If you could upgrade one of my components...

I tend to agree. The OP has some really nice gear, but the CD player appears to possibly be the weak link. A LM player in addition to the LM amp would be a nice match.

The 3XL by all accounts is a great speaker...but is very different than the Orangutan. So which speaker is more appropriate for the room?

Finally, what is the Sansui used for? Would you swap that out for a dedicated tuner?

You bring up a valid point regarding the speakers. I do have to take into account that my room may not exactly have the space that the Orangutan would necessitate. I'll have to have a chat with the dealer about that.

As for CD players, I generally listen to records, so upgrading the CD player is not super exciting to me. Though, perhaps the reason I don't listen to CDs is the player I have :scratch2: The Emotiva isn't that bad, though.

The Sansui I use very seldom as a tuner and in the summer months I use it to power my speakers, as the tubes make my apartment even more unbearably hot than it already is.

So maybe upgrade to an amp that you can use all-year round?

Tubes are worth owning though, if you like the sound (I do!). If the Sansui does a good job in the summer then it may be worth keeping.

I do agree with Erocka though, if you don't listen to many CDs then upgrading the CD player may not be the way to go. You may want to try borrowing a nice player from a retailer for a weekend to see if you dig the sound and will consequently begin to listen to more CDs. Or just pick up an Oppo 105 if that is the player you set your sights on. Oppo's tend to have good resale value (but be prepared to lose a few hundred bucks if you don't like it).

A great CD player makes all the difference in the world, but it still won't sound like vinyl. I appreciate the strengths of both formats. CDs can be very cheap nowadays, so if you like to listen to them that is a big plus. There is no shortage of music for you to buy.

You bring up a valid point regarding the speakers. I do have to take into account that my room may not exactly have the space that the Orangutan would necessitate. I'll have to have a chat with the dealer about that.

As for CD players, I generally listen to records, so upgrading the CD player is not super exciting to me. Though, perhaps the reason I don't listen to CDs is the player I have :scratch2: The Emotiva isn't that bad, though.

The Sansui I use very seldom as a tuner and in the summer months I use it to power my speakers, as the tubes make my apartment even more unbearably hot than it already is.

I to listen to records 90% of the time, but if there is something not available on vinyl I purchase on CD. So I do have a CD library as well. Seeing im not setup for streaming music or digi downloads its a no brainer for me. So when its time to fire up the CDP its nice to have a player that can deliver the goods in a way that makes me smile....investing in a good CDP is a good thing if you have a nice collection of cd's.

The OP has good stuff and good taste as it is.

I would ask where you feel the system is now and where you'd like it to go?
What matters to you?
Is it magic midrange? The high and low extremes? Overall cohesiveness? A large or intimate scale? Are you a big soundstage fan? Neutrality? Do you tend towards clinical monitoring or a euphonic whole sound?
Do you want your system to play well with all kinds of music or do your listening tastes tend to specialize?

There's likely to not be one magic component that will make it happen, but an approach will get you there eventually. Answering the hard questions can help you find an approach.
Knowing your approach tends to help you rule out gear that would be an experiment.

Last edited:
I would say the the things that matter to me are resolution, transparency, microdynamics and soundstage. I'm in no way a bass junkie, partly because of my apartment living. I veer towards neutrality with an ever so slight hint of warmth. Although I love detail, I don't see myself liking a bright, clinical system.

Well, I've solved the heat issue I had with running tubes in summer - I bought an air conditioner! It has been so effin hot in Brooklyn the past week, I just couldn't bear it any longer. It's been 95 - 100 degrees every day this week, and with the humidity, it feels like 107. I'm sitting now in a chilled living room, about to spin some records without a drop of sweat on my brow. And I'll be runnin' the tubes :D

You had a Well Tempered Amadeus but no air conditioner? That's pretty hard core. Bravo for stereo dedication.

Upgrades are always difficult because it depends how the new item will interact with the rest of your gear - you may add a much better CD player but you may not hear it if your system isn't resolving enough.

The best and to me only really good approach to upgrades is to go and listen to complete systems - find one that is head and shoulders over what you have - write down the components and then buy them in stages to build that system.

If the system is way way over your budget - write the components down anyway and then research their lower level priced stuff.

The best system I have heard was something idiotic like $600,000US. Obviously could not afford it but I bought an integrated amp from them and loudspeakers and a turntable.

