ifi Nano iDSD Black Label

AdlerW

Hi everybody. I didn't see a thread about this DAC/amp, so I thought I'd create one. Every review I've read so far of this DAC has been very positive.

I just bought one to replace my Dragonfly Red. I will say right off the bat that it does sound better than the DFR (a bit more bass response mainly), though they are close. I've been using it mainly for classical, but also rock and electronica (paired with Sennheiser HD599s).

Description

The Nano iDSD BL was released in November 2017. It has a Burr Brown DAC chipset (though I've found no specifics about which DAC chip is used) and supports DSD as well as MQA and PCM up to 384 KHz. It has an analog volume dial, USB input, two headphone outputs (one optimized for IEMs), a line out, and a filter switch (though I've yet to discover exactly what effect this has).

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd-bl/

Impressions

When I first got it, I had an issue with clicks and pops while pausing and changing tracks, as well as when switching YouTube videos. This problem can be solved by updating the firmware to 5.3C (it will come with 5.2).

The sound is warm overall, which is what I prefer, but highs are not obscured. The soundstage is very wide, and it can seem a bit too artificially wide in some tracks. But after using it, the soundstage of the Dragonfly Red or the Schiit Modi/Magni doesn't seem to be wide enough for me. The volume knob is quite sensitive, but this isn't an issue for me as I always shut it off when I'm not using it. I have not yet used it with a smartphone.

Anyone else have one of these? What are your thoughts so far? Here are some photos of mine:

zS55sTF.jpg

z1N4CQE.jpg

IMG_1878.png

(The cable I'm using is my own USB-C to A cable. It comes with a somewhat unsightly blue USB-A cable).

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention an unfortunate negative to this DAC. I'm using it with my 2017 MacBook Pro and unfortunately I've found that there is a noticeable click/pop when a track stops and when a new one starts. No DAC I've ever used up to this point has done that, despite all the stories I've heard about problems like that. Now I have not heard any clicks or pops during playback, that would've made me return it right away, but I am disappointed that there are any clicks and pops at all, since my Schiit Modi, Dragonfly Red, and various Fiio DACs I've used in the past never did this.

Just wanted to mention an unfortunate negative to this DAC. I'm using it with my 2017 MacBook Pro and unfortunately I've found that there is a noticeable click/pop when a track stops and when a new one starts. No DAC I've ever used up to this point has done that, despite all the stories I've heard about problems like that. Now I have not heard any clicks or pops during playback, that would've made me return it right away, but I am disappointed that there are any clicks and pops at all, since my Schiit Modi, Dragonfly Red, and various Fiio DACs I've used in the past never did this.

Are you using usb or optical? I’ve had that issue with optical outputs from several apple devices. They turn off an on when there is no signal present sometimes. I don’t thing you should be having any issues via USB though.

- Woody

It's USB. This DAC only has only USB as its input.

But yeah it does seem to be the "turn off" issue, though I think it's the DAC that's turning off (or some part of it is). I haven't tried it on a Windows machine yet, but I'll try that and see if the issue is present there too.

Some DACs can't gracefully handle format changes between tracks, perhaps this is what's happening here?

But sometimes there’s a pop a few seconds after I pause a track. Additionally, if I click on another YouTube video while one is playing, there’s a rapid series of three pops before the next one starts playing.

Already have the latest firmware. Grr....

Just tried it on Windows and the same problem is there too.

Think I'm going to have to send it back. Thanks for the help, though.

Wow, so through "System Report" I saw that the firmware was actually still listed as 5.2! I tried to install the latest again, but it said "firmware update failed". I guess it never worked, but I didn't notice. For some reason the firmware update doesn't work on Mac. So I just updated the firmware via Windows and plugged the Nano back into my Mac (confirming with System Report that the firmware is 5.3C) and the clicking/popping problem is gone!

Thanks for the help :D

Congrats! I've had a iFI Micro iDSD DAC for about 3 years....love it! I run mine with a pair of Sennheiser Momentums and a pair of Denon AH-D600.

Glad to hear that the problem was solved. I have the IFi Phono which I like very much, and the DSD DAC is on my short list.

Gordon G

What cables and Power cords are you using?
A couple of additional dac's from Meridian and Pro-Ject specifically for streaming or home based dsd playback originally, both fine dac's in their own right. Dennis at D-Sonic is upgrading my amp with an improved input board he has implemented for his line, I don't expect much of an improvement to an already fantastic sounding amp but he does say I will detect an increase in gain. (sound level at at given volume setting, say 9 O'clock for instance will be louder)

Thinking about a full silver USB cable's but haven't pulled the trigger on that investment yet, any advice from you would be greatly appreciated, free free to advise in a private conversation if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom