If you had to choose between The Kappa 9 and the Renaissance 90....

GlobalWarming

Which one would you choose?

Which one is the best overall; the most versatile speaker?

Which one will do a better job of playing Classical music, Brasilian Jazz, Motown, Salsa, Latin pop, Ballads, and others, even high pitch children voiced songs?

Yes!

My 5 year old daughter and 4 year son old love big speaker sound!.....They always ask me to play their children songs with the Kappas 7

Sorry If I sound uninformed....(Not that I have Misremembered :) ) I am just trying to learn from the experts here, since my chances of auditioning these two speakers are minimal...........

Thanks!

Nel

I am not so sure you can come up with a definitive answer to this question without a bit more context. I have owned a pair of 9 Kappas for about 17 years, and have listened to Ren90s. Generally speaking I would consider the Ren90 to be a more accurate, detailed, transparent speaker than the 9 Kappa. Not significantly so, but nonetheless it does have its nose in front when considering pure sound quality. On the other hand, the Ren90 is smaller than the 9 Kappa and would not be able to fill a large room or reproduce the dynamics (especially in the low-end when adequately powered) that the 9 Kappa is capable of.

If you have a small space, go with the Ren90. If you have a large space the 9 Kappa is probably the better choice. If you have a mid-size room, you will need to pick which is more important to you... "quality" or "quantity"?

I will reiterate that when I discuss the advantages of one speaker over the other, I am not saying the differences are huge. You will likely be happy with either one.

One thing to keep in mind is that both of these speakers are demanding of the amplifiers driving them, especially the 9 Kappa in "extended" mode (and the 9 Kappas IMO need to be bi-amped to REALLY shine). This may mean that you are not only looking for speakers, but also for amplifiers. While the Ren90 will likely cost more than the 9 Kappa, then need for more amplification will even things out.

HTH,

Rob

Rob,

that is some valuable information you have given me, thanks!

Sounds like you are quite happy with your kappas9s.....I like my Kappas 7.1, they might not be the best but I am happy with them for now.

More and more I tend to lean towards the R90.... Not now but in the future...

Thanks again for your valuable info, you really gave me what I was looking for...

Nel

i own the ren 90 for a year.

for jazz, classic, ballads and the music you are listening (me too) it`s better than kappa 9.

for pop rock disco at insane spl you will probably prefer the kappa 9`s but ren 90`s are still good.

amplification is a problem with both of them.

ren 90 needs a lot of power but kappa 9 need low impedance handling which is even worse.

i am biamping with 2x260 mid high and 2x400 low.

the kappa 9 dips down to 0.8 ohms which very few amps in the world can handle and they are very expensive.

That is really good information you have given me, thank you so much....

By the way, and out of curiosity, which amps are you using?

I have Ren90's as well as an RS Kappa home theater setup. Your choice really is challenging but the first post tended to explain the difference best. Both systems are tremendous but the Rens tend to be more able to 'disappear' when you are listening to them. They do lack a little umph in the bottom end compared to the Kappa's but now to me this is more of the Kappa's being over powering there. My Rens are my musical choice being in my music only primary system. Kappa's are in my multipurpose system.

Hope this helps.

:D
I own a pair infinity ren 90 's and a pair infinity kappa 8.1 i, my preference is ren 90 (accuracy and quality), kappa 8.1 i (privilege low frequencies)

Back
Top Bottom