If not Armor All then........ what ?

I have noticed for older cars that were not taken care of properly where the dash got hard that using anything with a solvent base causes the dash to become dull and even crumble.

I never liked that greasy appearance to everything when Armor All was applied, especially if you got it on clear plastic. What's worse is that used car dealers use something that is even greasier, and designed to hide defects in what you are buying. Get that shiny interior home and within a month, all the scuffs and scratches start appearing.

I've used some "detailer" spray from Maguire's and it works fine for interior cleanup. Leaves no residue. I'm not interested in shiny tires. But, I once had a tire treatment that made them look clean for a week or so. Can't recall what it was, actually. Too much of a pain to keep reapplying it for limited effect.

I can't stand anything that makes interior materials shiny, especially the dash. The last thing I want are more apparent reflections in the windshield and side glass

Slightly damp rag to remove dust is all I use.

++ 303 Aerospace

++++ 303 Aerospace. Use it on my hot tub cover as well. Rick, I can give you a sample to try when you get the stuff you left at the gathering.
Regards,
Jim

I can't stand anything that makes interior materials shiny, especially the dash. The last thing I want are more apparent reflections in the windshield and side glass

Slightly damp rag to remove dust is all I use.
I'm with ya there. I have stock all original 67 Chevy Belair and the steering wheel has 3 chrome spokes. I hated the glare off of it so much I wrapped them in black electrical tape. I'm just not sure what I can do with all the chrome knobs on the dash like lights, wipers, ect. The flash with the sun at my back is blinding.

I've been using 303 for 20+ years with good results but in the last few years several manufacturers of whitewater rafts have stopped recommending it saying that it dries out the PVC. The only thing I've noticed is several old bottles (gallons and spray bottles) I've had had become brittle and broke when opened or picked up. I still use it, but not as frequently as I used to.

I'm with ya there. I have stock all original 67 Chevy Belair and the steering wheel has 3 chrome spokes. I hated the glare off of it so much I wrapped them in black electrical tape. I'm just not sure what I can do with all the chrome knobs on the dash like lights, wipers, ect. The flash with the sun at my back is blinding.
Get some good polarized sunglasses....

Back in the day I put it on my 69 Chevelle bucket seats. Not a good thing before the days of having to buckle up. I about ended up sitting on the passenger side if it weren't for the console. ;)

That reminds me of the time I drove my Uncle's Corvette around 1971 or so. The 'Vette was a mid-60's model with the most powerful engine available, maybe 425hp if I recall correctly. Anyway something, not sure what, had been used on the seats and they were slick. No one used seat belts back then, not sure if the car even had them. So it was a little scary going through a turn because there just wasn't much holding your butt in place...no friction between the jeans and the vinyl...and the small car/big motor combo is not a good place to be sliding around while your foot is on the gas pedal and hands on the wheel, lol

Last edited:
Thats one advantage to the velour seats in the Lincoln. Especially useful when the weak link in cornering is the seat itself. Sad that my car will out perform it's couches.

I glanced through the thread so this may have already been stated. I have always heard it's not using it that's bad, all the problems start when you stop. The materials become "addicted' to it and will deteriorate faster than non treated surfaces if you stop using it.

This was from a chemist buddy of mine, not sure if he is correct but not the first time i have heard that explanation.

I glanced through the thread so this may have already been stated. I have always heard it's not using it that's bad, all the problems start when you stop. The materials become "addicted' to it and will deteriorate faster than non treated surfaces if you stop using it.

This was from a chemist buddy of mine, not sure if he is correct but not the first time i have heard that explanation.

For probably more than 30 years, I have used Armour All Original Formula on my tires, and all the black plastic trim on my cars, as well as applying it to all the rubber seals (hood, trunk, doors, etc.) several times a year, it keeps them nice and flexible. Don`t like it on the dashboard though....

Back
Top Bottom