If it's Not Too Loud, You're Not Old Enough

GordonW

Speakerfixer
Subscriber
Whee!

Just got through a little "thrash session" with the old tube system here at work. Had Ronnie Earl/Pinetop Perkins/Willie 'Big Eyes' Smith/Calvin 'Fuzz' Jones cranked up to the precipice... just about as loud as it could go without clipping.

Man. For 12w/ch, it's pretty darn ferocious.

Here's the system as it was hooked up:

-Marantz CD-67SE CD player
-VTL "Ultimate" Dual-mono Tube Preamp
-Magnavox AMP185 12w/ch Tube Amp
-JBL cabinet/Goodmans 12" /EV tweeter & X-over Vintage speakers (the ones I've mentioned before)

I had the floor vibratin', all the funiture shakin' and my toe tappin'.

Wonderful to be able to just JAM this old gear this way. Who says you need megawatts to get LOUD and CLEAR?

Regards,
Gordon.

Ain't they a beautiful thing??
I was just sitting here listening to some Nickel Creek and enjoying the glow, but I just had to see what's new here also. Bob

I find the same to be true when using my tube amps versus my HK Citation 19's in bridged mode. The HK's will pump out 200watts rms the tubes only about 40watts rms maybe not even that much. In listening to both with my Klipsch RF3II's the tubes achieve a more satisfying level with much more detail and clarity :thmbsp: . I wouldn't call myself old either.

I can't understand you well...wait a minute. Let me turn that Circle of Sound down. The microbes are getting drunk and phased in the kitchen to Billy Joel. I wish the alarm was worth a tinker's damn... :D

Back
Top Bottom