If you had to get rid of it all, except 6 pieces of gear- what would they be?

Nikko Beta 30 pre
QSC USA900 power amp
NEC Renaissance 730 CD player
UTurn Audio Orbit TT with AT132EP cartridge
Kenwood KW-5006 rtr
B&O Beovox S75 speakers

Last edited:
Yes, a receiver counts as 1
It's basically individual boxes count as 1. (But with the proviso that stereo has two speakers and two amplifiers) - that's why two monoblocks are counted as 1 for the pair , two speakers count as 1 for the pair

Power points are all over this desert island. And yes, the island is big enough for all AK'ers with lots of caves. Trading equipment between island dwellers may be permitted in the future, but don't assume anyone would want your chit. You may be the only AK'er on the island in any case.

There's some interesting systems being posted that's for sure. Thanks for posting your systems. :)

Anyway, hopefully I have a nice man-cave on the desert island
I think I'd take:

Technics SL1200mk2
Sony CDP-X7esd
Jamo E-800 bookshelf speakers
Accuphase C-11 preamplifer
Luxman M03 power amplifier
Sangean ATS803A vintage world band receiver (so I can keep up with whats going on in the world)

A PC, HTPC or Music Server/NAS count as 1. (you get a bonus with that- an optical player and the ability to record) :)

Recently I had the fire warden up here to discuss our 'bushfire plan'- we live in a very high fire risk zone and there's been a bushfire up against the house once before 10 years ago, but the house was saved thanks to water bombing helicopters and multiple firefighters. It made me think about what gear I would save and what I would leave behind if I had 20 minutes to pack the car. Obviously we have two cars and the kids, pets and my partner would be safely out first. I might get one or possibly two car loads out. I would have to let all the rest burn...

My keepers:
Kenwood 700M power amp
Kenwood 700C pre amp
JBL L200's
Schiit Modi Multibit DAC
Technics SL-1401 TT
Yamaha 610 Tuner

Items to unload
Technics SL-QL1 TT
Teac A-3300SX
Nak cassette deck
JBL L65 cabs
Various other items no longer in the lineup.

And what exactly is our life expectancy on this island? Amps and speakers will probably survive more than 10 years without service, but most CD players and turntables won't, same goes for PCs/laptops. The jury's still out on DAPs, but I'm not optimistic.

For the above reason:
1. Quadral Amun Mk V (speakers)
2. H/K Citation 16 (power amp)
3. H/K HK 725 (preamp)
4. Fiio X5 II (DAC/DAP)
5. my laptop
6. my other laptop

This gives me 3 sources that perform the same function (file players). They should last 20-30 years, if I'm lucky.

Actually I might swap the H/K power/pre for an integrated amp and a tablet.

Sansui AU-X711
ADS L1290 II
Yamaha CD player
Sansui G-871DB
RSL Elans
Sansui AU-719

Actually, I can't do it. I keep changing the list.

Rob

And what exactly is our life expectancy on this island?

Let's say we live forever, and there's a tech who can fix anything, having an amazing source of parts for every piece of stereo equipment ever made.

My 6 pieces would be my thorens 124, my 2A3 amplifier, my Blu Ray player/Netflix device, my runco projector, my mcintosh c24 and my la scalas. Need to watch movies in paradise too, much as I like music!

I'm changing mine to take full advantage of the biases of our ruthless despot.

I'd sell most of my electronic components, hit the audio kitty, and buy a McIntosh 6700. I'd do it before the Audio Gestapo kicked in the door so it would be in my current system at that time.

MAC-6700 receiver
Klipschorns
Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer
Hifiman HE-400i headphones
Laptop
one of my three Sony 400-disc CD/DVD/SACD multidisc players

I'm set. Kinda cool... maybe I should really do this.

Last edited:
I'd keep the system in my signature with the exception that I'd mount my Soundsmith Strain Gauge cartridge instead of The Voice.

Linn Lp12
Rogue Sphinx amp
NAD546 cdp
Ohm C2 speakers
ADS L880 speakers (2 sets)

So many Speakers because I can't choose.

Pfft, I wouldn't get rid of anything - instead I'd feast on the goodies you guys are ditching!

Keep my
Avantgarde Duo's
Audiomat Opera
Space Tech DAC
Roksan Xerxses 20 Plus TT
Audionote Phono pre
Denon DCD S1 cdp

Simple enough, gents and ladies, don't make it difficult.

My Vandersteens would stay.
Technics SL-1400mk2
Meridian DAC
laptop
Aragon 18K pre
Onkyo M504

Now, that wasn't so hard, was it? Could I get rid of all my other fun stuff? Oh hell no.

If I were limited by box-count, I'd probably revert from my separate phono, pre, power items to my Luxman L-505u integrated, and save two slots for additional sources.

Back
Top Bottom