To me this is a better approach than simply putting in brand X CD player and hoping for the best. Every piece of audio gear will get great reviews either in the press or on internet forums. Much of the press only reviews big established brands and a lot gets missed by magazines that require a minimum number of U.S. dealers. Forums are fine but people tout what they bought.

My favorite CD replay is from Audio Note - Zero times oversampling, no feedback, no error correction, no digital OR analog filters. It is the closest thing to a SET amplifier as CD gets. And it's natural sounding. But as much as I like it - it doesn't always work very well when connected to systems that are designed for such a CD player and can sound really excellent or really rather poor. Plus they're expensive.

The Line Magnetic CD 215 (and I am told their DAC is a big upgrade) is considerably less money and is very nice sounding indeed.

If you like the Devore speakers then that is probably the way to go. I would suggest Acoustic Zen, Audio Note, Teresonic, ATC, Harbeth. Only suggesting these because I also like the Devore speakers and I figure if you like one chances are you will also like the others. You will note that many of these do share a sonic flavor in terms of the wide baffle cabinets, easier to drive characteristics etc.

The Acoustic Zen Crescendo is usually shown at audio shows with Triode Co amplifiers which are made by Line Magnetic - these rooms are usually universally well liked. If you have the space - they would be worth a consideration but around the price of the Orangutan. The Audio Note E/J are much less expensive alternatives and should remind you of the Harbeth 40 or Orangutan. They're all in the ballpark - plus or minus this here and there kind of deal.

I would say the the things that matter to me are resolution, transparency, microdynamics and soundstage. I'm in no way a bass junkie, partly because of my apartment living. I veer towards neutrality with an ever so slight hint of warmth. Although I love detail, I don't see myself liking a bright, clinical system.

I feel like speakers would be your best bet in order to obtain fuller range sound, although I'm not so sure about the Devore though. They are a great match for the Leben, but the Leben is not about resolution, neutrality, and microdynamic detail; they're more about tone and musicality, and I suspect that the the Devores are also.
IMHO microdynamics is the domain of high efficiency horns, or electrostats if you have the power.

Get the 63 's with a pr of subs and dont look back

...which would it be. Having just secured a new job, I'm finally ready to buy myself something nice. I'm just not sure what direction to go.

Some of my random ideas are:

DeVore Orangutan O/93s (kind of stretching the budget for these, even with the sale of the 3XLs)
Leben CS600
Leben RS-30Q with Auditorium 23 step-up
Acoustic Plan Phonomaster
Dynavector XX2 (not necessarily an upgrade, just a different flavor)
Oppo BDP-105
Auditorium 23 interconnects
Quad ESL 63s (this would be a turning point for my entire system. I've just always wanted a pair)

I'm curious to know what others think.

Well, I made a purchase. In a few days I'll be receiving a gently used Leben CS600. I just couldn't pass up the chance to get one for a lot less than it goes for new. I also figured if it doesn't meet my expectations, I can probably flip it without much loss, considering these very rarely come up for sale.

So stay tuned for its arrival...4

Congrats on the new Leben amp. I really want to get a chance to hear some of their products due to all the positive reviews that brand has received. Maybe someone will be demoing Leben at RMAF this year?

Nice!...Congrats! Cant wait to hear about it. You're building an outstanding rig!

Last edited:
I see that I am coming to the party late as usual. However, if you consider another upgrade in the near future, I would recommend a network audio player. Living in NY, you probably have great FM stations. A network audio player will let you play music from around the world. Over 24,000 channels at your disposal.
I would never own another tuner because you get more from the network audio player.

One that has been on my short list is from Naim. They offer an all in one which comes with an integrated amplifier. Seeing that you just bought a tube amp, I would look at the NDS or the NDX. The link I provided will show all the network audio players that Naim offers.

If I could ever step up to higher end audio, it would be Naim. There are some good read on the internet about their products. If you never considered a network audio player, I would check it out if I were you. I am so glad to own one, and I cannot see myself never having one. The tuner is so obsolete, and the NAP offers so much more, and the music is heavenly. :music:

Well, I just purchased my final amp. Details soon...

And honestly, not really interested in radio. More of an album guy. The only things left on my list are a specific interconnect and next year the Oppo BDP-105D or if a new version comes out by then (BDP-115D?).

Back
Top Bottom