If I would sell what is it worth on the site.

cudaken

:dunno:

I keep thinking tubes and Ed's horn's speaker's in the back of my mind. Looking for geat sound stage, high's that float by on clouds, detail, tight base and 95 dB + in a large room.

Now this is just miss spelling out loud, but if I sold all my stuff could I go tube?

Been warned that SS and tube do not play well together. Tube mono block's that I might be able to afford will not power my DQ 10's. Ed's horn speaker's will sound bad with my SS stuff. What is a wanted too be Audiophile to do :scratch2:

Here is a list of what I might sell. If I do sell, must be a package deal. Don't want to sell the speakers and have nothing to listen to, same with amp's etc. Like I said, thinking out loud. But if it might bring what would need to make the jump I might.

Dahlquist DQ 10's bought new and just reconed woofer's

KEF Q75.2's speakers

Adcom GFP-1A Reamp

Adcom GFP-1 Preamp

Adcom GFA-555's ran mono blocked

Sharp System Digital 7700 CD power amp, 150 watt's a side 8 ohms

Adcom GCD-575 CD player

Adcom GFS-6 Speaker Selector

Harman/Kardon EQ8

Kenwood KT-57 Tuner

Audibone gold plate jumbers and monster cables

Just wonder what I could get for it. Have some other stuff I would need to go look at to list.

Bottel Head Preamp amp Apx $300.00
Bottel Head Mono Block's APX $600.00
ED the Horn Speakers APX $750.00

Cuda Ken

Chances of you finding a buyer for all of that at once is pretty much slim and none.

Why do you want to switch? Hear some horns and like them better?

I'd advise something I learned the hard way a while back buying furniture; take your time.

What sounds great at first may wear thin after a while.

How would a tube preamp sound with the SS power amps? I've heard some like it that way.

Andyman, it was grumpy that stated he did not like tube and SS with each other. I also wish I could hear Ed's Horns, when I joined one member told me that Bottle Head and ED's horns was the way to. I did find a local Audiopihe shop that would bring the stuff to the house to audition. Sells Maggies and makes his own tube preamp's. But $2000.00 for speakers or a preamp is out of my range unless I sell stuff.

I have asked about the Demo Room but yet to get a answer. OZ has a AUDCOM (got me all worked up thought it was ADCOM) Tube preamp I could afford. Has the audition thing been set up?

Grumpy, where you grumpy with the last post? Like I think someone would want all I listed. :naughty: Just trying to get a feel for what I could sell the stuff for.

What I have sound's great, but sill looking for better. Reason I started the Maggie question.

Cuda Ken

Well Ken, it really isn't important what Grumpy likes, it's important what YOU like. And that's not a slam on Grumpy either. everyone hears differenat and has different tastes.

I'm pretty sure Russman likes the tube preamps with SS muscle, and I don't think he's alone.

I just think you prolly want to do some long term listening before you go and sel all your stuff chasing some Holy Grail. Find someone with a system like what you aspire to and go visit them for a listen, and be a gracious guest.

I bought my La Scalas with the intention of cleaning them up and flipping them, but after lots of listening to them in my acoustically perfect garage ( :lmao: ), I decided I liked them better than my JBL 4311s, which I thought were tops. They don't seem to rock out as well, but on jazz and acoustic music they just seem so right there. Now I'm gonna get some tube power for them and see how that goes. There's almost no downside for me as I sell enough stuff online that I'm almost assured I can break even on the deal.

Bottom line: Get what turns YOU on, but do your homework first :yes:

No I was not trying be sarcastic. I misunderstood your post and thought you were trying to guage if selling your system as a whole was the way to go.

Yes I do not like to mix SS amps with Tube pres but thats not to say you wont. The only one who can make that decision is you. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Man, you gotta listen for yourself to decide! I already posted the way my choices in components have evolved since owning DQ-10's but so what? Just in this one thread opinions have run from SS, SS+tubes, tubes, EQ, different flavors of speakers, etc..opinions are like a-holes, everybody's got one and all that...

My advice for what it's worth - start by putting where you live in your profile (why do some have such a problem with this??) and you will probably get some suggestions from the membership on where you can hear the different flavors you are considering. You may even find some very friendly types here who would gladly have you over to listen to their chosen path (I've done this on several occasions).

After you decide where YOU want to go by listening (and as mikebake alluded to, you REALLY should listen to something like 'Ed's The Horn' before buying!), work out a plan to evolve your system over time. I used to use DQ-10's in my main system and I took many years of buying and selling to get to where I am now.

This should be a fun trip, decide what YOU like and take your time. There are no 'hard rules' and what you like will even change along the way, just let your ears and personal preference be your guide.

Hay Cuda. I'd trade you a wife for all your equipment, and even bring her down when I came to pick Ouch she saw this !

