Ikea Besta is the Best!!

..........Worlds better than the particle board junk you find at WalMart at any rate.........

The thicker boards on the top and bottom are quite heavy and I would argue better than real wood for resonance avoidance. Plus I don't think they will bow or anything with the type of weight I am putting on it compared to the particle board stuff you might get from Target or wherever................

.........Just so you know they "better" thicker boards are just particle board. Nothing special. The same stuff furniture from Target is made out of.

..........The top, bottom and centre upright for the Besta are the same as the outer panels for Expedit. They are a honeycomb construction similar to a hollow-core door.

I was going to ask, if it's not particle board or real wood, what is it? I see that my question is answered, thanks.

I've noticed that some furniture makers have begun using something that appears to be many layers of flat cardboard glued together. It's kind of like MDF.

Well thanks for all the comments. I really enjoy this little Rotel, it has a nice sound and looks nice up on the Besta.

Hifioutlaw, it looks like you have something different than my bookshelf. Is that two pieces stacked together?

Nice to see my fellow audiophiles getting use of our products :D I am responsible for the network and I.T. for the plant in Virginia that makes the Besta line for the North America stores.

The Expedit line is also cool for the LP collections I think... And I personally use the Billy line with glass front doors with black wood background for all of my cd/dvds. Never seen a cd/dvd case/bookshelf I like better for large disc collections.

We also have a plant in Portugal HiFiOutlaw

Nice to see my fellow audiophiles getting use of our products :D I am responsible for the network and I.T. for the plant in Virginia that makes the Besta line for the North America stores.

The Expedit line is also cool for the LP collections I think... And I personally use the Billy line with glass front doors with black wood background for all of my cd/dvds. Never seen a cd/dvd case/bookshelf I like better for large disc collections.

We also have a plant in Portugal HiFiOutlaw

You guys should have never stopped making the inserts for the Billy bookcase that let you convert each shelf into two CD shelves!

Bill

I saw an episode of "Ultimate Factories" (on CNBC?) on an Ikea factory in Europe that makes the Billy bookcase. OMG! I can't believe the sophistication involved. Almost no human involvement. :thmbsp:

I second the Billy bookcase for CD storage, although Ikea should put back into production the CD storage inserts.

I seem to remember there was (is?) a Besta bookcase similar to the Billy, except at half the depth. I don't see it anymore at my local Ikea.

I was going to ask, if it's not particle board or real wood, what is it? I see that my question is answered, thanks.

I've noticed that some furniture makers have begun using something that appears to be many layers of flat cardboard glued together. It's kind of like MDF.

I do not know what the thick panels on this unit are made out of, but Ikea has been using carboard for large panels for a very long time. Those are laminated layers of honeycomb-type cardboard, surrounded with a veneer layer. Different than what you're describing, I think, but it is quite strong (Gehry's carboard furniture wouldn't have worked if it wasn't).

You guys should have never stopped making the inserts for the Billy bookcase that let you convert each shelf into two CD shelves!

Bill

Who knows why companies stop the things they do. Maybe because they make a Billy CD case now? I dunno. But if you talk to the supervisors at the stores, IKEA is pretty attentive on what their customers tell them, and they pass it along. More so than a lot of big companies.

This is the cd cases between the bookcases.
0096232_PE235776_S3.JPG

This is the ones I use with the glass doors with black wood behind the glass. These particular glass doors are called Morebo and come with the black backing wood for the glass, and the small handles. I use the book case portions for larger dvd and bluray cases myself.
ikea_005.jpg

I like Ikea. Its not hand built craftsman level quality, but its respectable with a fair price. Worlds better than the particle board junk you find at WalMart at any rate. I like that its somewhat customizable too, often with different finish, color, or leg options. I have one of their Poang chair / footstool sets that I actually use as my listening chair and the ubiquitus Expidit for record storage.

Just enjoyed Hot 'Lanta/Liz Reed/Whipping Post in my Poang (and a Recoved Thrift Store footstool). Love it!
MS

Who knows why companies stop the things they do. Maybe because they make a Billy CD case now? I dunno. But if you talk to the supervisors at the stores, IKEA is pretty attentive on what their customers tell them, and they pass it along. More so than a lot of big companies.

This is the cd cases between the bookcases.
0096232_PE235776_S3.JPG

This is the ones I use with the glass doors with black wood behind the glass. These particular glass doors are called Morebo and come with the black backing wood for the glass, and the small handles. I use the book case portions for larger dvd and bluray cases myself.
ikea_005.jpg

My guess is they saw the success of the iTunes store.

When I outgrew my Billy I picked up a Dromme:

attachment.php

Then I outgrew that and had to steal the Billy insert idea and adapt it to the Expedite:

attachment.php

attachment.php

So yeah...I'm and Ikea fan!

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 599
  • P1030038.jpg
    P1030038.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 594
My guess is they saw the success of the iTunes store.

When I outgrew my Billy I picked up a Dromme:

attachment.php

Then I outgrew that and had to steal the Billy insert idea and adapt it to the Expedite:

attachment.php

attachment.php

So yeah...I'm and Ikea fan!

Bill

Looks really good. And I especially like the Beatles on stage lol...:D That Expedit was probably made here in Virginia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom