Ikea Expedit for record storage - show yours!

GPJeff

After reading reviews on the net about the Expedit, we headed to the Houston Ikea to pick one up Saturday. I decided to go with the 8 cube model. My fiancee wants another one for her books, but she wanted the 16 cube and Ikea was out of them. I bought the 8 cube for $69 and a 4 cube for $39. We have learned that it's best to go to Ikea after 8 pm so that you can walk around and look without getting trampled in the parade. We got home after midnight (2 hr drive to Houston each way) and I put the 8 cube unit together in about 30 mins. While I was putting it together, she was looking online at the Ikea site to research some items she seen at the store and the ad for Sunday had the 4 cube Expedit for $19!!!! $19!!!!

I put the 8 cube together and from what I can tell it is meant to fasten to a wall for lateral support. In my case I have a wall outlet in the location that I have set for the unit (nowhere else to put it!). When you push on the unit from the side the unit sways/ deflects from side to side. To remedy this, I went to Lowe's and bought a piece of 4'x4' peg board and cut it to fit the back side of the unit. I nailed the peg board about every 4" on center of the unit's side's back side. Fixed that problem!
Back
IkeaExpedit2.jpg

Front
IkeaExpedit3.jpg

Each cube is approx 13 3/16" wide. I don't like a real snug fit where you have to work on pulling out an LP, but I do want them to stand up vertically. As a non-scientific measurement of lp/inch, I just grabbed an inch worth of single disc lps from a cube that I feel comfortable with. I measured 7 LP's/ inch.

7 lp/inch * 13 inch = 91 lp's per cube.
IkeaExpedit.jpg

Your mileage may vary. I would say a good approximation is 90 lp's per cube.

My rack with my lp's. The top cubes has not been organized.
IkeaExpedit1.jpg

Lots of new owners following the $20 sale price yesterday? There must have been at least 50 people lined up at the store here to buy $20 Expedits -- with some buying 5 or 6 units. I was more restrained -- picked up 2 units that I'll keep as spares for when my current Expedits are filled.

I do wish that they still carried the Walnut finish.

Ok, a revision. I counted LP's on a snug fit cube. I had 86 LP's - mix of single & double sleeve covers. So I guess a better number would be in the 70-80 LP per cube range.

Interesting Idea. I just use a few file boxes but those could free up space and allow one to have an all Alice Cooper cube. Hmmmm

IKea is about a hour from here.

Everything is in a disarray right now so don't mind the mess, still working on my little studio room. In the middle of building a nice console on top of the smaller expedits :scratch2:

Chuckles :smoke:

Attachments

• 100_3484.jpg
    100_3484.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 716
  • 100_3483.jpg
    100_3483.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 378
  • 100_3485.jpg
    100_3485.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 389
  • 100_3486.jpg
    100_3486.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 374
I have two of the double row, the 4x4 seen to the right, and a single-row 5 cube that's on 6 wheels in another room.

IMG_2134.jpg

Currently:

IMG_2297.jpg

And when the Quads were in another room with the single row shelf. This shelf is my favorite of the bench. I think they look better on wheels, but would only put the single row ones on them...I don't trust the integrity of the double row shelf on it's side with wheels under it:

IMG_2032.jpg

Last edited:
Those look awesome! I'd love to start with an 8 cube unit, but the closest Ikea is almost 300 miles from me, and I just can't see shipping a $70 cabinet for $349 shipping cost. Any other units floating around that are almost as nice?

Those look awesome! I'd love to start with an 8 cube unit, but the closest Ikea is almost 300 miles from me, and I just can't see shipping a $70 cabinet for $349 shipping cost. Any other units floating around that are almost as nice?

Not an expedit, but a Sauder clone, unfortunately when I went back to get another, the store was no longer carrying them?! So I am in the same predicament. Anyway, no where near the collection of some of you guys but:

edit: man looks like its time to get back in there and reorganize some wires, dont usually see it from that angle

Attachments

• rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 349
old set up 4X2
e1-1.jpg

new set up, two 5x1's

room.jpg

John , your set ups look awesome, you must have to mop up the drool when guest come over!

Just one 5x5 for me. It's a mess right now since I've had to move it to a different spot in the basement. The mess you see to the left are records that are waiting to be cleaned and put into the shelf. Problem is I'd rather be listening than cleaning so I only clean one or two records at a time. :music: I figure by the time I'm done, I'll be taking up the top two rows with LP's. Guess I'm going to be busy this winter.

On the top of the case are the TT's that are sitting out of rotation. Currently Empire 598 (all taken apart right now), Well Tempered Amadeus, and HK ST-6. The Pioneer PL-L1000A is hooked up to the system right now.

P1030412.jpg

Not an expedit, but a Sauder clone, unfortunately when I went back to get another, the store was no longer carrying them?! So I am in the same predicament. Anyway, no where near the collection of some of you guys but:

edit: man looks like its time to get back in there and reorganize some wires, dont usually see it from that angle

Got a model number? That looks pretty nice, too.

Back
Top Bottom