If your finances/partner gave you free rein ...

estreeter

Let's assume you had 20K USD and a clean slate, and your partner didn't have an issue with the size, shape or number of components. Fantasyland, right ? :D

The question is simple : do you go all out on a single 'killer' rig or do you accept that the price-performance ratio is constantly improving and adopt a more cautious approach ? This isnt just idle chatter for me 4 months from retirement, but I expect that many here asked themselves similar questions, particularly as DACs get cheaper and the range of absolutely fantastic mid-level speakers seems to have exploded.

Thoughts ?

Assuming there were no other pressing financial matters to be dealt with, I'd blow the whole wad on one system. However, I'd keep the DAC budget to within $2000 which I think is the price point where there are lots of great options without throwing money into the wind on a technology that is advancing at the speed of light.

I'd be better off building a proper room on my house with that 20k and keeping my current gear I suspect. I have hit the point where my room is what is hindering me.

I'd be better off building a proper room on my house with that 20k and keeping my current gear I suspect. I have hit the point where my room is what is hindering me.

Same here. And I'd be willing to bet the room is hindering 70-80% who participate in the hobby. And half of that percentage is probably in denial about it.

Definately a compelling question, and a hard one to answer for myself. I would surely have to take a deep breath or three, step back and just do a total rethink on what is possible and where I would want various scenarios to take me.

Right off though, the room sounds like the best starting place and maybe a bunch of new music, as I pretty much love the gear I currently have. Of course there is always that Well Tempered Versalex and Dynavector pickup and....Oh bother.

I'd blow 1/4 to 1/2 on used gear and spend the remainder on albums and room treatment.

-D

If the 20k was only for gear and not anything else, I would optimize it by buying new/used components if possible. I would start with some Devore Fidelity Orangutans and build the remaining components around those speakers with the remainder of the 20k. I would consider staying away from analog and get a great amp, preamp, and DAC as well as the associated high quality cabling, etc. I would also focus on tubes because IMHO I can get more bang for the buck from them over their SS counterparts. Just an opinion, mind you.

Easy for me. If the 20k was EARMARKED for audio gear, I'd buy the McIntosh of my dreams.
But I grew up idolizing Macs, near their factory in Upstate NY, so it's a no-brainer for me. Probably blow it all on a killer Amp/Preamp.... probably. Not sure.
Two MC 1201's are gonna set you back 16k alone.

Last edited:
Woo $20,000.00 I would spend every penny !!! Lol tubes and stats , that should blow it all!!!

Hmm.. maybe some Jadis, Ongaku or Goldmund. I'd certainly like to try some Avante-Garde Uno speakers or Wilson Watt-puppies/ Grand slamm..

Actually, I'm pretty much there - spousal approval no problem, have the $20K system I think is the best cost/benefit tradeoff. If I was starting from scratch right now, I don't know if I'd do anything different. Now, if I *really* had no financial constraints .... :)

Ongaku in a 20K budget ? I guess this *is* a fantasy thread, but you could spend 20K on cables if you are going to go down that road .....

MWalt-I would have to admit the Devores would be on the list to check out, along with Trenner & Friedl's Pharoah speaker, not sure what amplification I would listen to with them, but there certainly are several combinations that would work.

I also would love to listen to WLM's Diva with their Sonata tubed integrated. So many choices there would be....Tim

I've been giving this some thought ... and having recently downsized my gear to a hodge-podge of junk, it makes for more interesting consideration.

I'd probably go with Keith Herron gear (my best-in-show at AXPONA), DeVore speakers (among my favs. at RMAF), and a new VPI Classic turntable, cart. TBD. No idea on digital, probably just get a simple Sony SCD-XA5400ES (gets high praise from a lot of analog guys). Fitting this all into $20k might not be possible, but I think it would be close.

Indeed the bigger question is if my listening space is worthy of said system and what I might have to do about that dilemma first. :scratch2:

Actually if I had $20K to spend I would buy a Larrivee OM9 guitar and spend the rest on speakers.

Pretty content with the system at this point but could use some furniture for the listening room!!! Or better yet, Disney for the kids would be nice............................

My ears have been validated....three respondents put Devore (Orangutan for me) on their wish list!

Have any of you heard them with SS gear? I heard them with ARC tube only.

Me too.

Same here. And I'd be willing to bet the room is hindering 70-80% who participate in the hobby. And half of that percentage is probably in denial about it.

Or just don't realize what a difference the right room treatment can make.

Back
Top Bottom