If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

sj.brodie

I won a 26 year old NAD amp on ebay which appears to be in great condition. My question is, although it's fully functional, is it likely that the components (and consequently the sound) could still be compromised by age/neglect? Could improvements be significant enough to justify restoration costs (ie re soldering or replacing caps, electrolytics etc)...or should I be satisfied with a functioning amp showing no obvious signs of deterioration or damage? Does "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" apply to vintage amps or is periodical work required to help the amp perform optimally? The model is NAD 3020i.

Looking at online photos, I see about 30 electrolytic caps in that unit. I'd bet money they're not all bad. I wouldn't bet money they're all good, though a few lucky souls might win that bet. A once-over on the test bench is never a bad idea.

Looking at online photos, I see about 30 electrolytic caps in that unit. I'd bet money they're not all bad. I wouldn't bet money they're all good, though a few lucky souls might win that bet. A once-over on the test bench is never a bad idea.
appreciate you taking the time to look at that

NAD isn't exactly known for reliability in the best circumstances.

I'd recap. Check the board for bad traces / cold solder joints while you're at it.

My main problem is I have no repair experience

Do you have soldering experience? I wouldn't recommend it without it.
If not, go to ebay and/or craigslist and find a local 5$-10$ receiver that you can practice on. That will help you in finding components and matching them up with the solder points on the other side too.

If you had the ability, I'd say go for it. Since you have no repair experience, I'd enjoy it "as is". Then again, if you have a friend who has the ability, and would love to do you a favor.

I recently picked up a 45 year old Pioneer (SX1010) that I am enjoying "as is". I have the ability to recap it, but don't have the time. Maybe when I retire. Nah, I'll be too busy fishing.

If you had the ability, I'd say go for it. Since you have no repair experience, I'd enjoy it "as is". Then again, if you have a friend who has the ability, and would love to do you a favor.

I recently picked up a 45 year old Pioneer (SX1010) that I am enjoying "as is". I have the ability to recap it, but don't have the time. Maybe when I retire. Nah, I'll be too busy fishing.
Looking at your pioneer for example, assuming it plays fine and balanced without any gross disturbance would you still consider restoring it critical in improving performance?

Looking at your pioneer for example, assuming it plays fine and balanced without any gross disturbance would you still consider restoring it critical in improving performance?
For most Pioneer 1010's I'd say yes, it would be critical as the power supply usually has at least some evidence of heat damage. This particular unit however has absolutely none. I don't think mama let him use it much. Or at least not very loud. When I bought it were were in the garage (where he had it set up) discussing the quality of the build and sound. Mama came through the door, looked at me and said, "DON'T SELL IT BACK TO HIM". o_O

I'm sure it would benefit from a recap. How much I don't know. It replaced a SX-850 that I did a full recap on several years ago. The untouched 1010 blew the socks off the recapped 850 so I'm already better off than I was. It's used in the garage with mediocre speakers so I'm not that concerned about it. I did find out yesterday that I do need a better CD player out there. Just for grins, I hooked up my office player and DAC to it and found out that the mediocre speakers are at least a notch or two better than I thought they were.

The rabbit hole for better sound is long, deep and can get expensive. The question is, how much are you willing to spend (time/money) to get that extra notch or two? And, would the money be better spent on other components? DAC's, speakers, etc.
My Sansui AU-919 sounded good, until I got better speakers. Now it sounds GREAT!

Until you notice a deficiency, let it be.

I'm not as hard a core enthusiast as others but I like to tinker. I was on the wholesale capacitor replacement bandwagon for while and actually did so to a couple of NAD 3020's. My thoughts were to make them better than new but it made no difference that I could notice. It didn't hurt, but there was no improvement. The biggest benefit was when it came to sell them, I could say that they had all new capacitors installed. But time spent receives no compensation.

Until you notice a deficiency, let it be.

I'm not as hard a core enthusiast as others but I like to tinker. I was on the wholesale capacitor replacement bandwagon for while and actually did so to a couple of NAD 3020's. My thoughts were to make them better than new but it made no difference that I could notice. It didn't hurt, but there was no improvement. The biggest benefit was when it came to sell them, I could say that they had all new capacitors installed. But time spent receives no compensation.

I may have been listening with an overly critical ear. Anything beyond resoldering bad joints may not be feasible so think I'll let it be (how much can resoldering achieve sonically anyway?) I'm still interested to hear about your replacement work especially on the NADs. I'd be lost when it comes to replacing parts and unaware of services that are available in my area. There will probably come a time when I'll need to learn some restoration skills as I like buying old gear.

Did your replacement caps include the 30+ electrolytic caps previously mentioned? Unfortunately, I'm ignorant when it comes to the anatomy of an amp. Really appreciate all the responses!

