1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

If the Marianas Trench was Nuked.. speculation

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Harvestor, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Hmmm.... best not do it then...

Harvestor likes this.
  3. crazy-in-az

crazy-in-az All humans are vermin... Subscriber

I just realized the full title of the video is - "If You Detonated a Nuclear Bomb In The Marianas Trench (Just Fantasy, not science!)".

I remember reading about this some time ago, and the general consensus is that basically we'll end up with a slight bulge in the ocean above the trench that would dissipate in a few seconds, causing no tidal waves/tsunamis. Most scientists agree that there would be no volcanoes or earthquakes caused by the blast. The bubble caused by the explosion would expand about a kilometer, then collapse on itself, then expand and collapse a few more times before petering out completely. The sheer force of water at that depth will more or less contain the explosion and only the sea life in the immediate vicinity will be harmed.

Even the large amount of radioactive material released by the Tsar Bomba would easily be dissipated by the water. It wouldn't be pretty if you were in a boat right above the trench shortly after the explosion, but most of the earth comes out unscathed.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a22520649/nuclear-weapon-marianas-trench/

This article is somewhat humorous, but it makes a good point-

https://what-if.xkcd.com/15/

E.Man likes this.
  4. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

I want the seven minutes I wasted on this video back.

bluesky likes this.
  5. jcamero

jcamero GD, a band beyond description Subscriber

^^ I gave it 45 seconds.

bluesky likes this.
  6. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

Wolf! Wolf!!

(wait ... did you feel that?)

7. steerpike2

steerpike2 Super Member

In regard to natural releases of energy such as volcanos or earthquakes, nuclear weapons are small fry

8. Beatnik

Beatnik What's this ?

What if an asteroid hit the trench ?

9. Mr.Jim

Mr.Jim President of nothing Subscriber

This video could also be " what happens if you piss off Mr.Jim's wife"

10. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

In 1971 there was another what if we nuke this going on, this time in the Aleutian islands, directly on top of an active volcano chain and part of the ring of fire. A 5 megaton nuke was set off 6000 feet under Amchitka island. This was the largest underground test ever on US soil. Not being that long after the great 9.2 Alaska earthquake there was lots of doomdayers saying this could at worst crack the mantle and set off unheard of devastating quakes and title waves.

My electrician apprentice teacher worked on that project and actually had a hand in wiring that bomb up. Most everybody wanted off the island before they set it off but he volunteered to stay. Was a hell of a show i understand but other than some poor marine mammals washed up on the beach, nothing serious happened.IInterestingly enough the environment organization Greenpeace was born out of this test
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannikin

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  11. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

Closest I ever came to a nuclear blast was when I tried using a Chinese rectifier in my amp ...

[​IMG]

Bill Ferris and Pio1980 like this.

12. Cadillac Kid

Cadillac Kid Addicted Member

In your amp, yeah right.