If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

It's interesting how everyone's preferences, and hearing, is a little different. I like the Schiit (the only DAC I've used) because it adds detail and clarity. I can hear lower frequencies just fine (at least 20Hz and probably lower). Things start dropping off at 3KHz and is completely gone by 9KHz (where my tinnitus takes over). The Schiit sharpens things up so that I can better hear those upper frequencies.

I too would love to experiment with different equipment. In the "old days" (60's & 70's) we would swap records back and forth, discover a new group we liked and then buy the album. Too bad there aren't more of us around (and local) that we could do the same with equipment.

I've bought a few things here and there (speakers, new and used, amps, etc.) only to get them set up in my listening area and discover that I didn't like them. (The Sansui and SX-1010 being the exceptions.) One of these days I'm going to sell them on BT.

I had a Technics SL1200 Mk5 for several years. Finally sold it a while back because I rarely used it. (That lack of time thing again.)

I've bought a few things here and there (speakers, new and used, amps, etc.) only to get them set up in my listening area and discover that I didn't like them. (The Sansui and SX-1010 being the exceptions.) One of these days I'm going to sell them on BT.

(That lack of time thing again.)

I've never heard a bad thing about Sansui. Seems to be almost unrivalled for reliability and build. I'd probably buy one if the price was right but at the same time gear of that age could become problematic for a tech novice like me. I guess the next logical step from my 26 year old NAD would be a newer and much more expensive amp.

I've never heard a bad thing about Sansui. Seems to be almost unrivalled for reliability and build. I'd probably buy one if the price was right but at the same time gear of that age could become problematic for a tech novice like me. I guess the next logical step from my 26 year old NAD would be a newer and much more expensive amp.
If you become a subscriber (upper right corner in the home page), for $25.00 per year you will have access to BT (Barter Town) where members buy, sell and trade equpment (among other things). Some newer, some vintage. Often, the vintage equipment has been rebuilt and/or recapped.

Many of us like vintage not only because it sounds good, but because it can (usually) be repaired by any qualified tech (including home grown). Much of the newer stuff can't be.

Even though I "can" do some basic electronics work, I've taken things to a local tech for repair simply because he can find and fix it much quicker than I could. And my time is better spent doing other things.

As to your NAD, if it works good now and you're happy with it, why not just keep it til it dies. Could be several years. On the other hand, that rabbit hole is inviting. ;)

If you become a subscriber (upper right corner in the home page), for $25.00 per year you will have access to BT (Barter Town) where members buy, sell and trade equpment (among other things). Some newer, some vintage. Often, the vintage equipment has been rebuilt and/or recapped.

As to your NAD, if it works good now and you're happy with it, why not just keep it til it dies. Could be several years. On the other hand, that rabbit hole is inviting. ;)

I'm now set on putting my feet up and enjoying the NAD for quite some time, I'll also consider subscribing. Many thanks for the insight Rick and also to everyone else :thumbsup:

I won a 26 year old NAD amp on ebay which appears to be in great condition. My question is, although it's fully functional, is it likely that the components (and consequently the sound) could still be compromised by age/neglect? Could improvements be significant enough to justify restoration costs (ie re soldering or replacing caps, electrolytics etc)...or should I be satisfied with a functioning amp showing no obvious signs of deterioration or damage? Does "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" apply to vintage amps or is periodical work required to help the amp perform optimally? The model is NAD 3020i.

I am whole hardily in your camp. Enjoy it till you don't.

My philosophy on restoring.

Play it for a while until you decide how much you like it. The inputs, the controls, the looks, all play a factor in our enjoyment of this hobby. Give yourself time to find out how much you like it. I got into reselling audio gear because it helped me pay for a restoration. And I got to try out different gear and keep what I like best. After I’ve used it for a while and decided it’s a keeper, that is when I look at a full restoration. And then I want it optimized at the same time. If you came up with this design now, what components would you use? Where it makes sense to modify, do it. I had a pair of speaker protection circuits put into my Bose 1801 because it has no built in speaker protection by default. They need it.

