If you could have any 80's or earlier turntable for free what would it be?

Top of my list would probably be the Sony Ps-X9, with the original xl-55 pro cartridge. May not be the prettiest turntable, but possibly the best sounding DD integrated turntable ever.
sonypsx9-1.jpg

@drtool chimed in my request, hands down my table of choice.

Thorens Reference.

View attachment 1351366

Three arms, one for the best high compliance cart, one with mass for a high end MC cart, and one for my mono LP's. pretty much covers the majority of my records other than the old 78's.

Well fine, if we are going to go that way. :cool:

Somebody give me a Goldmund Studio Reference please.

goldmund-reference.jpg

Cheers
Mister Pig

Oh, I dunno. Maybe a Nakamichi TX-1000?

nakamichi-tx-10002.jpg

Yup... :thumbsup:

Hands down the one I almost bought Thorens Reference.

@drtool chimed in my request, hands down my table of choice.

Thorens Reference.

Three arms, one for the best high compliance cart, one with mass for a high end MC cart, and one for my mono LP's. pretty much covers the majority of my records other than the old 78's.

IMG_1246t.jpg

Yup... :thumbsup:

I honestly think I'd enjoy a BIC 980. I had a 960 and should have kept it.

I had a 960, foolishly sold it too. Great, under the radar tables.

I already got one too, a Realistic Lab 400. I marvel at its build quality and its sound.

I passed on one for $125. Still kicking myself.

So many gorgeous tables in this thread, and PLUS ONE on that Commonwealth restoration. That's amazing!

I'd like to try a Linn LP12 all tricked out. It's a classic, handsome, and not overly technical looking deck.
If I had to take a turntable that's 30 or more years old, that's the one I'd likely choose, mostly because it's still in production and any needed parts or service is still available. Trouble is, I had a 1993 model LP12 that I had purchased new (replacing a 1985 model that I had also purchased new; the 1993 model, with the Cirkus upgrade that came out that year, was a better sounding turntable), and after nearly 20 years of faithful service, it was soon going to need new parts totaling around $1500 to make it like new and able to go another 20 years. Instead, I chose to let the dealer tune it up with new suspension parts and cartridge, and then sell it for me (along with the tech's full report on its condition, of course). My share of the sale was still more than enough to buy a Rega RP3, which, with no money out of pocket, has made me completely happy in my vinyl listening for several years, now, and, with my family history of male longevity, will likely last longer than I do.

OK, but do you want to keep the SME arm or go full Transcriptors and get one with a Vestigial?
It would be the Vestigal for me with a Sonus Blue. That was my choice in the mid 70s first on a Technics SL110 and later, an Ariston RD-11s.

Back
Top Bottom