (better than the free ear buds that came with the source of choice), and don't see the point in hearing anything else, suggests that unless you are happy to loose a lot of money, don't do this with the expectation of going into production and actually making a profit.
    The readiest markets for audio appear to be the absurdly wealthy (for whom showy opulence appears to be the ideal (at least based on looking at ads by companies that stay in business making things that cannot sound better than much more mundane products)), and the previously converted, like AKers. The problem with the previously converted market is that they already have equipment and usually know how much good used stuff there is out there at much lower cost than your product. It is true that the 100 to say 500 dollar speaker market seems to keep ticking on, but recognize just how much competition there is out there, how good much of it is, and how low the profit margins are.
    Certainly there may be radical new discoveries out there, but there have been a lot of very smart speaker designers out there, many of whom grew up before the 50s and 60s, when recorded music became the norm, rather than live performance (either acoustic or electrical), and so knew what instruments and the human voice actually sounded like, so they knew what a 'perfect' loudspeaker should sound like. And even a short study of the history of the audio industry will show how old most 'new' ideas actually are -- the moving coil loudspeaker is actually later than the electrostatic and ionovac. And it is obvious that the ancients had a fairly good idea of how to achieve most of the modern alignments, even if they did it by feel rather than theory and mathematical parameters -- given the limited amplifier power available and small markets, they didn't bother, for the most part.
    I can highly recommend all of Gilbert Brigg's books on speakers and audio as a source of information and inspiration. In addition to founding Wharfedale, and designing some (still) outstanding speakers, he was a remarkably successful missionary for HiFi, and a clear, witty, and well informed guide to the basics of audio reproduction.
    Ken Kantor's posts here are another source of practical and knowledgeable information on what is actually involved in making it in the very difficult field of audio.

18. vinyl fiend

vinyl fiend Active Member

P. Klipsch has written many whitepapers, some of which can be viewed on the website. Also, he referenced some of the older studies in sound reproduction etc.

19. greatoldone

greatoldone New Member

There is nothing new under the sun! It has already been done by someone else - just not YOU! The BEST speaker for experiencing audio bliss: the Original Quad ESL. Peter Walker got it right back in 1955!

20. AudioGMan

AudioGMan New Member

I've studied(as a hobby) loudspeaker design for the past 30 years so first I suggest you read 30 years worth of books and magazines to grasp the science of acoustics and how the human ear works. You also need to study physics, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering. Then you need a full fledged machine shop with CNC mills and lathes, stamping machines, casting machines, injection molding machines, oh and you also need the molds. After you build your driver you will need an anechoic chamber and measuring equipment to test the parameters, frequency response, sensitivity, etc. There's a reason why only a handful of speaker companies actually build their own drivers.