Billfort be happy to list where I live in my profile but to dumb to do it. I live in Maryville IL 14 miles from St Louis MO. Number is 618-343-1810 in the garage. Want my SS number as well :yes: Bill the hard part is makeing the plan. Just like Cars. Ask 4 driffrent people how to make 500 HP from a Mopar 440 you will have 4 driffrent cam's, head's, intake, carb's, and header's name's and part numbers.

Like you said, when I first got started in Mopars (was 12), I read, and read and read! Then I went to the Drag Stripe (16) and learned even more. Then I took both and went raceing (23) and kicked belly button butt. (belly button is slang for Chevy)

Matt from the site that is only 3 miles from me came over the other night and audition my stuff. Pointed out what he did like and did not like. Over all he did like :thmbsp: Will do the same with his, but from what he said his gear is in the early state of Audiophile set up. But what the heck, learned from people that had less in there engines than I have in one I bulit.

Mikebake, yes they are the Horn's I want to try. Ed said the better one would take 200 hours to break in. I read the same reveiw that you posted as well. in many way's sound like my DQ 10's. But the 8 watt's max and 100 dB made me think. After the E-mail it really sat me back. Room is big, Horn's in the right spot would be 25 feet from me. That is pretty far for 100 dB. Other part is the 8 watts's. If I burp while turing up the volume I will blow the driver 20 feet at 600 watt's a side. Hee, Hee, Hee, that would be cool, Hee, Hee, Hee.

God, think the wave radio might be the way to go? NOT :lmao:

Anyone with in 40 miles of Maryville IL besides Matt?

Cuda Ken

cudaken said:
Mikebake, yes they are the Horn's I want to try. Ed said the better one would take 200 hours to break in. I read the same reveiw that you posted as well. in many way's sound like my DQ 10's. But the 8 watt's max and 100 dB made me think. After the E-mail it really sat me back. Room is big, Horn's in the right spot would be 25 feet from me. That is pretty far for 100 dB. Other part is the 8 watts's. If I burp while turing up the volume I will blow the driver 20 feet at 600 watt's a side. Hee, Hee, Hee, that would be cool, Hee, Hee, Hee.
Cuda Ken
Dude, now you are getting it. You're a big block guy, Eds horns are 3 cylinder speakers..........................Ed is a nice guy, and his speakers DO have a place, and in that place can sound good................I'm pretty sure that aren't for you......they aren't likely to come close to doing what you have said you want in a speaker.....................keep looking.....................

Last edited:
Well after hearing first hand the Adcom/DQ-10 setup, I gotta say I wouldn't change a thing. The soundstage is there, the bass is just right, and the mids/highs are not over exagerated. It's the closest I've heard to having the band in your garage. You even told me you love it. What more could you ask for? I think it's a question of "the grass is always greener". Yes, you could sell your beloved DQ-10's and Adcoms and get other stuff but what will that buy you? Six months? A year? Then you want more or something different. It's a sick cycle ain't it?

There's nothing wrong with auditioning new stuff, just make sure you're happy and sure before you sell your beloved gear......then give it to me. :thmbsp:

There is truth in crotalus' reply, but you might still be seeking something with more dynamics/impact for your large room............

8 watts with 100db efficiency will go far. I have Edgarhorns at 103db/watt and 1.8 watts/chnl and don't suffer any.
Ron

spkrman57 said:
8 watts with 100db efficiency will go far. I have Edgarhorns at 103db/watt and 1.8 watts/chnl and don't suffer any.
Ron
No, Ron, he is talking about 8 watts and 100db max output, not 100db sensitivity.

Crotalus (Matt) thank you for being kind to my humble system. You are right it is a sickness. By the way I did burn the CD you left and made you a copy of Acoustic Alchemy as well. Hope you you did not think I was speaking ill of your system either well.

You are right about one thing, the hunt is the thrill for me and a speed junkie also. When I built the Blowen 440 I had to rethink what I thought I knew about HP engines. Same thing with the stereo. I used to think my Road Runner was fast with 335 HP, then the 426 with 425 HP, them the 426 Maxie Wedge 625 HP (that is SS and Tube) blowen 440? Tube class A mono blocks and preamp.

Let me know when you want to try some of my gear in your room as well. Got some glue for dust cap's as well. :thmbsp: Bought some CD from Slackers as well that you might like.

Mikebake, just like the car stuff I listed above, not sure what I want till I have it. When you get what you think you want, then you know you want better.

Hope I hear something from the Demo Room tonight. There is a tube preamp listed I could afford.

Cuda Qest Ken.
Hum, I have a extra NOS 150 HP Plate 10 pound bottle now if I can get it to hook up to the Din plug? :banana:

Yer gots a case 'o tube-itis. I'm not a big tube fan either.........they're mostly alotta hype in my eyes.............

Till I have tube Mike I do not know if I would like it either. Think I will work more with placement of speakers and room treatment before I sell what I have.

Time to fine tune what I have. Next posting will be about getting the most from what I have.

Cuda Ken

Back
Top Bottom