If you could upgrade one of my components...

Erocka2000

...which would it be. Having just secured a new job, I'm finally ready to buy myself something nice. I'm just not sure what direction to go.

Some of my random ideas are:

DeVore Orangutan O/93s (kind of stretching the budget for these, even with the sale of the 3XLs)
Leben CS600
Leben RS-30Q with Auditorium 23 step-up
Acoustic Plan Phonomaster
Dynavector XX2 (not necessarily an upgrade, just a different flavor)
Oppo BDP-105
Auditorium 23 interconnects
Quad ESL 63s (this would be a turning point for my entire system. I've just always wanted a pair)

I'm curious to know what others think.

CS-600 or the Devore Orangutans. Or maybe...Harbeth SHL-5s. I just wasn't all that impressed with the 3xls when I heard them. I'm saying this with the idea that the Dynavector phono stage is pretty good, but I've never used it. I know the Juicy Music Tercel II in my system makes a huge difference, towards a big smile on my face. I also don't know how that Line Magnetic amp is, but I know my CS-300x is just the sweetest amp imaginable.

Either the Devore 0/93's or a Line Magnetic CD player. It's a big step up from what you have...in limited quantity. I might consider that as well as the Orangutan's. Also if you are not already running the A23 IC's and speaker cables in your setup, you owe it to yourself to hear the difference. I hate to say it but your list is full of goodies!

Last edited:
I have A23 speaker cables, and boy did they make a difference. I'd love to hear what the interconnects can do.

CS-600 or the Devore Orangutans. Or maybe...Harbeth SHL-5s. I just wasn't all that impressed with the 3xls when I heard them. I'm saying this with the idea that the Dynavector phono stage is pretty good, but I've never used it. I know the Juicy Music Tercel II in my system makes a huge difference, towards a big smile on my face. I also don't know how that Line Magnetic amp is, but I know my CS-300x is just the sweetest amp imaginable.

I think you should give the 3XLs another shot. If I remember correctly, the time you heard them was from your not so pleasant visit to In Living Stereo. To me,
They are amongst the best monitors I've heard. If you heard them another time, than I stand corrected. Though I would concede that the O/93s are on a whole other level.

And after my not so successful Harbeth Compact 7 purchase, I'd be a little cautious about the SHL-5s.

And I agree, the Leben amps seem to have some magic in them.

Yeah, it was from that time that In Living Stereo made me hate audio for an afternoon :). I understand the aversion to the Compact 7...mine didn't last long here, either. But if you like Devore I do think a larger speaker could really change things up, for the positive. I will try to hear the 3XLs again. I don't think there's a local Devore dealer, but I travel a bit.

The Leben CS-300x certainly has a magic to it...I was listening to it this afternoon for the first time in a long time, on this crappy little vintage Pioneer CS-51 mini monitors. And it still sucked me into the music. I didn't even think about the speakers and what they were doing wrong...and those speakers were horrible on my main rig. Some people like the 300 better than the 600 (and others go the other way) but the 600 is certainly more versatile.

I honestly think any of your options above except maybe the Oppo would really be something exciting. And I have nothing against Oppo, that's a nice player. That Leben phono stage was tempting me for awhile but I really like what I have now.

Have you guys heard the Orangutans? I ask because I have. The setup wasn't ideal but it was OK, but they didn't impress me. And I'm a low power / Hi sensitivity guy, so I expected to like them.
Again, setup is everything so I can't really comment.
The ones I heard were the 0/96

Lebens are great for sure. I wish I had time to check out the Orangutans the other day when I was at the local HiFi shop.

Have you guys heard the Orangutans? I ask because I have. The setup wasn't ideal but it was OK, but they didn't impress me. And I'm a low power / Hi sensitivity guy, so I expected to like them.
Again, setup is everything so I can't really comment.
The ones I heard were the 0/96

I have heard both the O/96 and O/93 on a number of occasions. They were always powered with Shindo components. To me, they were always impressive. What was the setup you heard them with?

Absolutely not. It's just where my research and experiences have led me. I'm open to all recommendations. Especially in the phono stage department. My EMT is proving very hard to find an ideal match.

Well don't know how much you are willing to spend, but the Orangutans aint cheap...so judging by that I would like to throw the Canton Reference 7.2 in the mix. Also, the Whest PS.30 R MM/MC, the Whest PS.30RDT Phonostage as well as the SE are all great stages....I have always been interested in the Whest Two Phonostage. Its too is on my short list.

It doesn't seem like the Cantons or any of the Whest stages have any dealers in the US. I suppose one prerequisite would be the ability to demo before buying. The only thing on my list that I would entertain purchasing without demo would be the Oppo (because of the relative affordability).

It doesn't seem like the Cantons or any of the Whest stages have any dealers in the US. I suppose one prerequisite would be the ability to demo before buying. The only thing on my list that I would entertain purchasing without demo would be the Oppo (because of the relative affordability).

Its hard to find Canton....but Whest is over at Needle doctor. And I agree with you to have the ability to listen before you purchase....But I would think Canton is available in NY.
You would be blown away by the bass these puppies put out. http://reference.canton.de/en/loudspeakers/hifi/reference-7.2-dc.htm

Last edited:
I have heard both the O/96 and O/93 on a number of occasions. They were always powered with Shindo components. To me, they were always impressive. What was the setup you heard them with?
OK, not surprised you heard them and like them, I've read good things about them.
I heard them with a 211 amp (single ended) and a decent TT front end. I wasn't familiar with the music and there were several people in the room milling about. And I was probably expecting too much. Put it all together and...
I've been planning to give them another listen soon.

Gorgeous for sure, though.

Either the Devore 0/93's or a Line Magnetic CD player. It's a big step up from what you have...in limited quantity. I might consider that as well as the Orangutan's. Also if you are not already running the A23 IC's and speaker cables in your setup, you owe it to yourself to hear the difference. I hate to say it but your list is full of goodies!

I tend to agree. The OP has some really nice gear, but the CD player appears to possibly be the weak link. A LM player in addition to the LM amp would be a nice match.

The 3XL by all accounts is a great speaker...but is very different than the Orangutan. So which speaker is more appropriate for the room?

Finally, what is the Sansui used for? Would you swap that out for a dedicated tuner?

As has been mentioned, your CDP is the weak link in your system. So that would probably make for the upgrade. There are at least 3 CDP's I know to be outstanding players.

The first would be the Electrocompaniet EMC 1 UP. Having had a good listen to the first model, the EMC 1 in a buds system, I can assure you the upgraded model is all that and more. http://www.electrocompaniet.com/

The second choice would be the BAT VK-D5. This is a tubed CDP and its a really good one. Outstanding build and sonics. http://www.balanced.com/

And the third would be the Vincent CD-S7. I did briefly take a listen to an earlier model. Its an outstanding player as well, but the word is, its based on the BAT VK-D5 with some twist to the design by Vincent such as making it a hybrid CDP as well as a few other changes inside and out....Of course the Vincent would retail for much less than the Electrocompanient and the BAT, but at $2500...designed in Germany and built in China, its on the same level as far as build and performance. http://www.vincent-tac.de/de/produkte-nach-linien/tubeline/cd-s7.html

Click on the BAT CDP as well as the Vincent links and look at the design of the face plates and notice the two slightly different designs of the face plate. Vincent put a tube where BAT has the counter...Vincent put the counter to the right and BAT moved the buttons to the right as Vincent moved the buttons to the bottom. I ran across this information of Vincent using BAT's design and modifing it inside and out in some over seas audio magazines... so basically the Vincent is a modified BAT at a cheaper price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom