I'm done with PVA glue cleaning

neevo

Bought a bucket of records from a local record fair last weekend and set to cleaning them with wood glue. Ran out of my current bottle so bought another one from Bunnings.

Turns out it doesn't work anymore and now I have a load of records that have glue stuck to them :(

The glue is brittle when I try and get it off and seems much firmer stuck on too. I had to soak a record and scrape the glue off with a chopstick but there is still glue stuck deep in the grooves.

Tried another glue too and it worked but the glue is already on most of the other records.

If anyone has any ideas I'm open to help.

I've also bitten the bullet and purchased an ultra sonic cleaner and will build a frame to spin the records too. I'm hoping that will help with the record with glue still in the grooves.

I would try putting the good glue over top the bad glue, hopefully the good glue will stick to the bad glue and pull it out of the groves.
Also make sure you put on a thick layer so it will come off in one piece.

Already tried that, the new layer peels off leaving the old layer underneath but manages to rip the old layer up a bit in the process. Might get all of it off in about 8 goes but i don't have the patience for that.

you could try Elmer's Glue or school-kid's general purpose white glue. I would look thru
the old AK threads to find what others used in Oz other than Parfix.

here in the US, titebond II was the solution, version III did wonky things like Parfix.

That's what you get for not reading the entire Wood Glue cleaning thread. I posted more than once that people need to avoid Parfix. Do a search under my moniker theophile as the author and Parfix as the search term and you will see that I warned about what happened to you.

It's odd that I had a full 4L that worked perfectly, but maybe it's the price that means the formula is not consistent.

Either way I'm building a ultrasonic cleaner instead. Just need to try and get this glue off and then hope the ultra sonic cleaner gets the rest out of the grooves too, otherwise these LP's might have to be retired :(

@theophile i found that thread. Seems I had 2 very different experiences with Parfix however the first bottle seems to be the anomaly as both bottles after are exactly what you describe. Brittle glue that won't peel off.

Did you find a solution to getting the glue off? Currently I've found that soaking the records underwater to soften the glue, then peel it off with a chopstick under running luke warm water.

As I'm building and accumulating parts for a ultrasonic cleaner I'm trying to find slow turn motors (around the 5 rph speed) on the auction site.

Can anyone help me?

I've purchased a 4-5 rpm motor already (microwave platter motor), but would prefer something in the 5 revs per hour so that the record is in the ultrasonic cleaner longer each revolution.

Last edited:
I've purchased a 4-5 rpm motor already (microwave platter motor), but would prefer something in the 5 revs per hour so that the record is in the ultrasonic cleaner longer each revolution.

The motor assembly I bought in the US came with an adjustable power supply. The label says it will work on 110 and 240 volts.

https://www.amazon.com/Velleman-PSSMV1USA-3-12Vdc-Switching-Supply/dp/B00068U44I

For the motor they supplied, the 3 volt setting will give one rotation every seven minutes, which isn't 5 revolutions per hour, but is pretty slow.

Some people use a rotisserie motor from a bar b que. Maybe one of those could be made to run five revolutions per hour?

Good info. Thanks. I've purchased a 12v geared motor that does 0.6 rpm and will buy one of those stepped dc wall warts to see if I can reduce the speed further with voltage.

Clear scotch tape can also help pull off stuck sections of glue. I've used it on a couple of my own that had some glue spots left after the peel.

Put it on. Rub it down so it's got a good grip. Then yank it off fast (think leg waxing (ouch!)).

Clear scotch tape can also help pull off stuck sections of glue. I've used it on a couple of my own that had some glue spots left after the peel.

Once Parfix is stuck and set, a Jackhammer wouldn't get it off.

Put it on. Rub it down so it's got a good grip. Then yank it off fast (think leg waxing (ouch!)).
Sounds like a Frank Zappa lyric

Agree with theophile, it's in there good and getting it wet/soft with water and scraping it off seems like the only option.

I've bought an ultrasonic cleaner as I build stuff in my shed and having one will be another great tool at my disposal:

6EC5B715-66BA-40BE-809A-23832E370B86_zpsnxlwitad.png

Using the dimensions I set to building a frame to carry the records and motor to spin them. Did it in PVC pipe as it cheap and easy to use and had it knocked up in an hour or so:

D4AAADE8-8D02-4412-94B2-41F606F77C6F_zpsuch0p618.jpg

390F6E9A-D4A3-42CB-8E7D-5AE75F47DA22_zpsfkcv2b0d.jpg

4C4468C2-E621-49CD-9F4D-BF05AB64DE64_zpscuhxvulk.jpg

I bent a metal plate to carry the motor on one side and will work out a simple, easy to remove system to attach a spindle of records to the motor:

BC77CF8B-E1A1-41E4-9BE5-E8E4011C2788_zps4npxkz0e.jpg

I have some brass rod and some more PVC parts here ready to make the spindle. Will share more as I pull it together. I'll also paint the metal plate satin white as I have some left over from a Sonos connect mount I made and I will make the whole thing look a little less home made.

As I'm building and accumulating parts for a ultrasonic cleaner I'm trying to find slow turn motors (around the 5 rph speed) on the auction site.

Can anyone help me?

I don't know if you'll find these on ebay, but search for Hanson/Synchron motors. They make motors like this in just about any rpm or rph. You might find this thread at diyaudio beneficial: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/218276-my-version-ultrasonic-record-cleaner.html

Few steps closer to having my record cleaning setup done. Managed to install a dc connector and also a switch for the motor:

1F9B97FD-A45B-4ABB-820D-0557B46FC56E_zpsdbhcrw6q.jpg

Plus also managed to repurpose some PVC end caps into some record holders for the shaft (they should be big enough just to cover the labels). Had to make some threaded bolts to clamp to the end caps and installed a set screw on each so I can tighten it on the shaft if required (have some 7mm brass rod for the shaft on its way):

52BDD241-5074-4659-84B3-B659C438FF58_zpsajzzsn9w.jpg

Lastly I found some foam pieces in Bunnings that I'll drill out for the shaft too. These will be used as spacers for records. Don't plan on more than 3 records at a time:

2B4ACB53-6120-4B62-BD6A-0D86AAADEBB7_zps6atj56xx.jpg

I actually glued the front and back tubes stupidly. Not because they shouldn't be glued, but I needed to get the height right first for the shaft (and therefore record in the cleaning fluid), hopefully it doesn't need too much adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom