I'm becoming a Genesis fan!

random_noise

hi all,
i had not paid attention to Genesis until i got a live LP in a box with other used records.
some excellent music in there.

yesterday got Tresspass in a local record shop, without really knowing what to expect, and... more excellent music!
plus it's a great LP, 2008 release, dead quiet and great recording over all:banana:

the question is, what are the 'must have' Genesis albums?

hi all,
i had not paid attention to Genesis until i got a live LP in a box with other used records.
some excellent music in there.

yesterday got Tresspass in a local record shop, without really knowing what to expect, and... more excellent music!
plus it's a great LP, 2008 release, dead quiet and great recording over all:banana:

the question is, what are the 'must have' Genesis albums?

All of them!

But I would start with the classics. Foxtrot, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Selling England by the Pound, then look for Nursery Cryme, A Trick of the Tail, and Wind and Wuthering.

If you like those six then buy the rest of them:yes:

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/genesis-mn0000199995/discography

nursery cryme, foxtrot, selling england, lamb and the live album. you already have trespass

I'm not a Genesis expert, but there was the Peter Gabriel led band and then later the Phil Collins led band. Different styles for sure.

3 Sides Live is probably my favorite Genesis album

+1 ... I liked the Peter Gabriel & Phil Collins era's ... so it's all good to me.

220px-Trick76.jpg

One of favorites was Trick of the Tail ... Phil Collins (drummer primarily) surprised everybody by taking over lead vocals for the departing Peter Gabriel. Fans who were worried about the bands future could rest easy at that point.

Genesis on A Trick Of The Tail Complete Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zee0uGa_sE

If you get a chance to pick up some copies of UK pressings of Genesis on the Charisma label ... don't pass it up ... they are great sounding pressings.

Y86ppj2y90P3tD0aHbLa8BEjslcW58Mk0rdJ-4q-NJ6csRhLIVdZ8zsya6k5mMdYhvftlO1508dGH3Znbplus2ndFU4ZNPCleV7mjCn_UvzH4Fzq

2342516820_c460098848.jpg

Last edited:
thank you all, the hunt begins:smoke:

If you get a chance to pick up some copies of UK pressings of Genesis on the Charisma label ... don't pass it up ... they are great sounding pressings.

the live one i have is Charisma:D

Attachments

• DSC00318.jpg
    DSC00318.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 18
Classic elegance with power ... this is the one I go to more than not ... feel your body melt ...

51KRYEAZW9L.jpg

If you like Collin's vocals, along with Trick & Wind, check out And Then There Were Three. That's about where I leave off with Genesis, everything up to that.

nice to have lots of stuff to discover:smoke:

also, i just realised, my Trespass copy is Charisma too:yes::eek:

Attachments

• DSC00319.jpg
    DSC00319.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 16
I am partial to the Gabriel era Genesis in particular the first "Genesis Live" record. the highlights for me off that issue are "Watcher of the Skies" & "Get 'em Out By Friday.' Collins was an excellent drummer long before he became a popular singer.

I am partial to the Gabriel era Genesis in particular the first "Genesis Live" record. the highlights for me off that issue are "Watcher of the Skies" & "Get 'em Out By Friday.' Collins was an excellent drummer long before he became a popular singer.

His drumming is best with Brand-X

As someone who celebrates this bands entire output (though I haven't really given Calling All Stations more than a passing listen), along with the solo albums of most of its members, I will agree completely with all the recommendations made up to this point, but add Duke to this list, along with a second vote for Three Sides Live as it contains the best version of Afterglow recorded. The performance is so powerful it gives me goosebumps and leaves the studio version in the dust.

My favorite is Selling England by the Pound with The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. I urge everyone to look out for a Canadian band called The Musical Box. They are a tribute band but they have the full backing and acknowledgement by the members of Genesis, in fact they use some of the original costumes in their show and when they tour they do an entire album in one sitting then they do individual songs from Genesis's canon of work.
These guys are great...

Last edited:
There was even show where Phil sat in on drums for a song or two for The Musical Box at a show they played in Switzerland a few years back if I remember correctly. I would love to see them, but it hasn't worked out yet.

Lamb Lies Down is an impressive rock opera. I'm kinda partial to it because I saw them perform the entire album live and non-stop at a local college. One of only five stops on the tour where they did the entire stage production if I remember right.

True story - a local DJ by the name of Aris Hampers played a lot of their stuff way back in the day while they were little known here in the colonies. Word of mouth spread, and they started getting a lot of airtime. The band scheduled the little college town of Allendale, Michigan as a thank you.

Best ... show ... ever! Last notes played, dead silence in the Dome for what seemed like forever. Audience (including me) was stunned beyond belief.

Then of course, pandemonium ...

And of course, the obligatory encore ... Watcher Of The Skies, The Musical Box, and The Knife!

PS ... the remastered CD/DVD package includes the full stage production. Quite the extravaganza, even for Peter Gabriel, and that's sayin' something! Also includes all the slides used as background in the show.

I just listened to Abacab on CD thru my Carvers Polk SDA 2bs again. I feel like I'm right in the studio with Phils drums on the song Abacab. Wow. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom