If Zep didn't f*ck off so much

AudioGeek

too hip to function
I mean, you gotta deal with Jimmy's excessive guitar antics on "Dazed", and Plant's yowling vocals on some of the other tracks. So where's the fit?

Ya got me AudioGeek. :dunno: I've never thought live performances were LZ's forte. A local station plays an hour
of mostly live/bootlegs at 7 pm, no incentive to want to buy a ticket there.

Carl

My personal favs are their blues tunes. Plant plays a mean harp when he wants to (Levee for ex.). Without a doubt, their best tunes are not the dozen or so played ad nauseum by most classic rock stations.

JD

I have never gotten excited over any of their stuff except for the first album. I thought THAT was groundbreaking.

Absolutely hate Plant's voice, and I don't think I ever want to hear "Stairway to Heaven" again.

TA

I was never a huge fan of LZ but liked some of their tunes (I like that tune that turns into a Cylpso beat in the middle), but don't want to hear Stairway to... ever again again... overplayed!

I always thought that the best thing about Fred Zep was their originality. Nobody sounded like them.

I thought that Plant was a good guitarist mostly because he didn't resort to 'cliches' with his licks, a la Joe Perry of Aerosmith.

Never liked Plants voice (if you can call it that), but it fit in pretty good with what they were trying to do.

IMHO

Just last night I found myself sitting pantless, with a cold glass of suds, listening to 'No Quarter' on vinyl on the big Pioneer's I can't seem to sell.

Cheers,
Russ

Well, I guess I should have been more specific - I mean some of the things they do in their concert vid's/live stuff. I know it was the 70's and it was part of their schtick, but after about half a minute into the solo in the live versions of "Dazed & Confused", I could beat that violin bow over Jimmy's neck. Same when Robert does one too many of his "MAma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma...". :bash:

I've always been a big Zep fan for most of their stuff, at least until the "Presence" and "In Through The Out Door" era when I thought their output really went downhill.

Maybe I just got old? :sigh:

Originally posted by heathkit tv
ZEP? Silly me, I thought you were talking about THIS

Anthony

:lmao:

Dudes, Zepplin RULES!! Sometimes complex, weird offbeats, absolute hard rock & blues. Every time I think I've found someone better in that department I end up back with the kings - LED ZEP!!

Put them up to who.... The Who? buzzz. Kinks? buzzz. The Grand Funky Railroad? buzzz. BTO? buzzz. Hendrix? Close, sometimes ;), but buzzz.

I'm not sure the Stones are *exactly* in the same catagory but if I had to choose - buzzz.

And I like all these bands, though compared to the New Yardbirds I'm sure there's a million more out there that would get - buzzz.

Boy, people sure are getting buzzzed around here :D !

The only rock band I would consider better is the Beatles. But they stand alone, on a very high plateou.

I still don't mind Stairway, once in a while.

Just IMO!

Pete

The who? Who are they? For that matter, who's on first?

All I know is that Mama's got a squeezebox and I never get no sleep at night.

Anthony

Dazed and Confused from the Song Remains the Same is a masterpiece of guitar playin! And the bow work is fantastic! I don't listen to it all that often anymore but it still ranks high on my list for one of the greatest rock guitar solo performances ever. On the concert video there are a few mistakes in his playing that are absent on the album. (Must have been redone somewhere along the line)
I also like No Quarter,Moby Dick,Whole Lotta Love and The Song Remains the Same. I have to agree that Stairway to Heaven has been overplayed and don't care to hear it either.
Another favorite Zep tune is Achilles Last Stand if I recall the name correctly, Kashmir and Heartbreaker and Since I've Been Loving You.
And I've never liked the Who.:)

I don't get out to rock concerts much anymore but through Netflix I watch a ton of live dvds.

Even the old lady (who really could care less) said Zep had been the best so far.

The big mistake most of the bands make is they play to the camera instead of the audience, and don't rock it. If I was in those audiences I'd be pissed!

BTW, when I was lucky enough to visit Soho I actually looked around for a "Bobbie" so I could pretend to be passed out in a doorway, for a picture of him prodding me with a nightstick!! From Who are You. No luck, though :( .

Pete

Re: The Who...The Kids Are Alright in my book. As far as Fred Zep goes, my only problem with them was their tendancies to "borrow" Chicago/Delta blues songs and claim them as their own. A common nasty habit of many groups back then. I still think their first album was their best.

I rather enjoy LZ's studio music, even if a lot of it whitebread blues. I have worn out and replaced the first 3 albums, bought a box set too. Live though? big difference.

Carl

LZ 2 is their best album IMO - I am a big Zep fan, but can see how someone wouldn't like Plant's voice. For instance, I cannot stand Geddy Lee's vocals one bit.

Back
Top Bottom