Last edited:
The rabbit hole for better sound is long, deep and can get expensive. The question is, how much are you willing to spend (time/money) to get that extra notch or two? And, would the money be better spent on other components? DAC's, speakers, etc.
My Sansui AU-919 sounded good, until I got better speakers. Now it sounds GREAT!

This is an interesting point. As much as I like my mission bookshelfs, I have considered upgrading to room filling floorstanders. I feel an audition coming on...

Recapping is serious fun, with a solder sucker, If you can get the board out easily . Soldering is basic and it doesn't have to be perfect it sticks to the traces. When you throw those old caps in the bathroom trash and fire it up, you won't believe you ever considered leaving it be.

This is an interesting point. As much as I like my mission bookshelfs, I have considered upgrading to room filling floorstanders. I feel an audition coming on...
With only 20W to push them with, they'd need to be very efficient.

What is your main source for music? Streaming? CD's? Records? My main source is CD's, and a little streaming. Even with my Sansui, a good player and a very good set of bookshelves, I got a huge improvement in SQ by adding a DAC. I have a Schiit but have read very good things about the topping D30 (at less than half what I paid for the Schiit). https://www.parts-express.com/topping-d30-multi-function-s-pdif-and-usb-dac--310-340 They have an excellent return policy if you don't like it.

What is your main source for music? Streaming? CD's? Records?

All three actually and I have a Cambridge dacmagic 100. I'm satisfied with my system. My question was more concerned with extending the life of a vintage amp which I really enjoy. I have a mid range sony bluray player connected to my DAC. Watching movies and netflix in PCM is good enough for me, I'm not a home cinema guy, more into music. The Sony of course acts as CD transport. Both cambridge DACs and NAD amps are known for their warmth so I'm hearing my music with a refreshing punch and depth (less on the detailed side which I don't mind)

I arrived at the DAC inadvertently when I attempted upgrading my old cambridge entry level CD player to a Pioneer CD player, expecting good results. The Pioneer was more revealing and detailed yet sterile to my ears compared to my old (and cheaper) cambridge. The cambridge DAC was my next, much smarter purchase. The lacking "darkness" was restored and I had more digital sources all for a better price. It's funny, I used to think detail and clarity was my goal in a system however the lower sound signature gear I have continues to please me. What does a Schiit DAC offer generally? I'd like to experiment with the D30 you shared. I paid similar for my DAC.

I have a pro ject debut carbon turntable with goldring cart. Besides the DACs mentioned, another comparison I would love to make would be the NAD 3020's phono stage vs any other phono stage old or new, internal or external at around the same price! I regularly record LP rips to my laptop with stunning results. Really nice range and hum/static is virtually non existant.

Did your replacement caps include the 30+ electrolytic caps previously mentioned?[/QUOTE said:
Those NAD amps are not difficult to work on in that things are relatively accessible and there is not an overabundance of parts.

To answer your question, yes I replaced every electrolytic but probably wasted my money on new main filter caps. I went through a similar exercise later with some low wattage power amps with only 17 caps per amp in their case. The first one got new filter caps even though the originals were good but it was such a pain in the butt adapting new ones to fit that those in the other amps were left alone. Plus new ones were about $25 per pair. The smaller caps cost maybe $10 all together and took a few hours work to put in so I went ahead with that.

Some advice given to me when I embarked on re-capping an APT Holman pre-amp, was don't waste money on anything other than general purpose capacitors. That bit of wisdom came from someone with the APT Corporation while that pre-amp was in production. No benefit at all to installing a $1.50 capacitor when a 35 cent one will do.

Since I could notice no difference in sound, radical or otherwise, I no longer jump right into cap replacement unless something's wrong at the get go.

But, the process does have sort of a Zen like quality. Similar to knitting I think.

If new caps are on your agenda, don't underestimate the time needed to properly unsolder the old components on the board. Lifting traces is no fun and correcting boo-boos with jumpers can be unsuccessfully messy.

Having learned that what is printed on a parts list or schematic, may not be what you get on a board (especially with NAD), my habit became examining one by one, each item slated for removal then write down the numbers that are on it. Once I've done that, I put a felt pen dot on that part to tell me it's been recorded. That also helps when installing new parts. See a dot, it gets pulled - no dot, already replaced.

There is a side benefit in doing this to a NAD device. You will get to see close up and personal the failed or about to fail old NAD solder connections that they're famous for.

If you proceed, it would not hurt to document your work on paper. If the amp passes to a new owner, they'll have a record of what old component got replaced and with what new one. Chances are that you will be substituting capacitors with a higher voltage rating that what it replaces. That info might be useful to someone down the road who winds up with your amp.

Back
Top Bottom