All my keeper amps and pre’s have been restored. More than half of them were optimized as well.

to fix something that isnt really broken takes a certain skill set to not break it along the way . thats how i learned to fix things by breaking it first . :D

This is kinda how I feel about threads like this.
Yes, it could probably use a freshen up. Yes, there's a good chance you'll kill it trying to do it yourself. No, it's likely not worth taking to a tech for a full restore.
Just enjoy it while it works and if it dies you can make a decision about what to do at that point.

I have fun fixing this stuff but I'd be lying if I said I didn't break a bunch on the way to being (somewhat) competent. Hell, I work on $100k+ cars all day long at work and occasionally break stuff there as well.

Don't be like the federal government , taking something that ain't broke & fix it until it is.
I have some fisher tube gear, 2 500c's, an x-101-d that is stock & working, as well as a number of s/s gear, inc.a marantz 1060 amp.. when they croak, time to get into it. Started upgrades on one of the 500c's, but work & life put it off for now.
Due to your lack of experience & tech prowess, I'd leave it unmolested & just use & enjoy it. You may not need to mess with it for a long time.
But that's just me..
:music:

Halfway house time again?
Restore or not to restore - That is the question.
If you restore something, you are taking it back to original construction and performance. You are not upgrading it. If you think that it's performance has degraded over time, what exactly are you going to replace? We hear so much about re-capping, as though that is some kind of universal panacea, but that's only part of it.
It's entirely up to you as to how far you want to go with older equipment. You said that you have a piece of kit that is in excellent condition. Why not enjoy it as it is, have a good listen to it and then have a long hard think before making a decision as to how you want to proceed.

Really surprises me how many here haven't seem to have heard of preventive maintenance. It's a proven fact that the electrolytic fluid dries out.
Changing out caps isn't any different than changing the oil in your car. Do you not change your oil because it hasn't caked up yet?

My approach is to leave as is and enjoy it — and try not to let the worry that it might blow up any minute reduce my enjoyment.

That's my local Tech thinking but mine has changed when it comes to my amps and preamps-had them recapped which will last me the rest of my life and got er dun before I retire which is also a plus. With receivers I just have my Tech go through and make sure everything is set to factory specs and any repairs or replacements needed.

Really surprises me how many here haven't seem to have heard of preventive maintenance. It's a proven fact that the electrolytic fluid dries out.
Changing out caps isn't any different than changing the oil in your car. Do you not change your oil because it hasn't caked up yet?

What would the result of this drying out of fluid be on the performance? I'm still leaning towards using "as is" for two reasons. Restoring is a hassle for me (I would likely damage it and not sure where to look for tech people) and the NAD is way better than the entry level I upgraded from. Sonic improvements no matter how subtle is what matters to me most so the NAD is still very satisfying compared to my old amp. However I do borderline obsess about optimal performance from my system. If I decide I really want the work done, I guess I'll learn to do it myself. In the event of a screw up, at least I would have learned a few things about one of my hobbies (and there are much more expensive amps out there waiting to be screwed up) The engineering and how an amp's components "communicate" with each other and perform their functions is a mystery to be uncovered.

Last edited:
Have read on AK wherein some who upgraded the caps didn't like the new sound. I guess they had been accustomed to the previous offerings.

Your call... as already mentioned.

Q

Last edited:
Run it.

26 years is past guaranteed cap performance life but that means they may not be performing to spec.

36 years? 50/50. a recap isn't dumb but is it worth it?

46 years? A recap would certainly make it work better.

A failed cap is not a Chernobyl event. Usually the sound gets lousy and/or you get random pops.
You may lose sound but it won't burn up or catch on fire or throw pieces and parts around.

I guess 90% of 70s vintage (40+ years old) is being used with factory caps and pleasing owners.
They probably don't sound as good as they could, but they work.

Back
Top Bottom